Russia’s Tor Node Administrator Acquitted of Terrorism Charges

steven36

The administrator of an anonymous online network has been acquitted of terrorism charges one year after Russian authorities detained him for allegedly calling for riots on Moscow's Red Square.

Dmitry Bogatov, 26, was detained in April 2017 and charged with inciting terrorism in posts online. The math teacher denied writing the posts, adding that anyone could have used his IP address because he hosted a Tor node, which allows other Internet users to surf anonymously through his computer.

https://s7d5.turboimg.net/sp/799ed43e69b8477f462b548c1d223791/94b62b2c73cc4f8985ff82fc721a5ea6.jpg

Bogatov’s attorney Alexei Teptsov told the state-run TASS news agency Thursday that investigators had closed the case after concluding that Bogatov did not commit a crime.

Meanwhile, the criminal case into the posts is ongoing and “investigators will continue to identify the perpetrators,” Teptsov was quoted as saying.

The posts in question were published under an alias calling for “rags, bottles, gas, turpentine, styrofoam and acetone” to be brought to an unsanctioned protest, with a link to a music video in which protesters launch Molotov cocktails at police.

Bogatov’s defense team has said it would represent the math teacher if he chooses to press charges against the state.

Source

• Replies 12
  • Views 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
knowledge-Spammer

this man is crazy to think he can hide and do things like that in  russia y putin let him be math teacher  is real crazy   what is more crazy is  he think press charges against the state.  good luck for him in that  in russia cant protest and do things like that as u will be seen as Terrorism not 100% Terrorism but its  best keep away from  things like

18 minutes ago, knowledge said:

this man is crazy to think he can hide and do things like that in  russia y putin let him be math teacher  is real crazy   what is more crazy is  he think press charges against the state.  good luck for him in that  in russia cant protest and do things like that as u will be seen as Terrorism not 100% Terrorism but its  best keep away from  things like

I dont get you're point he was acquitted meaning he was presumed innocent by the state and let go . Do you believe you're guilty until you're proven innocent?

knowledge-Spammer
1 minute ago, steven36 said:

I dont get you're point he was acquitted meaning he was presumed innocent by the state and let go ? Do you believe you're guilty until you're proven innocent?

no i do not i think its best stay away from thing like this trust me  he lucky

But in the case of Dmitry Bogatov, Russian police found no reason to charge him. A public campaign had been launched to get him out of jail. Bogatov’s attorney, Alexei Teptsov, reportedly told the state-run TASS news agency earlier this month that after months in jail, Bogatov was acquitted. Investigators concluded that he hadn’t committed a crime.

According to the Russian site Meduza, Russia has a new suspect in the investigation, and Bogatov has gone from being a suspect to a witness.

Five days after dropping charges against Bogatov, a Moscow court ordered the arrest of a 33-year-old database administrator named Vladislav Kuleshov on identical charges: i.e., public incitement to terrorism and mass riots.

Bogatov has been named as a witness in the case against Kuleshov. According to Meduza, the math teacher also faces a misdemeanor charge for using the Tor browser.

Bogatov says it’s all nonsense, given that Russia’s ban on “internet circumvention technology,” which went into effect in November 2017, isn’t retroactive. Meduza reports that since the law took effect, there have been no reported cases of anyone being fined for using Tor or any other internet anonymizer.

1 minute ago, knowledge said:

no i do not i think its best stay away from thing like this trust me  he lucky

But in the case of Dmitry Bogatov, Russian police found no reason to charge him. A public campaign had been launched to get him out of jail. Bogatov’s attorney, Alexei Teptsov, reportedly told the state-run TASS news agency earlier this month that after months in jail, Bogatov was acquitted. Investigators concluded that he hadn’t committed a crime.

According to the Russian site Meduza, Russia has a new suspect in the investigation, and Bogatov has gone from being a suspect to a witness.

Five days after dropping charges against Bogatov, a Moscow court ordered the arrest of a 33-year-old database administrator named Vladislav Kuleshov on identical charges: i.e., public incitement to terrorism and mass riots.

Bogatov has been named as a witness in the case against Kuleshov. According to Meduza, the math teacher also faces a misdemeanor charge for using the Tor browser.

