Google Accused of Redirecting Users Searching For Rival Service DuckDuckGo To Duck.com, a Domain It Owns

steven36

We welcome the EU cracking down on Google's anti-competitive search behavior. We have felt its effects first hand for many years and has led directly to us having less market share on Android vs iOS and in general mobile vs desktop. A couple examples.

https://s7d1.turboimg.net/sp/b70e3c014a572b491c45af1252e7dd17/DuckDuckGo-vs-Google1.png

Up until just last year, it was impossible to add DuckDuckGo to Chrome on Android, and it is still impossible on Chrome on iOS. We are also not included in the default list of search options like we are in Safari, even though we are among the top search engines in many countries.

The Google search widget is featured prominently on most Android builds and is impossible to change the search provider. For a long time it was also impossible to even remove this widget without installing a launcher that effectively changed the whole way the OS works.

Their anti-competitive search behavior isn't limited to Android. Every time we update our Chrome browser extension, all of our users are faced with an official-looking dialogue asking them if they'd like to revert their search settings and disable the entire extension.

Google also owns and points it directly at Google search, which consistently confuses DuckDuckGo users.

Source: DuckDuckGo

• Replies 5
  • Views 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I block google and duck using a firewall on all my devices and computers.  I only use Duckduckgo and Startpage for searches.  I have been using Startpage since it first appeared as Ixquick.  I have no browsers installed on any of my computers other than IE, which I don't use.  I use portable browsers in a VM thru a private VPN or Windows running from a flash drive in diskless workstations.

DuckDuckGo is an interesting complement for some search and I use it with some frequency. Never encoutered this "redirection" scheme; just writing "duck" the first search option from Google is DuckduckGo; the second is "duck". Selecting "duck", the first result is "Duck - Wikipedia", the second, "DuckDuckGo"; all obvious results!

In any case, Google returns more results than DuckDuckGo but sometimes results from DuckDuckGo are more useful.

I don't feel the compulsory hate against Google as to block it; I feel that they are giving me an acceptable service

3 hours ago, luisam said:

DuckDuckGo is an interesting complement for some search and I use it with some frequency. Never encoutered this "redirection" scheme; just writing "duck" the first search option from Google is DuckduckGo; the second is "duck". Selecting "duck", the first result is "Duck - Wikipedia", the second, "DuckDuckGo"; all obvious results!

In any case, Google returns more results than DuckDuckGo but sometimes results from DuckDuckGo are more useful.

I don't feel the compulsory hate against Google as to block it; I feel that they are giving me an acceptable service

I dont see how anybody  could actually  really block Google without breaking a ton of websites  even this forum depends  on there services. it's so deeply woven in the web and why do you want to censor yourself like that  if do this you're no better than Google is

.My favorite search engine is  a instance of searx  were you can add all the search engines  and  get results fro them all . 

https://s7d1.turboimg.net/sp/2b23773df31a0f3ceaaad017f06ab0c3/searx_1.png

https://s7d1.turboimg.net/sp/42073551d64b77027cf5a548c243eec6/searx_2.png

On 7/21/2018 at 3:12 AM, straycat19 said:

I block google and duck using a firewall on all my devices and computers.

Have blocked Google, myself — it's not possible to block Google solely with a firewall. 8)

Archived