Official FIFA World Cup 2018 Topic

vitorio

• Administrator

Some posts removed and topic re-opened.

What part of no politics in this topic do you guys do not understand here.

Anyway, predictions time. I'm going with England vs France final. But I would happily take Belgium vs Croatia final though.

• Replies 124
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2018 at 11:20 PM, DKT27 said:

Anyway, predictions time

Def. want the U-dogs in this time..Belgium deserves to be in finals & I hope Croatia manages to final too !! 

I thought I would start, as not seen a thread.

England lost and in my opinion contrary to my female partners to a better team on the night.

Southgate should have included Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere, this would have added natural pace and a brilliant creative midfield player and experience.

Raheem Stirling has one thing, he can run quick, he is like the England womens player Aluko she was fast but could not score goals.

England should have replaced Sterling with Danny Welbeck, Welbeck is as quick as stirling but he is taller and a bully.

Well done Croatia, you were the better team in all departments and good luck in final, however I believe the best team in the whole tournament France will win.

• Administrator

Best photos of this world cup.

I really wish to see Croatia win this, but France is a really powerful and deserving side I think.

When you factor in that they avoided Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Spain, France. and Germany who are all previous winners of the World Cup (and Holland and Italy who didn't qualify) they had the best chance they could have wished for to win it. But even with all that good fortune they could only beat Tunisia and Panama and a poor Swedish team in 90 minutes. They lost to Belgium (probably for a second time tomorrow!!!) and could only win on penalties against Colombia. They will never get an easier route to a final again and as a Scot I was delighted to see them "bringing home" only the team bus and their laundry.

It's important that I add that I have nothing at all against the English people or even the team (I lived in Manchester as a kid and I have relatives still living there) ....but the English media is a different animal, arrogant, superior and insufferable. Every opportunity they get they refer to Wembley 1966..even if the match on TV is between Iceland and Syria the commentator will find an excuse to mention 1966 viz:-"The Syrian team is wearing red strips reminiscent of England in 1966" or " That Iceland player reminds me a lot of Bobby Charlton at Wembley in 1966". lol.

So that earth tremor that neighbouring countries felt was just 90% of Scotland's population jumping up and down when Croatia scored!!! ???

Croatia is team of world Cup form me 

very well thanks Croatia Brothers 

Congratulations to both the teams for that beautiful final game

and to France??, for lifting FIFA World Cup the second time

I am happy for this victory a second time for my country France. What a beautiful match. Congratulations to the winners

??

https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/7/15/c3ddbf6c-f904-475d-9e8e-e1682cc090d8.jpg

Winners: France ??

Runners-up: Croatia ??

Golden Ball: Luka Modric??

Golden Glove: Thibaut Courtois??

Best Young Player: Kylian Mbappe??

Golden Boot: Harry Kane ???????

France president Emmanuel Macron ?

VC6MQI7.jpg

The free kick that lead to the 1st goal for France. Greizmann cheated, he dived and in his dive he made contact with the opponent. For me, no foul, so unlikely that France would have taken the lead then!

Now, was it a penalty? My belief is No. But there is only one reason you can say yes.

Why No? I believe that the contact was completely accidental and it was an unfortunate hand ball. In jumping a player naturally uses his arms to help with the jump and then the arms lower as the player comes down, and the lowering of arms is not controlled, unlike when defenders on the ground these days put their arms at their side or behind their backs to avoid the possibility of hand ball. If you did this when trying to jump it makes it very much harder to jump or get some height. The French player directly in front of the Croatian defender jumped in exactly the same way as him! You could also argue that the player was lowering his arm seeing the ball at the last minute coming towards him and again made an unfortunate contact. If you see the incident at normal speed it looks even less of a hand ball.

Why Yes? If you believe that the defenders arm was in an unnatural position, then with the new interpretation for hand ball you must give it. In slow motion it does look more of an offence.

So it is entirely the referee's interpretation of how he sees it. However Mr. Pitana had the help (or not) of VAR. He had 4 colleagues watching and telling him in their opinion it was hand ball, otherwise why would they have made the review. If they thought it was not a hand ball they would have let it pass and not told him to have a look. So even if you as the referee have one view, which is contradicted by a number of your colleagues, you find yourself in a difficult position and this is where VAR is a problem. In this instance as it is a matter of interpretation of the action, and if your interpretation is different to the 4 others you start to question yourself, and maybe feel pressurised into giving the hand ball.

In general I am in favour of VAR, however, in this instance the referee on the field should only have been shown the replays in real time, not slow motion, to see how things happened. Generally the slow motion will help, especially with fouls, but I think in this instance the slow motion helped to make the wrong decision.

I might also say that overall I thought Mr. Pitana missed/made some strange decisions generally in the final. For example the excellent challenge by Giroud to block Lovren's clearance in the 1st half, and others where he allowed advantage and when there was no advantage he did not return to the original foul. I noticed a few of those, more that were not favourable to Croatia.

For me half time would have been 1-0 to Croatia, then who knows how the 2nd half might have played out!

On 7/15/2018 at 9:48 PM, p4psb said:

Congratulations France, and thank you the referee and VAR.

Football is sometimes very cruel game. Croatia take iniative and was pressing hard but France had luck and actors on their side. Former actor Pitana liked Griezmann's dive so much that gave free kick, the first goal attempt for France. Pogba was offside and he pushed Mario Mandzukevic which headed own goal. Pogba didn't reach ball but he was active from offside situation.

Okay, penalty from hand play, second free goal for France. Pitana took too big role. Perisic had no time react though VAR slow motion showed hand moving towards ball. There was no need to give penalty after new rules. 

Still, France is a BIG team! ???

The statistics tell the story:-

Statistics don't lie!!!!.jpg

Topics merged.

Note: some few posts splitted over the two last pages.

Sorry for the inconvenience but the system is doing it automatically according to timestamps.

• DKT27 unpinned this topic
  • Administrator

Kind of late in this.

Anyway, when I first saw France in the WC, I had predicted to everyone that they can win this. No one believed it. I was kind of sad that they did, but they deserved it. I do feel for Croatia and Modric, but they did everything they could.

Anyway, unpinned the topic.

Archived