Is it true that Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7?

steven36

https://s7d6.turboimg.net/sp/81b627fee8fc443d8470adb110a9749c/windows.jpg

Q: Is it true that Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7?

A: Microsoft has made a concerted effort to get users to upgrade to Windows 10 since it was released in 2015 and touting security and performance have been their primary tactics.

Despite their best efforts, Windows 7 continues to be a very popular operating system, especially with businesses, but that will have to change in the near future.

Mainstream support for Windows 7 actually expired in early 2015 with extended support slated to end in January of 2020.

The primary difference in these support levels is that when mainstream support ends, performance improvements, new features and free support also end.  Extended support means that Microsoft will only provide bug fixes and security updates.

Essentially, anyone running Windows 7 should be planning to transition to another supported OS over the next year and a half.

Security comparison

Microsoft has attempted to use scare tactics in the past to convince users to upgrade, but they have been called out on some of their claims by many in the tech community.

However, a third-party security company recently published data on their users supporting Microsoft’s claims that Windows 10 is more secure.

Webroot reported that only 15% of the total known malware files in 2017 were found on Windows 10 systems while 63 percent of the known malicious files were found on Windows 7 systems.

There are a number of reasons for this pronounced imbalance, but a major difference is that Windows 10 forces automatic updates while Windows 7 allows users to fully control when updates are installed.

There’s no doubt that Microsoft attempted to ‘harden’ Windows 10 against many of the known exploit strategies used by malicious code writers, which is also a likely contributor.

A great example of this was seen during the WannaCry ransomware attacks last year as the vast majority of victims were running Windows 7 and Windows 10 users were completely unaffected.

Since Windows 7 was originally released in 2009, hackers have had a longer time to discover exploits and create clever tactics to compromise users.

Knowing of these tactics, Microsoft created Windows 10 with completely new code, making many of the Windows 7 specific exploits harmless to it’s users.

Performance improvements

Windows 10 was designed to startup faster and recognize substantially more RAM, so you may notice a slight increase in performance over Windows 7 on the same hardware.

We’ve seen Windows 10 work very well on lots of older computers as well, especially if you add a little extra RAM while upgrading.  If you really want to bump up the performance on an older computer, swap out the old hard drive for a new Solid State Drive (SSD) because your hard drive is always the biggest bottleneck to overall performance.

More like Windows 7

One of the biggest complaints from those upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is the overall look and feel.

While you can never get Windows 10 to look and feel exactly like Windows 7, there are lots of little tweaks that can help minimize the differences so that it’s little more comfortable during your transition.

Source

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL  i got windows 8.1 almost like Windows 7 and updates tell 2023  but the catch 22 if you dont own a few computers or have bought keys  that came with windows 8 or 8.1 .Microsoft no longer sells them maybe you could buy one on Ebay  and you could always pirate a copy  for no cost.  Fact is i used windows 10 off and  on  and tell Red Stone 4 came out and every time I got it like i wanted it and upgrade would come out and break shit  after a few years i got tired of  wasting my time tweaking it. I got to the point I was staying in Linux more than windows because i was not happy using RS3 .... So i had a choice  to ether use Windows 8.1 legally tell 2023 or pirate Windows 10 LTSB  and i never pirate windows, because windows came with the price of  my PC  and  before I'm forced to pirate something i paid for Id just use Linux all the time, it really dont matter to me. :smoke:

Ive not had no so called security problems since i stop using XP x86 and way back in 2008 it was something silly i done i downloaded a  software release  from a torrent something i rarely  ever done  0days malware suck ... :w00t:

This article belongs in the joke section.  Never read so much twisted facts and half truths.  I have a handful of retail license packages that my organization bought for me for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, Professional editions for times when I did not want to use the Enterprise and Professional editions provided by our IT group because of the edits done to them.  I don't buy commercial desktops, I build my own, so I can put any OS I want on them legally.  None of them are running Windows 10, though I do have copies of Windows 10 running in VMs and I did test the digital license hack for 10 on the systems by replacing the SSD temporarily.  But that did give the honest truth since any system hooked up to our private VPN automatically activates any Microsoft software, I did not know that.  That is why I got all the Windows 10 activations before I could run the tool.  

