computer locks up over night, dont know why

wozzzzza

my computer runs all day no worries, i can leave it for a few hours and come back and still ok, but as soon as i leave it over night, i come to it in the morning and it is a blank screen and screen wont turn on again or if the screen does turn on again the computer in non-responsive, the mouse moves around but nothing works on the screen.

anyone know what is going on here or how to fix without reformatting??

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

what version of windows ?

can be 2 or 3 things  doing this

Do you have in your power options your computer to SLEEP after a certain time on inactivity? Longer than a few hours, like overnite?

I had similar problem long time ago. Look in BIOS for ACPI make sure it is set to S3 not S1 for proper sleep shutdown.

Maybe your problem? Good Luck!

If using Hibernate (S4- Suspend to Disk(Context saved to HDD)) then disable and try sleep (S3)

yeah forgot to day, windows 10.

all sleep and hibernate and disk off function are turned off, screen set to turn off after 10 minutes, but apart from that it should stay awake and not ever sleep.

straycat19

Sounds like a driver problem, specifically your display driver.  Update it to the latest version and see if that resolves your problem.  This seems to be a fairly common problem in Windows 10.

13 hours ago, wozzzzza said:

all sleep and hibernate and disk off function are turned off, screen set to turn off after 10 minutes, but apart from that it should stay awake and not ever sleep.

Welcome to the club.  If the screen saver kicks in when I have Window 10 running, my computer locks up as well.  Thankfully I had the wisdom of installing Windows 10 on a separate drive.  I am still using Windows 7 as my main OS.

i found an update for windows 10 a big one by the looks, will see how that goes tonight. i couldnt find a video driver update though. its onboard video.

straycat19
10 hours ago, wozzzzza said:

i found an update for windows 10 a big one by the looks, will see how that goes tonight. i couldnt find a video driver update though. its onboard video.

Intel releases drivers for their on chip video.  Usually you can get it thru windows updates.  You can open up device manager, go to your display adapter, right click on it and select update driver.  You will be given a choice to search on your machine or the internet, chose the internet.  If there is a newer driver it will find it and install it.

45 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

Intel releases drivers for their on chip video.  Usually you can get it thru windows updates.  You can open up device manager, go to your display adapter, right click on it and select update driver.  You will be given a choice to search on your machine or the internet, chose the internet.  If there is a newer driver it will find it and install it.

yeah did that, nothing found.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, wozzzzza said:

Bro, I recommend you to leave your computer turned off over night :) It's more healthy for you and you will save extra money in the month

• 2 weeks later...

The problem may be your PC is not recovering from a triggered sleep mode.

Could be a faulty hardware driver, could be a faulty setting

Could be windows failing to recover after a system update

you can use nirlaunchers tools: 

Using myeventviewer.exe [LOOK AT AT YOUR SYSTEM EVENT LOG

using bluescreenview.exe [Check your minidumps if there was a crash]

Could just be Windows 10 exacting revenge on you.. 

Reset your POWERCONFIG SETTINGS and reconfigure... 

powercfg –restoredefaultschemes  [in admin mode]

powercfg -A   [in admin mode] to display the system's supported sleep states.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/power/system-power-states

Check you BIOS settings  and change accordingly.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 3:07 PM, wozzzzza said:

You check your computer's power supply in CPU.

Israeli_Eagle
2 hours ago, duangkamol said:

You check your computer's power supply in CPU.

Excuse me... But.......

01-39.jpg  IN  lynnfieldfront.jpg ??? :think:

Israeli_Eagle
On 6/4/2018 at 12:20 AM, Rusty said:

Do you have in your power options your computer to SLEEP after a certain time on inactivity? Longer than a few hours, like overnite?

I had similar problem long time ago. Look in BIOS for ACPI make sure it is set to S3 not S1 for proper sleep shutdown.

Maybe your problem? Good Luck!

If using Hibernate (S4- Suspend to Disk(Context saved to HDD)) then disable and try sleep (S3)

Perfect, but S3 is ONLY recommended if DIMM RAM (not SODIMM), a real Power Supply (far of any plastic) and ErP Ready disabled too.

Israeli_Eagle
On 6/4/2018 at 12:07 AM, wozzzzza said:

my computer runs all day no worries, i can leave it for a few hours and come back and still ok, but as soon as i leave it over night, i come to it in the morning and it is a blank screen and screen wont turn on again or if the screen does turn on again the computer in non-responsive, the mouse moves around but nothing works on the screen.

After using years some monitors have a problem to reactive when come signals (sync) again and is often capacitor problem, but works again if you simply switch the monitor off and on again.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:31 PM, teodz1984 said:

@Israeli_Eagle..

Welcome Back Dude

:) Some  people still refer to the whole computer box as the CPU..   :) 

from my experience it is the people that know very little about computers that do this.

same i have found with people who don't know much refer to the HDD as memory. they come to me and want more memory, i have to ask sometimes do you mean storage space or computer memory. more often that not they say storage space, so i correct them and say so you want a bigger hard drive, not memory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 5:07 PM, wozzzzza said:

How long do you wait for the Computer to fully wake up, If the screen turns on, the mouse moves, it also takes time for the HDD to wake up. or HDDs to wake up. mouse moves means the video is OK,  at this time have you every used the RESTART button, I have one clients that all it takes is push the power button. then all things instantly come on and works.

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2018 at 6:07 AM, wozzzzza said:

Seems to be a similar issue that i am facing earlier, whenever i browse videos, after awhile the screen will go blank, and i will have to force restart it. 

Sent to the service center, and got it reformatted , issue still persist,.

Went back to the service center again, turns out it's the motherboard that is causing the issue.

After the motherboard has been replaced, the issue is gone.

Archived