[Solved] Computer Randomly Turns Off

Knightmare

Doubtful on the UPS.  More like PSU or MBoard and since Amazons sending a new one, you'll soon know.  Memory typically, but not always, blue screens.  Before you button it up this time after swapping the MBoard and making sure there are no metal standoffs touching the case, pick it up and shake it to make no lost screws are floating around.

• Replies 42
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

650 VA:  0.87166435823677 HP

1HP = 746w, 1 HP = 0.746KW

Doubt the PSU is the problem unless the battery is dead

• Administrator

Do keep us updated on this.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, straycat19 said:

Looks like everyone missed another probable culprit, the motherboard.  It could have bad components on it that when they get very warm they create a short and the system shuts down.  Sometimes these problems are difficult to trace.  Even a bad memory module could cause a system to shut off.  Swapping components is sometimes a last resort if you can't identify the problem any other way.  I would start with the PSU and go from there.  

The probable culprit could be a bad fat capacitor on the mobo &  bad RAM can be tested by HBCD DOS mode mem tests.

Knightmare

I'm going to install the motherboard on Monday or Tuesday. I also bought a new graphics card because mine is pretty old. I also have a psu tester that I bought and I still have my 750w psu.

On 6/6/2018 at 5:16 PM, Knightmare said:

I have a 650VA UPS

The important thing to remember about a UPS is that the larger it is the longer it will supply battery power to the system connected to it.  I currently have either 1300 or 1500 APC Back Ups connected to each one of my systems.  That far exceeds what they need but I found out that the less of a strain I put on them the longer the batteries last and they are expensive.  Your 650VA UPS produces around 390watts of battery power.  So whether it is big enough for your system depends on how many watts it requires.  There are many sites that will help you figure your wattage but the best source is in the documentation that comes with all the components.  If you aren't going to replace the battery and hope it works like a surge protector then you would be better off just buying a good surge protector.  A good UPS not only provides battery power when the power goes off but also when the power exceeds a set voltage.  If the battery is dead and it senses a power surge or drop then it could shut off your system when it tries to go on battery power and there isn't any.   I saw an office that used a cheap surge protector that went up in flames because the surge protector caught fire one night.  The fire investigation found out that it had tripped a couple times during storms in the preceeding month and should have been replaced.  Surge protectors aren't designed to take multiple surges of power, most are only good for one and then they need to be replaced because the circuit has been weakened.  

49 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

The important thing to remember about a UPS is that the larger it is the longer it will supply battery power to the system connected to it.  I currently have either 1300 or 1500 APC Back Ups connected to each one of my systems.  That far exceeds what they need but I found out that the less of a strain I put on them the longer the batteries last and they are expensive.  Your 650VA UPS produces around 390watts of battery power.  So whether it is big enough for your system depends on how many watts it requires.  There are many sites that will help you figure your wattage but the best source is in the documentation that comes with all the components.  If you aren't going to replace the battery and hope it works like a surge protector then you would be better off just buying a good surge protector.  A good UPS not only provides battery power when the power goes off but also when the power exceeds a set voltage.  If the battery is dead and it senses a power surge or drop then it could shut off your system when it tries to go on battery power and there isn't any.   I saw an office that used a cheap surge protector that went up in flames because the surge protector caught fire one night.  The fire investigation found out that it had tripped a couple times during storms in the preceeding month and should have been replaced.  Surge protectors aren't designed to take multiple surges of power, most are only good for one and then they need to be replaced because the circuit has been weakened.  

Yup, and if something like a printer is connected to the UPS, the UPS will trip.

On 6/11/2018 at 12:25 AM, Jime234 said:

Yup, and if something like a printer is connected to the UPS, the UPS will trip.

Why would you connect a printer to a UPS?  Only essential equipment is hooked to it.  Printers only get connected to a good surge protector.  If you are hooking your printer to your UPS you are asking for trouble.

15 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Why would you connect a printer to a UPS?  Only essential equipment is hooked to it.  Printers only get connected to a good surge protector.  If you are hooking your printer to your UPS you are asking for trouble.

Exactly Sir, I have seen people with printer connected to UPS and then complaining about sudden PC trips.

So I mentioned the point for the OP to rule it out. 

I had a problem like this, sudden shutdown .I switched it all off and removed / re-seated the Graphics card AND all the RAM modules - problem fixed .  

My issue is resolved! It would seem like there was a short in the ports--both usb and monitor. I received the new motherboard in the mail and now the issue is gone! I also suspected that my graphics card and ups were an issue, so I upgraded both. Now the computer seems to be running very stable, and I can plug and unplug usb/monitors without the computer switching off! Thanks to everyone for their advice! If you want, feel free to challenge my theory about the usb/monitor ports. I myself find it hard to believe that only a certain component on the motherboard was the issue; I always thought that if you had a bad motherboard, it either worked or it didn't--no in between.

Guess we can mark this as solved

• Crazycanuk locked and unlocked this topic
7 hours ago, Knightmare said:

My issue is resolved! It would seem like there was a short in the ports--both usb and monitor. I received the new motherboard in the mail and now the issue is gone! I also suspected that my graphics card and ups were an issue, so I upgraded both. Now the computer seems to be running very stable, and I can plug and unplug usb/monitors without the computer switching off! Thanks to everyone for their advice! If you want, feel free to challenge my theory about the usb/monitor ports. I myself find it hard to believe that only a certain component on the motherboard was the issue; I always thought that if you had a bad motherboard, it either worked or it didn't--no in between.

Oh, heck no (your all-or-nothing theory).  There's all sorts of flaky issues on MBoards from physical faults to ROM problems to intermediate heat problems to specific bad interactions with specific pieces of software under specific O/S's. 

Just when you think you've seen it all, you realize you'll never see it all.  There's just too many ways to fail.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:52 AM, davmil said:

Oh, heck no (your all-or-nothing theory).  There's all sorts of flaky issues on MBoards from physical faults to ROM problems to intermediate heat problems to specific bad interactions with specific pieces of software under specific O/S's. 

Just when you think you've seen it all, you realize you'll never see it all.  There's just too many ways to fail.

The reason I had that theory in the first place is because the guys at my work made fun of me because I told a customer they were having an issue with their motherboard. I think their problem was also with their usb ports, so the customer said something like, "So only half of my motherboard is broken?" Since I knew that the issue was with the motherboard and I just wanted to get them off the phone, I agreed with their statement lol. After I hung up, my coworkers came over and said, "So half motherboard is broken? Are you going to order half a motherboard to send to them?" That's the reason why I had the all-or-nothing theory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:25 AM, davmil said:

Doubtful on the UPS.  More like PSU or MBoard and since Amazons sending a new one, you'll soon know.  Memory typically, but not always, blue screens.  Before you button it up this time after swapping the MBoard and making sure there are no metal standoffs touching the case, pick it up and shake it to make no lost screws are floating around.

Bro I had a Forza UPS and it gets damaged in a year, So It could be UPS, but happily the problem has gone :) 

Archived