I don't install any updates on Windows 7 SP1.  That system, when group policy edits are applied, a good firewall installed, some minor hosts modifications are made is more secure than Windows 10 ever dreams of being.  I don't even run any AV software because it is impossible to infect the system.  I have tested it over and over against all the threats as they appear, intentionally trying to infect it without any luck so far.  If one ever does infect it then there is an easy fix to prevent that.  Unfortunately, Microsoft in all of its stupidity is removing the very group policy edits used to secure Windows 7 from Windows 10.  Thereby forcing you to rely on their decisions on what is best for your system.   

LInux is a viable alternative to Windows and for some things a much more usable OS.  I have been using linux for over 20 years and it has never let me down, though the learning curve using Slackware, which was command line based, was cause for much frustration.  I had a good mentor in our IT department who helped me over the rough spots.  GUI based versions of Linux were made to directly compete with Microsoft and to some extent Apple, which uses a Unix derivative called FreeBSD, which I use to get in the early 90s, as a base for OSX.

Israeli_Eagle

Pros:

• Needs less GPU or none, because Metro Style only needs simple squares mostly.
  • More designed for phones, tablets, laptops, small screens and other weak hardware.
  • Also needs less basic user's knowledge.
  • Simple minds love bigger numbers.

Cons:

• Fully logging and spying already as OS.
  • Still extreme buggy and every update is a huge risk.
  • With stronger software or big games are clearly slower because of DirectX 12.
  • Many privacy rules are gone and weaker for example BitLocker (no Elephant anymore).
  • Changes and updates often not asked at all...

Result: Enjoy your forced Win10! :coolwink:

Banks seem to think so.   Couple of my clients that access portals at Bank of America and Wells Fargo received notification last month that we had 2 months to get machines that come in through the secure portals and run the banks specialized software on Windows 10. Sometimes perception is reality I suppose.  In any case, I thank them for generating some work.

8 hours ago, straycat19 said:

This article belongs in the joke section.  Never read so much twisted facts and half truths.  I have a handful of retail license packages that my organization bought for me for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, Professional editions for times when I did not want to use the Enterprise and Professional editions provided by our IT group because of the edits done to them.  I don't buy commercial desktops, I build my own, so I can put any OS I want on them legally.  None of them are running Windows 10, though I do have copies of Windows 10 running in VMs and I did test the digital license hack for 10 on the systems by replacing the SSD temporarily.  But that did give the honest truth since any system hooked up to our private VPN automatically activates any Microsoft software, I did not know that.  That is why I got all the Windows 10 activations before I could run the tool.  

I don't install any updates on Windows 7 SP1.  That system, when group policy edits are applied, a good firewall installed, some minor hosts modifications are made is more secure than Windows 10 ever dreams of being.  I don't even run any AV software because it is impossible to infect the system.  I have tested it over and over against all the threats as they appear, intentionally trying to infect it without any luck so far.  If one ever does infect it then there is an easy fix to prevent that.  Unfortunately, Microsoft in all of its stupidity is removing the very group policy edits used to secure Windows 7 from Windows 10.  Thereby forcing you to rely on their decisions on what is best for your system.   

LInux is a viable alternative to Windows and for some things a much more usable OS.  I have been using linux for over 20 years and it has never let me down, though the learning curve using Slackware, which was command line based, was cause for much frustration.  I had a good mentor in our IT department who helped me over the rough spots.  GUI based versions of Linux were made to directly compete with Microsoft and to some extent Apple, which uses a Unix derivative called FreeBSD, which I use to get in the early 90s, as a base for OSX. 

Really it 'not a joke it's just reality  , Microsoft is in it for the money and it dont matter if you do updates are not . Microsoft rather you not do updates on versions of windows they don't sell anymore you're just saving them money. If everyone thought like you they could make windows and offer 0 support  .

But once 2020 rolls around there are laws that force businesses to upgrade on internet connected devices because there audited . Most businesses cut corners any way they can and they would of stayed on XP if they could of, my moms work witch she works for the family that own most of the proprietary around here,  waited tell 2013 to upgrade to Windows 7  and there the most richest people in my county  but the insurance laws would not allow them to stay on XP.  Most businesses cant use Linux for banking  because no banks support it because it dont have a high market share. Were a home user can just use a user agent switcher and switch it to Windows and bank .Also the Government still requires you to use IE for some things in businesses.  Businesses have to use Windows ,Mac or Android to bank .

