Dont install or upgrade to CCleaner 5.45

Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund

August 01, 2018

Piriform/Avast released CCleaner 5.45 recently to the public that Windows users may not want to install or upgrade to.

The changelog of the new release highlights the change in euphemistic terms: "Added more detailed reporting for bug fixes and product improvements". The company added privacy options to CCleaner in May and stated back then that it collected only anonymous data from free users and did not display the options to free users because of that.

CCleaner users who run the new release may notice two changes immediately: It is nearly impossible to disable the monitoring part of CCleaner (Active Monitoring), and there are not any privacy settings anymore in the free version of the program.

While you may go to Options > Monitoring to disable "Enable system monitoring" and "Enable Active Monitoring" there, you will notice that the monitoring turns itself on again on the next start.

Note also that you can't close CCleaner anymore using interface controls; A click on the x-icon minimizes the program, and the right-click system tray icon displays no option to terminate the program. The only option that is available is to terminate CCleaner forcefully thru Task Manager.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/01/ccleaner-5-45-dont-install/

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

... or simply use it the right way, the settings never changed for me. B)

Clipboard01.jpg

Even disabling those options Ccleaner continue running on the background. Even if you disable the tray icon on Settings, Ccleaner continue running in the background. This and the Privacy  settings that are missing on the latest version was a topic of debate on the News & Updates post of Ccleaner https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/318171-ccleaner-5456611/

I don't see the problem in the software even let them monitor, then what they will sue users for using their free software? are they the only ones, If u own a mobile device today being apple or android u r being watched 24 hours and everything is been recorded without you knowing

Israeli_Eagle
7 minutes ago, anakin206 said:

Even disabling those options Ccleaner continue running on the background. Even if you disable the tray icon on Settings, Ccleaner continue running in the background. This and the Privacy  settings that are missing on the latest version was a topic of debate on the News & Updates post of Ccleaner https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/318171-ccleaner-5456611/

Nope, wrong. NOTHING is running in my background.

CCleaner, a tool for cleaning up the OS, was very popular in the days of Windows XP and Windows Vista. After upgrading to version 4.45, the software has been criticized because of data collection. Data protection champions do not recommend installing an update until the developers update it.

After CCleaner was purchased by Avast antivirus developer two years ago, this tool was repeatedly criticized. In May, there was an update that constantly showed users of the free version of Avast products advertising and allowed developers to share anonymous statistics with third parties. A little later the advertisement was removed, and users of the free version got the opportunity to vote against sharing their data. And now the program again causes displeased exclamations - users should think carefully about whether they need a new version.

The problem is that now the software communicates with the developer every 12 hours and transmits statistics to it. According to the developer, this is necessary in the future "to correct errors and improve the product even faster," as they say in the release. Although automatic monitoring can be turned off, after a restart, the function is automatically activated again.

Add to this that you can complete the program only by workarounds. Clicking on the cross in the right corner, you can only reduce it. Close the program by right-clicking on the toolbar, too, is impossible. In previous versions, the program could still be completed. Now CCleaner continues to work as a background constantly, and theoretically it regularly collects statistics.

Ghacks recommends shutting down the tool after every use in the Task Manager, deactivating monitoring in the settings and deactivating the autostart of the program, or, at worst, do not install the tool.

The developers said they did not collect any personal data, and also reported their intention to improve the program. In the coming weeks, it should have a new data protection setting.

Israeli_Eagle

Well....... How can I tell it nicely & polite... There are 3 options:

1. You pay the product or
  2. you pay at least with some data or
  3. you have some minimal computing knowledge. B)

Because developers in the modern world usually never do and also should not work for free!!

And we should also respect them.

how about to delete, if you don't want to use it,  unnecessary autorun instance of CCleaner which use /MONITOR switch?

maybe will be less debate about running CCleaner monitoring in the background, even after Windows restart.

ccleanerautorun.png

and for Privacy maybe it work if add this settings manually in .ini file or registry, not tested:

PrefsPrivacyShowOffers1stParty=0

PrefsPrivacyShowOffers3rdParty=0
PrefsPrivacyShareData1stParty=0

PrefsPrivacyShareData3rdParty=0

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, xanax said:

how about to delete, if you don't want to use it,  unnecessary autorun instance of CCleaner which use /MONITOR switch?

maybe will be less debate about running CCleaner monitoring in the background, even after Windows restart.

ccleanerautorun.png

and for Privacy maybe it work if add this settings manually in .ini file or registry, not tested:

PrefsPrivacyShowOffers1stParty=0

PrefsPrivacyShowOffers3rdParty=0
PrefsPrivacyShareData1stParty=0

PrefsPrivacyShareData3rdParty=0

And again... That simply NEVER exist at all if option 3. :D

Katzenfreund

Complacent posters should read again:

"It is nearly impossible to disable the monitoring part of CCleaner (Active Monitoring), and there are not any privacy settings anymore in the free version of the program."

Israeli_Eagle
14 minutes ago, Katzenfreund said:

Complacent posters should read again:

"It is nearly impossible to disable the monitoring part of CCleaner (Active Monitoring), and there are not any privacy settings anymore in the free version of the program."

