[Solved] Computer Randomly Turns Off

Knightmare

Knightmare

One problem after another. I just built a new computer. I had a few issues with the drivers but managed to get them fixed. When I was dealing with the driver issue, if I unplugged or plugged something into my computer while it was running, the computer would cut off completely--no BSOD or any warning whatsoever. Today I was playing a game. The game loaded fine, but as I was playing, my monitors went black and I realized that it had cut off completely, but I didn't unplug/plug in anything to the system. I booted the computer again and booted the game again. I opened CoreTemp to monitor the CPU temp, but the highest that it reached was 40 degrees. I continued to play the game fine, but I don't know why it cut off in the first place. I have my specs below:

Operating System
            Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 
        RAM
            16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-35)
        Motherboard
            Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. B350 TOMAHAWK (MS-7A34) (AM4) 
        Graphics
            2470W (1920x1080@60Hz)
            2050W (1600x900@60Hz)
            2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (EVGA)  
        Storage
            232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB ATA Device (SATA (SSD))  
            931GB Seagate ST1000DL002-9TT153 ATA Device (SATA )   
            1863GB Seagate ST2000DX002-2DV164 ATA Device (SATA )  
        Optical Drives
            No optical disk drives detected
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio

• Replies 42
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Knightmare
2 minutes ago, h3Ct0R said:

Your power supply unit could be at fault.

That would suck, since I just bought it lol.

I had this, I built a system then one month down the line my computer would reboot and an error message from the bios would appear stating the reason was to protect my system.

It happened a few days later again,  then again till it (P.S.U.) totally died. I replaced it and since then seems fine.

I suggest getting a refund fro the P.S.U. and buying a top quality one, like Cooler Master RS650-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 650W 80 Plus Power Supply Unit , once you register you get a free six (6) year warranty.

Here are the ones amazon.co.uk do https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=cool+master+power+supply+unit&rh=n%3A340831031%2Ck%3Acool+master+power+supply+unit

I am sure you can check your own country for them,  amazon do quality products with no hassle returns.

25 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

That would suck, since I just bought it lol.

could well be faulty from manufacture if you just bought it. happens.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me...

Have it RMAed. Maybe you should refrain from getting components from shady sources..

Did you recycle your old busted PSU from your old rig?

Windows 7 is not fully compatible with Ryzen CPUs at kernel level, so that can be one of the reasons too.

If I unplugged or plugged something into my computer while it was running,

What do you mean like hotswapping PCIE cards while the machine is on? That's like playing russian roulette with your MACHINE, esp when the component is not hot-swapable 

ALSO COULD BE A PSU that is underpowered for your current rig.

Did you try compute all TDP of all the components plugged on your PSU?

Bizarre™

What's your PSU total output? Aside from that, have you already computed your total power consumption? If not, you can try this site: PSU Calculator

You may also want to try checking your BIOS settings to see if there are some options you need to change.

2 hours ago, Bizarre™ said:

What's your PSU total output? Aside from that, have you already computed your total power consumption? If not, you can try this site: PSU Calculator

You may also want to try checking your BIOS settings to see if there are some options you need to change.

PSU wattage doesn't mean anything if the unit have low quality.

With that spec 500 watt should be enough if he don't overclock.

Bizarre™
59 minutes ago, trufpal said:

PSU wattage doesn't mean anything if the unit have low quality.

Anyone worth their salt knows that. I asked about the total output because the PSU brand wasn't mentioned. If it was, I would have advised to replace it with a much better one.

Knightmare
6 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Have it RMAed. Maybe you should refrain from getting components from shady sources..

Did you recycle your old busted PSU from your old rig?

I still have the old PSU

5 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

Windows 7 is not fully compatible with Ryzen CPUs at kernel level, so that can be one of the reasons too.

Yeah, I read that.

5 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

What do you mean like hotswapping PCIE cards while the machine is on? That's like playing russian roulette with your MACHINE, esp when the component is not hot-swapable 

ALSO COULD BE A PSU that is underpowered for your current rig.

Did you try compute all TDP of all the components plugged on your PSU?

I mean if I unplug the mouse or keyboard or monitor, the system goes off.

41 minutes ago, Bizarre™ said:

Anyone worth their salt knows that. I asked about the total output because the PSU brand wasn't mentioned. If it was, I would have advised to replace it with a much better one.

For the record. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just want to add point to your statement.

Oh, well....

13 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

I mean if I unplug the mouse or keyboard or monitor, the system goes off.

From my personal experience, PSU failure don't have this kind of symptom. This more like mobo related issue. Either from drivers or the mobo itself.

But of course I might be wrong. You need to test it furthermore.

usb mouse or usb  keyboard (plug and play)?  or

ps2 mouse or ps2  keyboard (not hot swappable)?

ALSO  CHECK grounding of your mobo...  A rougue metal standoff may short your mobo's circuity.

Knightmare
1 hour ago, teodz1984 said:

usb mouse or usb  keyboard (plug and play)?  or

ps2 mouse or ps2  keyboard (not hot swappable)?

ALSO  CHECK grounding of your mobo...  A rougue metal standoff may short your mobo's circuity.

How do I check the grounding of my motherboard?

Check that your PSU cable is fine and don't have issues with the power outlet.

Check internal connections from PSU. Be sure all is well connected.

Check memory. Memtest86+.

Check BIOS values (for memory speed/values). Sometimes default values don't work.

For your CPU+GPU, you need at least a 650W 80 BRONZE (not PLUS) certified PSU.

Good luck!

Windows 7 is a NO with Ryzen.

Try booting to the BIOS, then unplug KB or mouse. I suspect motherboard/power supply.

Bizarre™
16 hours ago, trufpal said:

For the record. I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just want to add point to your statement.

I was also not disagreeing with you. I just gave an explanation why I asked about PSU total output. I probably could have worded it differently.

@Knightmare:

With regard to PSU, what's the total output of your AVR? As a rule of thumb, it should be higher than your PSU.

straycat19

Looks like everyone missed another probable culprit, the motherboard.  It could have bad components on it that when they get very warm they create a short and the system shuts down.  Sometimes these problems are difficult to trace.  Even a bad memory module could cause a system to shut off.  Swapping components is sometimes a last resort if you can't identify the problem any other way.  I would start with the PSU and go from there.  

Knightmare
13 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Looks like everyone missed another probable culprit, the motherboard.  It could have bad components on it that when they get very warm they create a short and the system shuts down.  Sometimes these problems are difficult to trace.  Even a bad memory module could cause a system to shut off.  Swapping components is sometimes a last resort if you can't identify the problem any other way.  I would start with the PSU and go from there.  

Amazon is sending me a new motherboard. It should be here by tomorrow.

I also wanted to ask, do you think that my ups could be causing all of these issues with my computer? How can I know if my ups is strong enough to support my computer? I have a 650VA UPS, but in looking at the watts for the ups, I don't know if it's enough to support my computer. I kind of thought that a ups would just act like a surge protector if something goes wrong with it's battery, but I don't know for sure. Can someone confirm if my ups is strong enough?

• Crazycanuk locked and unlocked this topic

Archived