In the EU many have switched to mobile banking because its like 50% less likely you will be hacked using mobile and it's the new trend for the foreseeable future.  It will come a day were PC want be needed to do anything online much, but they will be needed for some things,  its old tech on the way out it will catch up in the USA sooner or latter.  Not doing security updates for Windows 7 is not going to prevent 3 party software vendors from dropping it like a hot potato as soon as the marketshare drops low in windows 7,  didn't you learn any thing from what happen with Windows XP??

You're OS is dying a slow creeping  death that's the way proprietary software works. As home users we have a choice to use and open source os to replace windows but in business at work we dont always have a choice and have to use proprietary software  and that's what keeps big tech rich and in control  Most home users are brainwashed by the media  and even though they know all this invades there privacy and has crap security  they still make up excuses to keep using proprietary software. so big tech own them too.  It's insanity if you really look at it and all about keeping the rich , rich. They are the smart ones that know how to work the system and  the end users are the joke.

well, with KASLR, SMEP/SMAP, NonPagedPoolNX and other protection mechanisms, it sure is more secure than Windows 7, though hackers have been finding ways to circumvent every protection mechanism M$ or any other OS puts in.

Windows 7 is a joke in security with all these missing features, really easy to get the exploit going for Memory corruption bugs

On 6/24/2018 at 2:16 AM, steven36 said:

So i had a choice  to ether use Windows 8.1 legally tell 2023 or pirate Windows 10 LTSB  and i never pirate windows, because windows came with the price of  my PC  and  before I'm forced to pirate something i paid for Id just use Linux all the time, it really dont matter to me. :smoke:

Ive not had no so called security problems since i stop using XP x86 and way back in 2008 it was something silly i done i downloaded a  software release  from a torrent something i rarely  ever done  0days malware suck ... :w00t:

On 6/24/2018 at 4:46 AM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Dear bros, I read your comments ... I really love Windows 8.1 (Enterprise), but the ONLY reason I use Windows 10 is because of my GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) :( 

I think that my games will run slowly in Windows 8.1 :( [I have Intel Core i7-3770K @4.0GHz ; 16GB RAM DDR3 ; Sound Blaster Z and SSD&HDD Drives]

Israeli_Eagle
28 minutes ago, Archanus said:

Dear bros, I read your comments ... I really love Windows 8.1 (Enterprise), but the ONLY reason I use Windows 10 is because of my GPU Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (MSI) :( 

I think that my games will run slowly in Windows 8.1 :( [I have Intel Core i7-3770K @4.0GHz ; 16GB RAM DDR3 ; Sound Blaster Z and SSD&HDD Drives]

Win10 & DX12 are slower, that's fact and tested hundred times already. So I guess your system has some bad settings or wrong drivers.

On 6/25/2018 at 12:24 PM, Israeli_Eagle said:

Win10 & DX12 are slower, that's fact and tested hundred times already. So I guess your system has some bad settings or wrong drivers.

Oh no no bro :( My System (with Windows 10) is so fast, but I think in Windows 8.1 would be slow. But you are telling me that It will be faster :D 

On 6/24/2018 at 5:46 AM, Israeli_Eagle said:

LOL, MS did not force Windows 10 on anyone, and they even offered it for free.  My wife uses Windows 7 still because of XP internet games ported to it.  I haven't been able to port XP internet games or Windows 7 Internet games to Windows 10 as of yet.  Anyway...

If anyone even bothered to read the installation notification instead of randomly clicking through without reading, Windows 10 will not install.  It just does not install on its own.  It requires human intervention, and my wife, after telling MS one time she did not want Windows 10 was NEVER asked again.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:31 PM, lordnsane said:

well, with KASLR, SMEP/SMAP, NonPagedPoolNX and other protection mechanisms, it sure is more secure than Windows 7, though hackers have been finding ways to circumvent every protection mechanism M$ or any other OS puts in.

Windows 7 is a joke in security with all these missing features, really easy to get the exploit going for Memory corruption bugs

Depends on whether EMET is used or not. Windows 7 with EMET is more secure than Win10 without it...

Report  Windows 10 is less secure than Windows 7 with EMET   MSPoweruser.png

13 hours ago, plb4333 said:

Depends on whether EMET is used or not. Windows 7 with EMET is more secure than Win10 without it...

