Antivirus Test Results for Windows 10

Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund

UPDATE 31.07.2018

The reputable German AV-Test Institut at Magdeburg regularly tests antivirus products against a number of criteria: detection, false alarms, speed, usability and burden on resources. Results are just out.

This time, 17 such tools were assessed. All attained the minimum score set for satisfactory performance.

Three achieved full marks: Avira, Kaspersky and McAfee

Closely followed by: AhnLab, BitDefender, Norton/Symantec, Avast and, yes, Microsoft Windows Defender

At the bottom came: PC Pitstop PC Matic.

So Windows Defender, built into W10, is steadily climbing up the list and has almost reached the leaders. The developers whose products didn’t do as well, should ask themselves, why would a customer pay for their AV?

German source (even if you don’t speak German, you’ll see the classification)

https://www.pcwelt.de/a/antivirus-software-fuer-windows-10-im-test,3311840

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows Defender has been excellent in all tests in 2018 (AV-test, AV-Comparatives, SE-Labs, MRG Effitas). ?

Common delusion is that it slows down computer. Defender slows installing frequently-used applications but nothing else. Defender-PC is faster than industry average in launching popular websites, downloading of frequently-used applications, launching of standard software applications, and copying of files (locally and in a network).

3 hours ago, nIGHT said:

Does this mean the lightest AV now is avira?

No, not from these results. 

TrasMontano

Nevertheless Eset got a protection score of 5.5/6.0; as performance score (to who might interesset) 4.0/6.0; and a usability score of 6.0/6.0.

Highly respectable, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TrasMontano said:

a usability score of 6.0/6.0

Latest (12/2017) result for Eset 11 was 5.5 - 4.0 - 5.5, so You are mixing things on purpose or not. :tehe: Eset lost his contact to best antiviruses in October/December 2017 when the amount of new monthly malwares doubled. Eset was still excellent in detecting old malwares, but newer ones caused some troubles in Real World tests.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/december-2017/eset-internet-security-11.0-174890/

i dont understand how kaspersky , mcafee and bitdefender gets 6 grade at performance. i tested them on low build, medium build and high build and all 3 perform very bad. Real grade should be 4, not 6. My honest opinion.

faster than these 3 is norton, faster than norton is eset and faster than eset is vipre.

you cant give grade 6 to kaspersky, mcafee and bitdefender when you can see with clear eye, no need of professional tests that norton and vipre perform faster and they are graded as well with 6.

i get only one conclussion from this: notes and all tests are invalid.

knowledge-Spammer
3 hours ago, tivstip said:

i dont understand how kaspersky , mcafee and bitdefender gets 6 grade at performance. i tested them on low build, medium build and high build and all 3 perform very bad. Real grade should be 4, not 6. My honest opinion.

faster than these 3 is norton, faster than norton is eset and faster than eset is vipre.

you cant give grade 6 to kaspersky, mcafee and bitdefender when you can see with clear eye, no need of professional tests that norton and vipre perform faster and they are graded as well with 6.

i get only one conclussion from this: notes and all tests are invalid.

norton  maybe  faster but it not mean is better as its faster  plus how it cant be faster with its backdoors norton have less work to do real 

i cant  talk comments on more avs as real i not use  them

but have used both kis and norton   one is backdoor and one is not for me ill have slower if it mean no backdoor  maybe is just me think that

if u like i can give u about 30 real virus so u can do a real test if u like  its no problems for me ?

i seen this video it seem to do a good test on both

• 2 months later...
Katzenfreund

UPDATE Oct 5 2018

All products fulfilled the minimum requirements.

Full marks were attained by:

Avira, BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfee and Vipre

Only a little behind (half point) come:

AhnLab, BullGuard, Symantec, Avast, AVG and Microsoft Windows Defender,

The Windows Defender lost the half a point for somewhat lower speed.

There thus seems little point in paying for a premium product, especially one that didn't do better than the built in Defender.

See table here (German):

https://www.pcwelt.de/a/antivirus-software-fuer-windows-10-im-test,3311840?utm

Archived