Isn’t it time we declared our independence from bloatware?

steven36

So you’ve just bought the best Windows laptop, you’ve gritted your teeth through Cortana’s obnoxiously cheery setup narration, and the above screenshot is the Start menu you’re presented with. Exactly how special do you feel as you watch the tiles animating and blinking at you like a slots machine? I’ll tell you how I felt as I was getting to grips with the Huawei MateBook X Pro for the first time: perplexed. Perplexed that this level of bloatware infestation is still a thing in 2018, especially on a computer costing $1,499 and running an OS called Windows 10 “Pro.” Why are we still tolerating this?

https://s7d8.turboimg.net/sp/bad4d1fe6428c76cb1bb570a18b39f4c/bloat11.0.jpg

Before anyone assumes that this is just a rant against and about Windows, I’ll happily include Apple’s iOS and some varieties of Google’s Android in my scorn. The blight of undesired software and prompts is all around us. If I buy an iPhone, Apple pins the Apple Watch app on my home screen, whether I have the compatible watch or not. Or if I go to Apple’s nemesis, Samsung forces its Bixby assistant into everything I do with a Galaxy S.

Cloud storage is a common cause for unnecessary nags. I had to decline Microsoft’s offers to activate auto-backup to OneDrive three times before Windows 10 got the message. If I use the majority of Apple’s free 5GB of iCloud storage, I’ll get a daily reminder that I can pay to get more. And Google’s Photos app is so thirsty for any images I generate with my phone that it will ask me if I want to automatically back up new folders I create (such as ones for screenshots or downloaded photos). I understand that for some people and in some instances those prompts will be helpful, but those are exceptions to the rule. And the rule seems to be that companies are trying to beat us into submission through mental attrition.

https://s7d2.turboimg.net/sp/4e7a5bb9959a67f87df42cde9fd9e34d/section_two.0.jpg

To my mind, bloatware is any piece of software within an operating system that receives a disproportionate amount of prominence or system resources relative to its functionality. We can have debates about whether pushy notifications about ancillary services from the OS maker necessarily constitute bloat, but there’s little room for disagreement when it comes to third-party additions. Candy Crush Saga on Windows, the News Republic app on HTC phones, and the Oath bundle that Samsung preloads on Verizon Galaxy S9s all serve corporate interests before those of the user. Oath CEO Tim Armstrong, speaking to Reuters, leaves no doubt about it: “This gets ads one step closer to being direct to consumer. You can’t be more direct than being on the mobile phone home screen and app environment.”

Again I ask, why do we tolerate this?

The best answer I can come up with is a lack of genuine alternatives. The most horrific examples of carrier bloatware that I know of come from Korea. I’ve reviewed flagship LG phones with as many as 54 (fifty-four!) carrier-imposed bloatware apps, accompanied by carrier branding on the box, a carrier splash screen integrated into the boot-up sequence, and even a carrier-specific home screen theme. Presenting such a device to people more familiar with the American or European smartphone markets draws gasps of surprised revulsion. But that’s the thing: if everyone in Korea is used to seeing a thicket of carrier apps and nonsense preloaded on their phone, if no one is showing consumers a better option, they just accept it as an unhappy status quo and get on with life.

I get the feeling that Windows users are now in a similar class. They know they’ll get the occasional Start menu ad popping up, they know that they’ll have to spend half an hour just disabling, uninstalling, and unpinning the superfluous crap their PC comes with, and they’ve grown to accept that situation.

But the truth is that we don’t all have to continue to tolerate the crappy status quo. Google’s Pixelbook and the family of Chromebook devices from traditional PC makers give a great counterexample to the overbearing Windows experience. I can have a Pixelbook up and running in roughly the same time as it would take to brew a good cup of tea. Google’s Pixel phones are hard to find in stores, but they also present a version of Android that is far worthier of a user’s trust than the typical, overly inquisitive Android OEM variation.

Trust is an especially important theme in consumer tech this year. Revelations about Facebook’s negligence with user data, Android OEMs outright lying to their users about software updates, and the recent bizarre example of Samsung phones spontaneously texting photos to random contacts have raised the requirement for trustworthiness as well as high specs from a device maker. Few things erode that trust quite as quickly as a user interface designed to bait you into clicking on some ad that’s useless to you.