Report  Windows 10 is less secure than Windows 7 with EMET   MSPoweruser.png

Most of the users are on default setup without EMET, and EMET Win10 is still more secure.

BTW, EMET is already at EOL, and would be discontinued at the end of this month (Jul 31, 2018). The successors to EMET are the ProcessMitigations Module—aka Process Mitigation Management Tool—and the Windows Defender Exploit Guard, only available on Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016.

1 hour ago, lordnsane said:

Most of the users are on default setup without EMET, and EMET Win10 is still more secure.

LOL you give up you're privacy for a little bit of extra security  there are other apps out there you can use for and anti exploit besides EMET  . Always any test ran by Microsoft is biased tested with only Microsoft products 

They take factors like you are using IE or Edge in there test witch nobody does and in other non Microsoft  test  shows Microsoft Windows defender has lots of false positives and makes  apps run slow witch even Microsoft admits too but there all about enterprise and say it want matter that much because enterprise dont install a lot of software. In the real world fanboyism dont matter because the non techies dont even read the PC centric news.

People used XP  for years after it ran out of updates with no trouble  no EMET , UAC  or anything by Microsoft because for many years they didn't care about you're security and you used 3rd party programs  instead same with Windows 7 it didn't come with Microsoft security software only way Windows gets this if you install it  . Any OS Microsoft make is a joke  security wise and no OS is  hacker proof. They always testing against themselves because if they tested against other OS even without security software they look like a joke.

37 minutes ago, steven36 said:

LOL you give up you're privacy for a little bit of extra security  there are other apps out there you can use for and anti exploit besides EMET  . Always any test ran by Microsoft is biased tested with only Microsoft products 

They take factors like you are using IE or Edge in there test witch nobody does and in other non Microsoft  test  shows Microsoft Windows defender has lots of false positives and makes  apps run slow witch even Microsoft admits too but there all about enterprise and say it want matter that much because enterprise dont install a lot of software. In the real world fanboyism dont matter because the non techies dont even read the PC centric news.

People used XP  for years after it ran out of updates with no trouble  no EMET , UAC  or anything by Microsoft because for many years they didn't care about you're security and you used 3rd party programs  instead same with Windows 7 it didn't come with Microsoft security software only way Windows gets this if you install it  . Any OS Microsoft make is a joke  security wise and no OS is  hacker proof. They always testing against themselves because if they tested against other OS even without security software they look like a joke.

As you said bro, Windows 10 is fully of bloatware that claims to be "more secure" :S but If you configure very well your Windows 7/8.1 it works very nice and also are secure too !

57 minutes ago, Archanus said:

As you said bro, Windows 10 is fully of bloatware that claims to be "more secure" :S but If you configure very well your Windows 7/8.1 it works very nice and also are secure too !

Still its testing Microsoft against Microsoft and they dont have a very good track record . Microsoft  has  2044 (9+) vulnerabilities  they even have more  (9+) vulnerabilities than Adobe witch is very bad .Back in 2013  Microsoft  put out this fud that Windows 8.1 was more secure than Gnu Linux  a study done by Trustwave  a Microsoft partner that  had  a rather untrustworthy reputation. :P

Trustwave sold root certificate for surveillance

https://www.zdnet.com/article/trustwave-sold-root-certificate-for-surveillance/

This the kind of crap you have put up with with Microsoft them putting out fake PR news and partnering with companies that do  man in the middle attacks to sell you're data.

I been ruining Ubuntu since 2015 with no security software other than my script blockers and ad blockers in my browser with no problem  they only had like 19  (9+) vulnerabilities ever. :)

25 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Still its testing Microsoft against Microsoft and they dont have a very good track record . Microsoft  has  2044 (9+) vulnerabilities  they even have more  (9+) vulnerabilities than Adobe witch is very bad .Back in 2013  Microsoft  put out this fud that Windows 8.1 was more secure than Gnu Linux  a study done by Trustwave  a Microsoft partner that  had  a rather untrustworthy reputation. :P

Trustwave sold root certificate for surveillance

https://www.zdnet.com/article/trustwave-sold-root-certificate-for-surveillance/

This the kind of crap you have put up with with Microsoft them putting out fake PR news and partnering with companies that do  man in the middle attacks to sell you're data.

