Will 1080p Movies work well on a 4K TV

nsan3

As I was saying, will 1080p Movies look good on a 4K TV or will it be best I get myself a 1080p TV?

• Replies 44
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jayesh30202 said:

Go for 4K tvs if  you can afford it. These are the future at least in our country.

Ya buddy I understand, its being more future-proof that way. But like will the 1080p movies look bad on it since its resolution is less than that of the TV's??

PS: I have loads of good friends from your country, had visited sometime back, loved the people and amazing food, don't forget the wonderful weather.

jayesh30202
1 minute ago, nsan3 said:

Ya buddy I understand, its being more future-proof that way. But like will the 1080p movies look bad on it since its resolution is less than that of the TV's??

PS: I have loads of good friends from your country, had visited sometime back, loved the people and amazing food, don't forget the wonderful weather.

You would need 4k rips OR lets says UHD RIPS to enjoy such tvs. Do not even think of playing a 1080p on a 4k tv. Can suggest you a few private torrent sites to download movies in 4K res/UHD.

You would need 4k rips OR lets says UHD RIPS to enjoy such tvs. Do not even think of playing a 1080p on a 4k tv. Can suggest you a few private torrent sites to download movies in 4K res/UHD.

Awesome, could you PM those site names. Would you say that the 1080p movies on a 4k TV is Unbearable or its ok-ok ??

jayesh30202
Just now, nsan3 said:

Awesome, could you PM those site names. Would you say that the 1080p movies on a 4k TV is Unbearable or its ok-ok ??

Lets just say you won't get the fun in watching a 1080p on a 4k tv. It would be just waste of money if you wanna watch a 1080p on a 4k.

If your TV is truly a 4K TV, you'll have black borders on the left and right side of your screen:

A 4K TV monitor is 4096px wide while the UHD resolution is 3840x2160px.

You have 256 more pixels than the what cans fit the 16:9 display ratio (128px to the right, 128px to the left)

The 1080p resolution is a 16:9 ratio (rectangle) which matches the UHD resolution (16:9 as well).

Your TV if 4K has a 256:135 ratio (not the same) so it's not a conventional, proportional screen size.

Your TV if truly 4K will have annoying black borders on the left and right sides of your screen.

You're better off finding the real 4K version of your movie to truly enjoy your new TV.

Also @jayesh30202 suggested that 1080p movies will look horrible on 4K TVs, but that's not always true:

Most (if not all) 4K & UHD TVs have image processing algorithms that optimize the rendered output in realtime.

It will not be perfect, but it will absolutely be more than enough for any average user.

jayesh30202
2 minutes ago, Rekkio said:

Also @jayesh30202 suggested that 1080p movies will look horrible on 4K TVs, but that's not always true:

I never said horrible. All i meant to say was the fun someone gets in watching a 4k/uhd rip can never be compared to the fun one can get into watching a 1080p video.

@nsan3 You would be buying a 4K smart tv????

1 minute ago, jayesh30202 said:

I never said horrible. All i meant to say was the fun someone gets in watching a 4k/uhd rip can never be compared to the fun one can get into watching a 1080p video.

@nsan3 You would be buying a 4K smart tv????

Yes a 4k Smart TV, but if my 1080p BluRay discs wont look good while playing on them, don't know how to move forward.

jayesh30202
Just now, nsan3 said:

Yes a 4k Smart TV, but if my 1080p BluRay discs wont look good while playing on them, don't know how to move forward.

You can go to the shop and ask them to play a 1080p bluray on that tv set. Am sure they would be able to give you a demo. Or else you can ask them to play your own bluray and you would be the best to decide.

You can go to the shop and ask them to play a 1080p bluray on that tv set. Am sure they would be able to give you a demo. Or else you can ask them to play your own bluray and you would be the best to decide.

That makes sense, I'll definitely do that. 

Any suggestions for a 55" 4k Smart TV, not too costly like Sony or anything though. I am not too keen on splurging for a TV.

jayesh30202
Just now, nsan3 said:

That makes sense, I'll definitely do that. 

Any suggestions for a 55" 4k Smart TV, not too costly like Sony or anything though. I am not too keen on splurging for a TV.

Lol i was gonna ask you which brand you were gonna go for? Sony 4k tv sets are too costly in my country, i do not know what is the price in your country. One of my friend had bought a 4k LG brand. I do not remember its price. The DOLBY ATMOS SOUND from the UHD bluray used to rock his whole house. I got no words to explain the feeling.