Source

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's reasonable that Windows 10 comes with some important apps, like Mail, Calendar, Weather, Music, Photos ... But Adobe Photoshop??? Netflix??? Disney?? Hidden City??? and more stupid games?? :( I don't know what happens with Windows :( 

It is not really an issue unless you make it an issue.  Windows has always had many many programs which I never use.  Just hide them, they really take up no space.  Like we aren't using 512 Mb HDDs now are we?  You can actually set your start menu up, and save its registry entries, and its xml file, and copy it over to your new setup, and all will be just the same as before, so I don't see why all the crying, and whining about this.  Plus have some consideration for all the people who absolutely LOVE these programs.  Remember most people are not computer geeks like we are, and really either don't give a crap, or this is the reason they buy computers, for the games, and internet.

37 minutes ago, Archanus said:

Well, it's reasonable that Windows 10 comes with some important apps, like Mail, Calendar, Weather, Music, Photos ... But Adobe Photoshop??? Netflix??? Disney?? Hidden City??? and more stupid games?? :( I don't know what happens with Windows :( 

People not buying windows for 10 years  at a time so now even pirates are paying for there windows  and people who pay just once have to keep paying the rest of the time they use windows with ads and them havering you're data they even allow 3 parties on windows to harvest you're data    and  Universal Windows Platform  is what happen too it . If you buy a cheap computer its even worse because then even the vendor will pack it full of junk and you need to  download windows and reinstall it out of the box . That's what I love about Ubuntu 18.04 the isos now have a option were it only installs the bare minium .

20 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

It is not really an issue unless you make it an issue.

It was always a issue for me when I use to use windows 10 it took me a day or 2 too even to get just like i wanted it. ,It's not a issue for me now because i dont use bloated windows 10 anymore.

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

It was always a issue for me when I use to use windows 10 it took me a day or 2 too even to get just like i wanted ,not issue for me now because i dont use bloated windows 10 anymore.

Before I even install Windows I modify the install.wim.  I have a program which does it all automatically, then beeps when it is done.  I wrote it.  Also, when the installation is complete, I have a program which modifies the rest of Windows for me, and installs all my programs.

33 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Before I even install Windows I modify the install.wim.  I have a program which does it all automatically, then beeps when it is done.  I wrote it.  Also, when the installation is complete, I have a program which modifies the rest of Windows for me, and installs all my programs.

That's cool  its not that hard to uninstall every app with power shell , its all that calling home and them changing stuff around every 6 months I dont like about it. I got Windows 8.1 setup the way i want it now and i dont have to do anything tell 2023 unless i have a hardware problem  and if Windows  10 have not got no better by 2023, i  just want use windows no  more or just use it with no updates and stay in Linux most of the time.  when I upgrade Windows i dont have to set up one OS i have too set up Linux too because I dont use windows all the time no more. Windows don't never play nice with linux on big upgrades they remove the grub bootloader .  A normal user would not know how too use a script  or how to use powershell ...

You don't need to uninstall apps.  I certainly don't.  I just unpin them from the Start Menu.  I actually enjoy Windows 10 immensely.  It is very fast, and I don't have any issues besides the occasional bugs Insider Previews give me.  But then, reinstalling is so painless these days it really takes no time at all. 

Screenshot_1.png

12 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

You don't need to uninstall apps.  I certainly don't.  I just unpin them from the Start Menu.  I actually enjoy Windows 10 immensely.  It is very fast, and I don't have any issues besides the occasional bugs Insider Previews give me.  But then, reinstalling is so painless these days it really takes no time at all. 

Well thats not the way i roll i dont use the crap so i remove it all . I dont want all those apps in the background calling home to everywhere on the www or haveing to block them all with my firewall.. I been tweaking windows to my liking for almost 18 years and if Windows ME would of been stable i would of liked it more than Windows 10.

Most of these guys who post IT Windows news dont know much about how to fix windows they get bent out of shape over any change Microsoft makes. Because from 1985 -2015 windows didn't change much they last time they had to change was 2014 and before that it was 2006 .. Both Windows 98 and XP got extra years support because they cared about there customers back then.  Most companies paid heavy to upgrade to windows 7 in 2013-14 and just one and half years latter they try to shove windows 10 down there throats.