I been ruining Ubuntu since 2015 with no security software other than my script blockers and ad blockers in my browser with no problem  they only had like 6 (9+) vulnerabilities ever and the last one was like 2011 before i  even used it.  :)

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-51/Ubuntu.html

I want to move on to Ubuntu in few years, but sincerely, It's so difficult to work with it :(

And yes, I will install very soon Windows 8.1 :( I'm so angry with the buggiest Windows ever: Windows 10 ... And yes, IT'S UGLY !! Windows Vista was more beautiful...

44 minutes ago, Archanus said:

I want to move on to Ubuntu in few years, but sincerely, It's so difficult to work with it :(

And yes, I will install very soon Windows 8.1 :( I'm so angry with the buggiest Windows ever: Windows 10 ... And yes, IT'S UGLY !! Windows Vista was more beautiful...

i use windows 8.1  i installed  a pirated  version of  Aero glass .  A 3rd party start menu  , NOD32  witch has built in anti exploit and Windows 10 Firewall Control , You need a little something on Windows for security too many coin miners out there its got worse than ransom ware .  if you ever see NOD32 call out this url 

http://updatecenter.net/

Its infected with coin miner malware  they be spreading  it through kodi  its and exe that can only infect windows .  I blocked that url in my  host along with lots of others

https://github.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/blob/master/hosts.txt

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

i use windows 8.1  i installed  a pirated  version of  Aero glass .  A 3rd party start menu  , NOD32  witch has built in anti exploit and Windows 10 Firewall Control , You need a little something on Windows for security too many coin miners out there its got worse than ransom ware .  if you ever see NOD32 call out this url 

http://updatecenter.net/

Its infected with coin miner malware  they be spreading  it through kodi  its and exe that can only infect windows .  I blocked that url in my  host along with lots of others

https://github.com/hoshsadiq/adblock-nocoin-list/blob/master/hosts.txt

Thanks a lot dear bro :) Yes, in the last months Coin Miners are become worse than virus :( Happily I have uBlock Origin + uBlock Origin Extra + No Coin

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/no-coin-block-miners-on-t/gojamcfopckidlocpkbelmpjcgmbgjcl

And yes, Windows 8.1 is beautiful :) I really like it :) Windows 10 only have few nice things: Notification Center, Paint 3D, TaskView, GPU view in Task Manager (Since 1709) but no more XD jajaja I really hate the W10 taskbar, the icons looks so small and ugly :( 

As a matter of fact, it is new, it does have features but isn't more secure because as features get added a lot of bugs and vulnerabilities are found also.

Another way is to use Windows 7 with Simplix update package and avoid any W10 headache.

22 hours ago, steven36 said:

20 hours ago, Archanus said:

Even I recommend people to ditch windows and install Linux, less hassle.

Though, gamers and corporates still doesn't have enough support from developers toward linux.

Using other apps (EMET or 3rd party) again increases the attack surface, and might become another point of exploit/0-day. Win10 is a bloatware and a privacy nightmare, but M$ are doing their best to wade out any previous windows versions.

Most of the windows userbase aren't tech savvy and won't even know/care about anything like EMET, and that's the majority of the users. So yeah, shady tactics by M$, but Win10 is more secure in general than Win7.

2 hours ago, lordnsane said:

Even I recommend people to ditch windows and install Linux, less hassle.

Though, gamers and corporates still doesn't have enough support from developers toward linux.

Using other apps (EMET or 3rd party) again increases the attack surface, and might become another point of exploit/0-day. Win10 is a bloatware and a privacy nightmare, but M$ are doing their best to wade out any previous windows versions.

Most of the windows userbase aren't tech savvy and won't even know/care about anything like EMET, and that's the majority of the users. So yeah, shady tactics by M$, but Win10 is more secure in general than Win7.

Lol  you say windows 10 is  more secure than Windows 7 this is not true in all cases it just depends on what security they use  ....  There are YouTube videos that show even noobs how to hack Windows 10  i noticed .  A non tech savvy person is going to get hacked regardless  of witch  version they use unless they have a tech savvy person taking care of windows for them ... And these people who use the Game excuse that they don't use Linux are the ones who use cracks and things for them and  many of them are being infected with bitcoin miners and things off p2p.  I learned back in 2008 don't be downloading software from p2p,  videos and music is mostly OK,  but not software. Linux gamers that have money to buy games knows how to get around these limitations .Also the scene releases cracked games everyday for Linux just like they do windows. So it's a lame excuse  really.