40 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

As I was saying, will 1080p Movies look good on a 4K TV or will it be best I get myself a 1080p TV?

One important thing you should know about videos is the bitrate.

it is not because a video is encoded in 4k that it will show perfect on a 4k monitor!

There are lot of low bitrate 1080p videos that will not please you even on a 1080p monitor.

if your 1080p movies are encoded @high bitrate like bluray ones, then you can enjoy the image quality on every monitor

Try to get a sample encoded at a high bitrate and give it a try on different monitors to see the results by yourself

15 minutes ago, Jordan said:

it is not because a video is encoded in 4k that it will show perfect on a 4k monitor!

There are lot of low bitrate 1080p videos that will not please you even on a 1080p monitor.

if your 1080p movies are encoded @high bitrate like bluray ones, then you can enjoy the image quality on every monitor

Try to get a sample encoded at a high bitrate and give it a try on different monitors to see the results by yourself

Sure I'll try that out as well.

Needed a couple of suggestions for a good 55" 4k Smart TV, nothing too expensive though.

jayesh30202
15 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Bigger the size of the movies better is the output. Also one needs to have some knowledge on the video as well as audio bitrates. Do check Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season S01 2011 [UHD Blu-ray / HEVC / 2160p / 4K / HDR / TrueHD+Atmos 7.1 / .m2ts]

2 minutes ago, jayesh30202 said:

Bigger the size of the movies better is the output. Also one needs to have some knowledge on the video as well as audio bitrates. Do check Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season S01 2011 [UHD Blu-ray / HEVC / 2160p / 4K / HDR / TrueHD+Atmos 7.1 / .m2ts]

Thanks, could you PM me the Private Torrent sites as well for 4k content.

jayesh30202
Just now, nsan3 said:

Thanks, could you PM me the Private Torrent sites as well for 4k content.

Bro first at least decide and buy the tv set, we can talk about the torrent sites later. Hope you do not mind ;)

Bro first at least decide and buy the tv set, we can talk about the torrent sites later. Hope you do not mind ;)

Absolutely, I understand.

Samsung & LG are cheaper than SONY monitors

but don't get misleaded by the prize.

There are good ones made by the corean manufacturers (some models are more performant than others)

Can't give you a concise answer about good models in 4k as i'm still using 1080p.

For the audio part, most if not all movies encoded in bluray specifications are in DTS format (high bitrate)

And you will get better audio experience only if you use an external high end audio system (not the built-in speakers)

There are lot of good ones at cheap prize out there, but also here models specs apply.

jayesh30202
2 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Absolutely, I understand.

I hope you got a home theatre ? just like @Jordansaid "you will get better audio experience only if you use an external high end audio system (not the built-in speakers)"

11 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Samsung & LG are cheaper than SONY monitors

but don't get misleaded by the prize.

There are good ones made by the corean manufacturers (some models are more performant than others)

Can't give you a concise answer about good models in 4k as i'm still using 1080p.

For the audio part, most if not all movies encoded in bluray specifications are in DTS format (high bitrate)

And you will get better audio experience only if you use an external high end audio system (not the built-in speakers)

There are lot of good ones at cheap prize out there, but also here models specs apply.

Could you share the Korean Manufacturers here, I do not know brands apart from Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi, TCL, RCA, Philips, Samsung, LG and the Great SONY.

10 minutes ago, jayesh30202 said:

I hope you got a home theatre ? just like @Jordansaid "you will get better audio experience only if you use an external high end audio system (not the built-in speakers)"

Nothing like a home theater or anything bro, cause that would burn more $$$ than I intended. Maybe a TV and an External Audio Box for now.

3 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Could you share the Korean Manufacturers here, I do not know brands apart from Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi, TCL, RCA, Philips, Samsung, LG and the Great SONY.

Samsung & LG are the Korean manufacturers.

Most of the brands you mentioned are japanese

Just now, Jordan said:

Samsung & LG are the Korean manufacturers.

Most of the brands you mentioned are japanese

Oh I see. Then I'm thinking about going forward with LG's OLED 55", what you guys think??

I really like OLED screens, the black pixels (~000000) aren't powered on:

If you go for it you won't notice the black borders in a dark room & even in daylight, because they'll not emit any light.

And if you do notice them, they won't be annoying ones like with traditional display tech.

Archived