I think MS cares more about customers now then they used to, but this is my opinion because of the Windows Insider Program which has millions of members contributing feedback rather than a handful of people in a testing room.  Also, my wife still uses Windows 7.  She was asked once (nicely she said) if she wished to upgrade.  She selected she did not, and she was never asked again.  I think that for the users who can't take the time, or won't take the time to read important notifications, they may feel as if Windows 10 were shoved down their throats, when actually they agreed to it.  Like I said my wife is on Windows 7 Ultimate ( or Pro or whatever,) was asked one time, and never again.

22 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

I think MS cares more about customers now then they used to, but this is my opinion because of the Windows Insider Program which has millions of members contributing feedback rather than a handful of people in a testing room.  Also, my wife still uses Windows 7.  She was asked once (nicely she said) if she wished to upgrade.  She selected she did not, and she was never asked again.  I think that for the users who can't take the time, or won't take the time to read important notifications, they may feel as if Windows 10 were shoved down their throats, when actually they agreed to it.  Like I said my wife is on Windows 7 Ultimate ( or Pro or whatever,) was asked one time, and never again.

LOL   you got confused with caring and using someone as a guinea pig  for free beta testing for businesses,  so they can make billions off the ones who dont have the money to pay for windows as a service .I would not  test for a proprietary software group unless they paid me well. But I beta test for GNU Linux all the time because they don't charge a 100 or 200 , 400 dollars for there software  .Even Google don't charge for there OS even to vendors it's freeware . Microsoft is laughing at people like you all the way too the bank  , Id tell you any words you want too hear if you come work for me for free ,,, But slavery went out in the 1800s . :P

You know why I test, and why other people test?  Because it is fun.  It has nothing to do with paying for Windows.  It is because we enjoy being part of a team which helps develop a really great Operating System.  Who cares what they charge?  I have used many versions of Linux, and I have used Google's OS.  Believe me, sometimes free is free for a reason.  Perhaps you envision yourself as a guinea pig.  That is fine.  You are allowed.  I see myself as a part of a world team of people developing Windows.  Like I said, it is fun, and this is really what counts doesn't it?  Aren't we supposed to enjoy what we are doing?  I test Windows, and I mean I really test it.  I don't run it in a VM, I run it as an everyday, all the time program.  I also do a lot of altering, and I have run many many versions of Windows.  I am on Pro for Workstations right now.  I had a digital copy even before @s1ave77 came out with his program.  I also have made Pro Education, and ServerRDSH editions.  You should really try the ServerRDSH edition.  It is amazing fast!

6 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

You know why I test, and why other people test?  Because it is fun.  It has nothing to do with paying for Windows.  It is because we enjoy being part of a team which helps develop a really great Operating System.  Who cares what they charge?  I have used many versions of Linux, and I have used Google's OS.  Believe me, sometimes free is free for a reason.  Perhaps you envision yourself as a guinea pig.  That is fine.  You are allowed.  I see myself as a part of a world team of people developing Windows.  Like I said, it is fun, and this is really what counts doesn't it?  Aren't we supposed to enjoy what we are doing?  I test Windows, and I mean I really test it.  I don't run it in a VM, I run it as an everyday, all the time program.  I also do a lot of altering, and I have run many many versions of Windows.  I am on Pro for Workstations right now.  I had a digital copy even before @s1ave77 came out with his program.  I also have made Pro Education, and ServerRDSH editions.  You should really try the ServerRDSH edition.  It is amazing fast!

I dont care why you test . It's not my problem people was doing it a year before windows 10 ever came out and it never interested me then and it sure don't interest me now.  it just shows some people are slaves to the system and some of us are not.

1 minute ago, steven36 said:

I dont care why you test not my problem people was doing it a year before windows 10 ever came out and it never interested at me it just shows some people slaves to the system and some of us are not.

Believe me I am not a slave to the system.  LOL  Actually, you are a slave to something.  I am not quite sure what it is, but I am glad I am not there!  ?

9 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Believe me I am not a slave to the system.  LOL  Actually, you are a slave to something.  I am not quite sure what it is, but I am glad I am not there!  ?

I always paid for my windows or my friends gave me legit keys, I  never needed to use a fix , I use to be a uploader and tester of  warez one of my user names even was in some nfos for some apps but even that got boring after about 5 years so now i just help out posting the news.