Because the developers not wanna work for free!! So....... Fair enough.

Hey guys, don't you know it is recommended to don't use the default Windows firewall parameters?

I mean you have to stop all the outgoing programs except some of them (browser, mailer, etc.)...

Israeli_Eagle
3 minutes ago, DrJohn said:

Hey guys, don't you know it is recommended to don't use the default Windows firewall parameters?

I mean you have to stop all the outgoing programs except some of them (browser, mailer, etc.)...

1. Not really, because the right usage of good programs are never a real risk.

2. Any a good AV (not free) detects most issues automatically anyway, so also the internet traffic.

3. Real users know exactly what a byte or ports are... So...

3 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Because developers in the modern world usually never do and also should not work for free!!

And we should also respect them.

:lmao:

9 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

1. Not really, because the right usage of good programs are never a real risk.

2. Any a good AV (not free) detects most issues automatically anyway, so also the internet traffic.

3. Real users know exactly what a byte or ports are... So...

What ?

Do you know exactly what a firewall is ?

Israeli_Eagle
24 minutes ago, DrJohn said:

What ?

Do you know exactly what a firewall is ?

Yep... 101% sure.

I even use plus 2 hardware firewalls before and only VPN line 24/7. Programming for DD-WRT is very useful indeed. B)

But only blocking everything per default is the stupid way imho.

3 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

blocking everything per default is the stupid way imho.

Yep.  Why use a sword when a nail-cutter will do?  ? :flowers:

5 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Yep... 101% sure.

I even use 2 hardware firewalls before and only VPN line 24/7. Programming for DD-WRT is very useful indeed. B)

But only blocking everything per default is the stupid way imho. 

Sorry but you don't understand what is a software firewall.

I didn't say to block everything but only to authorize only the programs having to deal with Internet... ?

knowledge-Spammer

no matter what u all say  maybe is best u all look at it like this

ccleaner team have not fixed the last 2 or 3 versions  but  people have paid for it   the pro version i mean   i am not sure if ccleaner team real do a lifetime lic nowdays maybe maybe not 

but they still asking for money for a program that  not remove files from bin  and they want people to pay for that real 

much more i can say but real noneed  as i like ccleaner 

if they not like or want to have free version then remove it from downloads and from site  but cant have 2 versions  and both not work right 

no matter how  u look at it . its not doing what it say on the box 

The world's most popular PC cleaner It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure

its with out talks about 2 or 3 ips it use  to call home every 12 hours and they hide boxs in free version so they get more info from users   and it crash still

smart people will try free version 1st befor paying money for a program that maybe not work  ccleaner i hope fix and see i hope

Israeli_Eagle
29 minutes ago, knowledge said:

no matter what u all say  maybe is best u all look at it like this

ccleaner team have not fixed the last 2 or 3 versions  but  people have paid for it   the pro version i mean   i am not sure if ccleaner team real do a lifetime lic nowdays maybe maybe not 

but they still asking for money for a program that  not remove files from bin  and they want people to pay for that real 

much more i can say but real noneed  as i like ccleaner 

if they not like or want to have free version then remove it from downloads and from site  but cant have 2 versions  and both not work right 

no matter how  u look at it . its not doing what it say on the box 

The world's most popular PC cleaner It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure

its with out talks about 2 or 3 ips it use  to call home every 12 hours and they hide boxs in free version so they get more info from users   and it crash still

smart people will try free version 1st befor paying money for a program that maybe not work  ccleaner i hope fix and see i hope

Sorry bro, but still works perfect on a healthy system. I have zero problems and never got any wrong settings.

But CCleaner cannot repair damaged systems, such software will never exist. CCleaner only cleans and nothing else.

Example:

A key in registry is wrong and folder and file not exist, then the cleaner would clean and delete them.

BUT: The key might badly needed, only better the right folder & file.

Ergo: Tools are only made for human with brain!! The programs itself are totally useless and might create even more problems.

knowledge-Spammer
1 minute ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sorry bro, but still works perfect on a healthy system. I have zero problems and never got any wrong settings.

But CCleaner cannot repair damaged systems, such software will never exist. CCleaner only cleans and nothing else.

sorry bro u is wrong on this one i have see and tested and my pc is fine no problems with it at all

add some files to your Recycle Bin and run ccleaner from Recycle Bin

i have did some tests on ccleaner and it seems it cant remove files right it crash all times or 99.9% of the time  maybe its limited  on  how much files it can remove from  Recycle Bin  ?  ccleaner is and still have some problems  its not just me say this

Israeli_Eagle
1 minute ago, knowledge said:

sorry bro u is wrong on this one i have see and tested and my pc is fine no problems with it at all

add some files to your Recycle Bin and run ccleaner from Recycle Bin

i have did some tests on ccleaner and it seems it cant remove files right it crash all times or 99.9% of the time  maybe its limited  on  how much files it can remove from  Recycle Bin  ?  ccleaner is and still have some problems  its not just me say this

Then better fix YOUR own registry & system!!

Archived