Microsoft  has been doing there so called best since Windows 98 when they invented Windows updates and here it is 2018 and still has more infections than any OS ..They use to use the excuse they have the most users  but this is not even so anymore because Android has more users than windows now and infections are only half as bad on that OS .

They are many people on Windows 7/8.1 /10 that just install some Antivirus software  and they never do updates and they been just fine for years and years, it just depends if the end user uses conman sense or not. most malware /ransomware now days is social engineering  and yes they could hack you using 3rd party security software but anything that  you allow internet can be hacked,  but  those kind of hacks are  done mostly  by state hackers and there after some kind of top secret info and they most likely have other hacks to exploit windows itself.This happens all the time mostly at a Government contactor level. The USA Govt steals info from other countries and the other countries steals info from the USA,   if some 3 letter agency is after you nothing is going to save you,  but  the normal person want have anything they want  . The majority of hackers try to trick people into making a dumb move to install there malware so they can  make money off you, They only safe windows is don't use windows at all.

I'm become real weary when people tell me to use something other than what i want too ..For all I know they could be telling me to use something because they know how too hack it.  They tell some idiot to use windows 10 and they go use some activation  crack with malware in it.  Are some hacker gets on linux and hacks the shit out of them because real hackers don't use windows to hack. Hacking is just like cracking software they find a weakness in something and they attack it  and windows 10 is bloatware and  uses the internet more any other windows and has a lot of somethings to be attacked.  Microsoft sends out windows updates to patch any known exploits in windows 7 tell 2020, just like they do Windows 10 and they may be trying to do there best, but there best is not good enough because most zero days are not even uploaded to public scanners for them to find them anymore. Even XBOX witch is protected by uwp i  know a person who have bypassed it's protection to make things work that shouldn't with a one little dirty hack and it's open source and he explained it.    :P

The only reason WannaCry didn't infect windows 10 was it was already patched in the ISO and Microsoft  just so happen to release a upgrade right before it happen,  It was still vulnerable during insider releases and  it still effected older versions of Windows 10   if they did not patch, so that is even overblown hype.   but there was never a single case of it effecting Windows XP . There was only fake news that it infected XP so Microsoft released a update for it based on this fake news. That right there proves if some really bad virus comes out, Microsoft will release a patch for it even if they dont support if a lot of users use it.  Only thing that may make Windows 10 safer is they force updates on it's users but still  they patch in older OS as well and as long as you done updates you have the latest patches just like windows 10 does you're pc may be full of spyware  and mess up because of a botched update but still you are protected the best Microsoft could do.. :lol:

On 7/3/2018 at 10:59 PM, steven36 said:

Lol  you say windows 10 is  more secure than Windows 7 this is not true in all cases it just depends on what security they use  ....  There are YouTube videos that show even noobs how to hack Windows 10  i noticed .  A non tech savvy person is going to get hacked regardless  of witch  version they use unless they have a tech savvy person taking care of windows for them ... And these people who use the Game excuse that they don't use Linux are the ones who use cracks and things for them and  many of them are being infected with bitcoin miners and things off p2p.  I learned back in 2008 don't be downloading software from p2p,  videos and music is mostly OK,  but not software. Linux gamers that have money to buy games knows how to get around these limitations .Also the scene releases cracked games everyday for Linux just like they do windows. So it's a lame excuse  really.

Microsoft  has been doing there so called best since Windows 98 when they invented Windows updates and here it is 2018 and still has more infections than any OS ..They use to use the excuse they have the most users  but this is not even so anymore because Android has more users than windows now and infections are only half as bad on that OS .

They are many people on Windows 7/8.1 /10 that just install some Antivirus software  and they never do updates and they been just fine for years and years, it just depends if the end user uses conman sense or not. most malware /ransomware now days is social engineering  and yes they could hack you using 3rd party security software but anything that  you allow internet can be hacked,  but  those kind of hacks are  done mostly  by state hackers and there after some kind of top secret info and they most likely have other hacks to exploit windows itself.This happens all the time mostly at a Government contactor level. The USA Govt steals info from other countries and the other countries steals info from the USA,   if some 3 letter agency is after you nothing is going to save you,  but  the normal person want have anything they want  . The majority of hackers try to trick people into making a dumb move to install there malware so they can  make money off you, They only safe windows is don't use windows at all.