PsychedelicShaman
On 7/6/2018 at 5:35 AM, dhjohns said:

It is not really an issue unless you make it an issue.  Windows has always had many many programs which I never use.  Just hide them, they really take up no space.

Sorry, but it's not the same. Yes, Windows 7 and earlier always had some software pre-installed such as Calculator, Paint, Wordpad, sure, but the difference is that they were just lightweight Win32 API programs that only ran when you launched them, while those in Windows 8 and 10 are not lightweight Win32 programs, they are heavy UWP metro apps which run in background 24/7 and suck your system resources. Also, did Windows 7 constantly notify you to "Try Office 365" or "Try Edge Browser"? I don't think so, this is the exact definition of bloatware PUPs behaviour, constantly nagging you to try this or that service, it's not much different behaviour than of those shitty toolbars being put in 3rd party software installers. If you don't want such bloatware & marketing cloud crap then you should stick to Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 LTSB edition (or wait for 1809 LTSC), avoid Home and Pro editions at any cost, because even if you "clean" them using MSMG Toolkit, NTLite or PowerShell scripts, the next feature update which takes place once every 6 months will bring back all the bloat and reset all the settings to default values (they act as reinstall).

2 hours ago, PsychedelicShaman said:

Sorry, but it's not the same. Yes, Windows 7 and earlier always had some software pre-installed such as Calculator, Paint, Wordpad, sure, but the difference is that they were just lightweight Win32 API programs that only ran when you launched them, while those in Windows 8 and 10 are not lightweight Win32 programs, they are heavy UWP metro apps which run in background 24/7 and suck your system resources. Also, did Windows 7 constantly notify you to "Try Office 365" or "Try Edge Browser"? I don't think so, this is the exact definition of bloatware PUPs behaviour, constantly nagging you to try this or that service, it's not much different behaviour than of those shitty toolbars being put in 3rd party software installers. If you don't want such bloatware & marketing cloud crap then you should stick to Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 LTSB edition (or wait for 1809 LTSC), avoid Home and Pro editions at any cost, because even if you "clean" them using MSMG Toolkit, NTLite or PowerShell scripts, the next feature update which takes place once every 6 months will bring back all the bloat and reset all the settings to default values (they act as reinstall).

UWP apps do not run in the background unless you have started them.  I run the MS Weather app, and right now it is using 0% CPU, and 35 MB of RAM.  Office 365 was not around when Windows 7 launched, and neither was Edge browser so of course I was not notified, LOL.  UWP apps are not heavy, and they DO NOT RUN unless you personally run them.  Perhaps you downloaded a version of Windows 10 from a torrent site.  I suggest only using official versions.

PsychedelicShaman
3 hours ago, dhjohns said:

UWP apps do not run in the background unless you have started them.  I run the MS Weather app, and right now it is using 0% CPU, and 35 MB of RAM.  Office 365 was not around when Windows 7 launched, and neither was Edge browser so of course I was not notified, LOL.  UWP apps are not heavy, and they DO NOT RUN unless you personally run them.  Perhaps you downloaded a version of Windows 10 from a torrent site.  I suggest only using official versions.

Well, then you have completely different experience than me and everyone else i know in the IT field, because it is known fact among us that Win10's UWP apps keep running in the background by default unless you disable that in the "Settings" app, it's so much of a problem that even the third party Start Menu replacement for Windows 10 called "StartIsBack++" has a feature named "Do not pre-launch modern apps". 

I have never used homebrew Windows .iso images, i've always used official ones from Microsoft servers.

3 hours ago, dhjohns said:

Office 365 was not around when Windows 7 launched, and neither was Edge browser so of course I was not notified, LOL.

Of course not, but Windows 7 didn't nag about "Games For Windows Live!" for example or any other services that were available at that time. While Windows 10 does nag about all the new cloud services, it even "recommends you" to replace Google Chrome with Edge browser if you go to the "Settings" app to choose default apps.

1 hour ago, PsychedelicShaman said:

Well, then you have completely different experience than me and everyone else i know in the IT field, because it is known fact among us that Win10's UWP apps keep running in the background by default unless you disable that in the "Settings" app, it's so much of a problem that even the third party Start Menu replacement for Windows 10 called "StartIsBack++" has a feature named "Do not pre-launch modern apps". 

