Best free av for vista - solved

eurotrash

Hi everyone, I am reformatting a computer and the person who owns it wants me to keep the vista os. What would be a good, lightweight, and free av for vista?  Thx in advance, eurotrash

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Hi everyone, I am reformatting a computer and the person who owns it wants me to keep the vista os. What would be a good, lightweight, and free av for vista?  Thx in advance, eurotrash

I have not dealt with Vista for years, but I think it's better to stay with the original M$ program (Defender or blablabla like that)

regards

Not much is officially supported for Vista: Avast Free, AVG Free, Panda Free , Tencent PC Manager, 360 TSE... My choice is between Chinese, but maybe I recommend Panda, it's easy one.

And 10 Pro license costs about 10 euro. So much safer and easier.

Sorry!

26 minutes ago, Radpop said:

And 10 Pro license costs about 10 euro. So much safer and easier.

a PC born with Vista can hardly use Win10 IMHO ;) 

regards

2 hours ago, neofita said:

I have not dealt with Vista for years, but I think it's better to stay with the original M$ program (Defender or blablabla like that)

Blablablå... Your advice to use Microsoft AVs is bad. Defender wasn't AV at all in Vista and Essentials isn't anymore supported for Vista.

1 hour ago, neofita said:

Blåblabla... Web searches can find several guides how to upgrade from Vista to 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-windows-vista-windows-10

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/can-you-update-windows-vista-to-windows-10/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2017/jul/13/should-i-upgrade-my-windows-vista-pc-buy-new-one-windows-7-windows-10

1 hour ago, neofita said:

regards

Humbly disagree. I have a 2009 Compaq Presario (since given to my Aunt) with Vista preinstalled; I installed Windows 10 with no issues.

Flatten it, stick Win 7 on, no idea why someone would want to stick with Vista, they'll thank you for it. Win 10 maybe not such a good idea, depending on why the EU wishes to remain on Vista (familiar with the start menu layout etc.)

@eurotrash As some of them said many top AV's don't support Vista and the default MSE or Defender is worst.

I too have old Compaq notebook and I'm in peace with Linux and sold another old windows 7 laptop with overwrite Linux and my friend is happy. Hence, the best solution for old laptop is to install Linux and live in peace for years with more secure and safest OS than bloated, spyware and crap Win 10/ troublesome Win 7/8.1 with fearsome future.

Please educate the person to install Linux. If success:

• Install suitable Linux distro (Zorin/.....) according to performance+features+usability
  • Customize it(if required) to make it much easier.
  • Educate the tools and teach some basics + basic troubleshooting + good Linux news & d/w sites+links.

If not, then install Rising AV/IS EN/Global version and done. It still support XP/Vista. Rising detection is currently good to excellent. Also, install free Anti-Ransomware tool like RansomOff/..... Also, inform the person to take backup periodically and if interested, suggest best backup tools.

Note: If the person is gonna use Vista, introduce AskWoody and ask to get in touch to keep device safer with Vista.

@jbleck In terms of MSE/Defender for other Windows versions excl Win10. MS improved more on Win10 MSE/Defender but didn't do it for other OS versions. However, the Win10 Security seems more tracking/snooping/peeping abilities and not really onto security stance for MS.

2 hours ago, vissha said:

default MSE or Defender is worst.

could u please expand this? (i would like to know the reason behind your point of view and if it applies to my needs, then maybe i could switch/tweak)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

@vissha I am on Windows 10 and i must say that the "tracking/snooping/peeping abilities" are annoying, but harmless. At least for now... if these will become more then harmless , then i'll strip naked (they will not like it :P) in front of some MS establishment (with a "take it all... are u entertained?" or somethin' sign). U'll know about it from some news source ;)

I for one have nothing to lose if they'll put me in prison for some time (a few months of rest will be welcomed...). If they'll fine me, then i'll add it to my collection of "useless paper use".

Remove vista and install some light weight Linux distro on it, no need for any AV !

Learning curve is not so steep in today's Linux distributions

14 hours ago, eurotrash said:

I chose Bitdefender free because it is still supported on Vista.

Congrats! Checked first Bitdefender free from manufacturers site: "In order to keep Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition running smoothly, you’ll need a PC with Windows 10, 8.1, 8, or 7 SP1, 1.5 GB RAM, at least 800 MB of hard disk space (but we recommend 2 GB), and an Intel CORE Duo (2 GHz) or equivalent processor. Software requirements: Internet Explorer 10 or higher." So, no Bitdefender recommendation for Vista.

Chinese AV-creators support old computers because big numbers of them are still in use in China. Tencent uses Bitdefender definitions and has been excellent in AV-Comparatives tests for ages.

I would choose Webroot.

12 hours ago, mclaren85 said:

I would choose Webroot.

Why not? It supports Vista, it's light (even on virus detection), but it isn't free which was one of the demands by ET. 

My mistake, a friend told me bitdefender was vista friendly, it wasn't, lol. Anyway, in the end I went with Avast. Thanks again guys for all your help!

Archived