I'm become real weary when people tell me to use something other than what i want too ..For all I know they could be telling me to use something because they know how too hack it.  They tell some idiot to use windows 10 and they go use some activation  crack with malware in it.  Are some hacker gets on linux and hacks the shit out of them because real hackers don't use windows to hack. Hacking is just like cracking software they find a weakness in something and they attack it  and windows 10 is bloatware and  uses the internet more any other windows and has a lot of somethings to be attacked.  Microsoft sends out windows updates to patch any known exploits in windows 7 tell 2020, just like they do Windows 10 and they may be trying to do there best, but there best is not good enough because most zero days are not even uploaded to public scanners for them to find them anymore. Even XBOX witch is protected by uwp i  know a person who have bypassed it's protection to make things work that shouldn't with a one little dirty hack and it's open source and he explained it.    :P

The only reason WannaCry didn't infect windows 10 was it was already patched in the ISO and Microsoft  just so happen to release a upgrade right before it happen,  It was still vulnerable during insider releases and  it still effected older versions of Windows 10   if they did not patch, so that is even overblown hype.   but there was never a single case of it effecting Windows XP . There was only fake news that it infected XP so Microsoft released a update for it based on this fake news. That right there proves if some really bad virus comes out, Microsoft will release a patch for it even if they dont support if a lot of users use it.  Only thing that may make Windows 10 safer is they force updates on it's users but still  they patch in older OS as well and as long as you done updates you have the latest patches just like windows 10 does you're pc may be full of spyware  and mess up because of a botched update but still you are protected the best Microsoft could do.. :lol:

You are right with this. Windows is never secure, and will never be. There's just too much of redundant and old code stuck in so many core system files since the beginning of windows, it's just a matter of time when it'll be reversed, found and exploited.

The heading of this post is:

Is it true that Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7?

And the answer to this is a resounding YES. It doesn't matter if kids are cracking windows 7/8.1/10, or the weakest point is the user of the system, the point is just if a user is using Windows 7 and Windows 10, and using both equally with similar setup, Windows 10 will always be more secure than Windows 7. Be it the memory protections offered by default, be it the availability of AMSI interface to stop those pesky powershell exploits, Windows 10 will always provide more protection than Windows 7.

Antiviruses, EMET, general awareness are addons to the default setup, and will vary from user to user, then that becomes a different question than the topic of this thread, that's more suited to "How to make your Windows more Secure", it won't be the security protections offered by Windows 10 vs Windows 7.

If you really want to test this, setup 3 VMs. One as a host VM (Win7/10) and other two as debugee VMs (Win 7 and Win10). Install Windbg on the host VM, attach them to the debugee VMs, and then, just try to exploit basic Stack/Pool overflow vulnerabilities by installing a malicious driver and coding the exploits on your own on both one by one. You'd soon realize how difficult and annoying you'd find Windows10 to even begin with.

If you just want a overview on how much more security actually Windows 10 provides over Windows 7, just go through a basic Pool Overflow comparison between the two:

http://trackwatch.com/kernel-pool-overflow-exploitation-in-real-world-windows-7/

http://trackwatch.com/kernel-pool-overflow-exploitation-in-real-world-windows-10/

And remember, these are just pool protections explained, there's a heck more going under the hood in Windows 10. And if you are actually interested in exploring this further, read this research paper by j00ru, the guy is a god with Windows exploitation, works with Google Project Zero, and put his past couple of years research into this:

https://j00ru.vexillium.org/papers/2018/bochspwn_reloaded.pdf

I didn't wanted to go too technical here, but you were just drifting too much from the topic. Even Windows XP could be made secure if you use the right tools and precautions, but what I wanted to highlight is that at the core, Windows 10 is actually much more secure than Windows 7, which was the question asked as the topic of this thread.

Maybe you were targetting from the point of view of how Windows 7 could be made equal or even more secure than Windows 10, and I am seeing the things from actually under the hood, that why M$ claims Win10 is more secure than Win7, and actually testing them.

Archived