Simply NOT true.  No UWP apps run unless you tell them to run except for frequently used ones as it has listed in StartIsBack++.  It would not say FREQUENTLY USED if all UWP apps always ran, which they do not.

screenshot_1.png

Here are the apps listed in Settings which I can configure for starting with Windows.  Obviously, if ALL apps were starting with Windows they would all be listed.  Since I have not removed a single app, and they are not listed, then they are NOT starting with Windows!

screenshot_2.png

Also, here is a list of ALL my running tasks.  Since I haven't removed any why are all the other apps not there?

Image Name                     PID Session Name        Session#    Mem Usage
========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
System Idle Process              0 Services                   0          8 K
System                           4 Services                   0      2,532 K
Secure System                   56 Services                   0     22,680 K
Registry                       104 Services                   0     19,464 K
smss.exe                       392 Services                   0      1,024 K
csrss.exe                      616 Services                   0      4,544 K
wininit.exe                    720 Services                   0      5,764 K
csrss.exe                      728 Console                    1      4,908 K
services.exe                   792 Services                   0      7,896 K
LsaIso.exe                     812 Services                   0      2,740 K
lsass.exe                      820 Services                   0     19,720 K
winlogon.exe                   972 Console                    1     11,624 K
svchost.exe                    980 Services                   0      3,456 K
svchost.exe                   1016 Services                   0     26,672 K
fontdrvhost.exe                332 Services                   0      4,548 K
WUDFHost.exe                   548 Services                   0     37,040 K
fontdrvhost.exe                612 Console                    1      9,460 K
svchost.exe                   1172 Services                   0     13,112 K
svchost.exe                   1216 Services                   0      7,836 K
dwm.exe                       1308 Console                    1     64,636 K
svchost.exe                   1428 Services                   0      9,336 K
svchost.exe                   1440 Services                   0     11,908 K
svchost.exe                   1484 Services                   0      5,540 K
svchost.exe                   1628 Services                   0     14,064 K
svchost.exe                   1636 Services                   0      6,400 K
svchost.exe                   1660 Services                   0     14,516 K
svchost.exe                   1700 Services                   0     11,052 K
svchost.exe                   1844 Services                   0      6,932 K
svchost.exe                   1852 Services                   0     10,104 K
svchost.exe                   1976 Services                   0      9,620 K
WUDFHost.exe                  2032 Services                   0      7,556 K
svchost.exe                   2040 Services                   0      7,756 K
atiesrxx.exe                  1240 Services                   0      4,916 K
atieclxx.exe                  2100 Console                    1      7,708 K
svchost.exe                   2156 Services                   0      7,608 K
svchost.exe                   2164 Services                   0      5,984 K
svchost.exe                   2172 Services                   0     12,588 K
svchost.exe                   2272 Services                   0     11,124 K
svchost.exe                   2396 Services                   0      7,248 K
svchost.exe                   2428 Services                   0     17,528 K
Memory Compression            2440 Services                   0    146,028 K
svchost.exe                   2468 Services                   0     14,632 K
svchost.exe                   2548 Services                   0      7,544 K
svchost.exe                   2556 Services                   0      8,380 K
svchost.exe                   2564 Services                   0      7,788 K
svchost.exe                   2796 Services                   0     13,452 K
svchost.exe                   2848 Services                   0     14,336 K
svchost.exe                   2952 Services                   0      6,348 K
svchost.exe                   2960 Services                   0      8,500 K
svchost.exe                   2968 Services                   0      7,732 K
svchost.exe                   3064 Services                   0     11,680 K
svchost.exe                   2604 Services                   0      7,740 K
spoolsv.exe                   3180 Services                   0     11,652 K
svchost.exe                   3320 Services                   0     19,488 K
svchost.exe                   3360 Services                   0      8,168 K
sihost.exe                    3512 Console                    1     28,168 K
svchost.exe                   3540 Console                    1     22,560 K
svchost.exe                   3684 Services                   0      6,696 K
svchost.exe                   3692 Console                    1     37,020 K
svchost.exe                   3700 Services                   0     14,112 K
svchost.exe                   3716 Services                   0     31,764 K
svchost.exe                   3724 Services                   0     29,656 K
OfficeClickToRun.exe          3736 Services                   0     28,236 K
svchost.exe                   3756 Services                   0      9,176 K
svchost.exe                   3776 Services                   0     10,836 K
svchost.exe                   3800 Services                   0     15,540 K
svchost.exe                   3880 Services                   0      5,720 K
unchecky_svc.exe              3920 Services                   0      6,684 K
svchost.exe                   3928 Services                   0      8,688 K
vmms.exe                      3948 Services                   0     17,780 K
svchost.exe                   3960 Services                   0     21,220 K
svchost.exe                   4092 Services                   0     10,744 K
taskhostw.exe                 4144 Console                    1     14,576 K
svchost.exe                   4180 Services                   0      5,608 K
svchost.exe                   4592 Services                   0      7,600 K
explorer.exe                  4672 Console                    1    109,392 K
unchecky_bg.exe               4720 Console                    1      9,916 K
ctfmon.exe                    4752 Console                    1     15,916 K
svchost.exe                   4796 Services                   0     16,972 K
svchost.exe                   4880 Services                   0      6,840 K
svchost.exe                   5076 Services                   0      5,700 K
svchost.exe                   4060 Services                   0     14,952 K
dllhost.exe                   5476 Console                    1     13,964 K
svchost.exe                   5552 Services                   0      7,652 K
svchost.exe                   5604 Console                    1     29,232 K
vmcompute.exe                 5656 Services                   0      6,096 K
svchost.exe                   5788 Services                   0      8,620 K
ShellExperienceHost.exe       5384 Console                    1     80,584 K
SearchUI.exe                  6280 Console                    1    144,872 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             6436 Console                    1     23,952 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             6476 Console                    1     25,248 K
SpeechRuntime.exe             6568 Console                    1     23,728 K
SearchIndexer.exe             6976 Services                   0     25,868 K
SkypeHelper.exe               5216 Console                    1      3,172 K
RemindersServer.exe           2768 Console                    1     21,452 K
SettingSyncHost.exe           5328 Console                    1     11,500 K
accuweather.exe               7432 Console                    1      3,056 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             7600 Console                    1     14,964 K
GoogleCrashHandler.exe        8084 Services                   0      1,444 K
ApplicationFrameHost.exe      8092 Console                    1     33,212 K
GoogleCrashHandler64.exe      1436 Services                   0      1,172 K
TranslucentTB.exe             7816 Console                    1      7,448 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             7156 Console                    1     17,352 K
OneDrive.exe                  5188 Console                    1     52,940 K
FileHippo.AppManager.exe      7448 Console                    1     47,012 K
svchost.exe                   2760 Services                   0     11,900 K
Tweeten.exe                   4696 Console                    1     70,060 K
Tweeten.exe                   8308 Console                    1     58,548 K
postimage.exe                 8384 Console                    1     35,128 K
chrome.exe                    8492 Console                    1    185,428 K
Tweeten.exe                   8512 Console                    1     33,956 K
chrome.exe                    8588 Console                    1      8,236 K
chrome.exe                    8616 Console                    1      8,612 K
chrome.exe                    8752 Console                    1     74,728 K
chrome.exe                    8760 Console                    1     15,772 K
chrome.exe                    8912 Console                    1     25,016 K
chrome.exe                    8920 Console                    1    166,016 K
chrome.exe                    8952 Console                    1     93,808 K
chrome.exe                    8968 Console                    1     46,168 K
chrome.exe                    8976 Console                    1     24,904 K
chrome.exe                    8892 Console                    1     24,720 K
VCDDaemon.exe                 9464 Console                    1      8,040 K
svchost.exe                   9756 Services                   0      5,916 K
Skype4Life.exe               10032 Console                    1    136,508 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             6984 Console                    1     23,772 K
svchost.exe                   9340 Services                   0     13,340 K
dllhost.exe                   6768 Console                    1     10,524 K
Microsoft.Msn.Weather.exe     6348 Console                    1     65,128 K
svchost.exe                   7112 Services                   0      6,572 K
WinStore.App.exe              6684 Console                    1        100 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             6716 Console                    1      7,732 K
chrome.exe                    8112 Console                    1    260,112 K
chrome.exe                     624 Console                    1    306,272 K
chrome.exe                    3828 Console                    1    117,916 K
chrome.exe                   10244 Console                    1    136,748 K
chrome.exe                   10344 Console                    1     51,888 K
svchost.exe                   3820 Console                    1     20,228 K
svchost.exe                  10472 Services                   0     13,848 K
SgrmBroker.exe                8324 Services                   0      7,400 K
svchost.exe                   5172 Services                   0     12,696 K
svchost.exe                   9600 Services                   0     10,092 K
SecurityHealthService.exe    10328 Services                   0     11,520 K
svchost.exe                   2120 Services                   0     11,912 K
Microsoft.Photos.exe          8032 Console                    1     15,980 K
RuntimeBroker.exe             7352 Console                    1      7,088 K
powershell.exe                9784 Console                    1     51,388 K
conhost.exe                   2860 Console                    1     10,260 K
svchost.exe                  11076 Services                   0      8,180 K
chrome.exe                    5952 Console                    1    432,612 K
TrustedInstaller.exe          7640 Services                   0      7,600 K
TiWorker.exe                  6632 Services                   0     26,428 K
SystemSettingsAdminFlows.     5492 Console                    1     11,800 K
SystemSettings.exe            1004 Console                    1      8,200 K
audiodg.exe                   5156 Services                   0     15,476 K
svchost.exe                   9788 Services                   0      9,088 K
explorer.exe                  6596 Console                    1     63,984 K
svchost.exe                   9448 Services                   0      7,752 K
smartscreen.exe               4648 Console                    1     23,976 K
WinRAR.exe                    7244 Console                    1     15,440 K
svchost.exe                   6452 Services                   0     12,256 K
chrome.exe                    1524 Console                    1    106,640 K
cmd.exe                       8036 Console                    1      3,712 K
conhost.exe                   5380 Console                    1     17,476 K
tasklist.exe                  5700 Console                    1      8,008 K
WmiPrvSE.exe                  5376 Services                   0      9,196 K

tasklist.txt

PsychedelicShaman

Well, maybe you're right and they changed that in 1803 and other recent builds, because the last "normal" Current Branch edition of Windows 10 that i used was 1607 build and earlier ones, after that i switched straight into Enterprise LTSB, but i remember that there was this after clean installation of 1607 Home/Pro:

backgroundapps-setting.png

There were lots of apps enabled by default and running in the background.

6 hours ago, dhjohns said:

UWP apps are not heavy

If they are not then how come that it takes ~3 seconds to open the default W10 Start Menu after mouse click, while the StartIsBack++ (which uses Win32 binaries of W7 Start Menu) opens instantly? The same when you click on the clock in the right down corner to open the Calendar UWP applet; takes about ~3 seconds to open, while the Win32 Calendar in Windows 7 opened in just few miliseconds after clicking. It's a shame that the "UseWin32TrayClockExperience" registry tweak doesn't work on 1607. ?

3 minutes ago, PsychedelicShaman said:

If they are not then how come that it takes ~3 seconds to open the default W10 Start Menu after mouse click, while the StartIsBack++ (which uses Win32 binaries of W7 Start Menu) opens instantly? The same when you click on the clock in the right down corner to open the Calendar UWP applet; takes about ~3 seconds to open, while the Win32 Calendar in Windows 7 opened in just few miliseconds after clicking. It's a shame that the "UseWin32TrayClockExperience" registry tweak doesn't work on 1607. ?

Yea, could be.  I am on RS5 now since that is out to IP.  My clock does take ~1 sec to open, but that is ok.  I like it.  My Start Menu is "practically instantaneous."  I am using SiB++ 2.6.4 for the taskbar skin, but I much prefer the Windows 10 Start Menu, so I use that.

PsychedelicShaman
11 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Yea, could be.  I am on RS5 now since that is out to IP.  My clock does take ~1 sec to open, but that is ok.  I like it.  My Start Menu is "practically instantaneous."  I am using SiB++ 2.6.4 for the taskbar skin, but I much prefer the Windows 10 Start Menu, so I use that.

Yeah, well, for some reason UWP apps take a lot of time to launch, especially on older hardware such as my Sandy Bridge i7-2600k CPU & i don't even have an SSD. I will build new desktop PC in 2019, so maybe Windows 10 will perform better on modern hardware. To be honest i also dislike UWP for aesthetic reasons; they look way too "smartphonish" for my taste, im "oldschool" type of person and i strongly dislike that modern look (i loved the Aero Glass in Windows 7 though).

I am using an AMD FX 4300 Quadcore with 8 GB RAM, and an SSD and it is superfast!

Archived