Bogatov says it’s all nonsense, given that Russia’s ban on “internet circumvention technology,” which went into effect in November 2017, isn’t retroactive. Meduza reports that since the law took effect, there have been no reported cases of anyone being fined for using Tor or any other internet anonymizer.

And he didn't say he was going to press charges against the state his lawyers said they would defend him if he wanted to . There interest most of the time is to make alot of money off  who ever they can  sue. The Russian Government are the one who  set him free. The news source is from Russia even.

knowledge-Spammer

his lawyers is not thinking smart  when u win let it go as if not  well  as u can see in russia  its not like people think we all hackers and bad  the law is law if seen breaking   can have big problems   plus the topic about protests never easy thing  but again he lucky man for sure

2 minutes ago, knowledge said:

his lawyers is not thinking smart  when u win let it go as if not  well  as u can see in russia  its not like people think we all hackers and bad  the law is law if seen breaking   can have big problems   plus the topic about protests never easy thing  but again he lucky man for sure

Who cares?  that's the way lawyers think , If people didn't win sometimes there would not even be no need for lawyers or courts in Russia They could just do a kangaroo court  done by the Government and  line you up and shot you like Hitler did. . It just depends on who you hacking for I guess  if you are hacking there systems they will come after you just like any other country would it's considered treason .

knowledge-Spammer

steven36  i see u as friend so i let be as is this topic is crazy as russia what can say more  about Hitler comments  what can say  ill stay out of comments like as u understand people will hate   the comments so maybe we end now befor  bad happen

1 hour ago, knowledge said:

steven36  i see u as friend so i let be as is this topic is crazy as russia what can say more  about Hitler comments  what can say  ill stay out of comments like as u understand people will hate   the comments so maybe we end now befor  bad happen

I  dont understand what you're saying ? i'm saying that's the reason they have a court systems around the world is so you can get there version of a fair trial . In some countries they would just most likely would of killed him without a fair trial.  but they let him go and  they let people go all the time because the court says they are innocent .

When the last time you read in the news the USA let someone go ? if they let someone go in the USA for being innocent they would have to be famous or sue the government to even make the News  .Court goes on  5 days a week except for on holidays and 95% of court cases never make the news. Always they want to tell about who got 5 or 10 years exept for  when the Government is sued for putting a innocent person in jail . A lot of cases i was following it never did come out in the news what happened to them I guess it was not a big enough story to follow up on.   :lol: I try not to post Anti Russian news ,the only reason I posted this was because the guy was using tor and the source was a Russian site and it was a internal problem   . I got better things to do and see who i can upset  and every day the USA , EU and Russia go at it in the news and i dont post none of it. It still dont solve the problem but at lest I'm not part of the problem and I dont get paid to post, i just do it because i like to learn and help others learn  . I try to keep a open mind  but i dont want my mind to be so open my brains fall out lol. :P:rolleyes:

knowledge-Spammer

i can tell u if protest in someplaces in russia u be locked up for about 11 or 15days  i have seen  i understand u not post to make problems   i liked your post and this topic as   is crazy thing   but its best less talk about killing and Hitler comments as it go from russia to Hitler so people maybe flag 

as hate comment   i see u mean no hate but comments must watch  i am open inbox if like understand more about this topic 

i think what happen if  for people like julian assange in us  much crazy things can happen

29 minutes ago, knowledge said:

i can tell u if protest in someplaces in russia u be locked up for about 11 or 15days  i have seen  i understand u not post to make problems   i liked your post and this topic as   is crazy thing   but its best less talk about killing and Hitler comments as it go from russia to Hitler so people maybe flag 

as hate comment   i see u mean no hate but comments must watch  i am open inbox if like understand more about this topic 

i think what happen if  for people like julian assange in us  much crazy things can happen

Not talking about him dont make what he done go away we should learn from what he done and not repeat  it. That's part of the problem now with the internet when haters who believe the same thing he believed speaks they want to shut them up. It just makes the problem worse . I am part German my great grandma was from there  and not talking about it want make it go away, i just used him as example of someone who had no respect for human life and did not give people a fair trial. I  like the Germans but i didn't like the things some of them done . Just like I don't hate the Raciest in my town, but I dont believe in  what they do. . My Grandpa taught me to not hate no one,  but to just hate there evil ways . Anybody can change .

knowledge-Spammer

is like in some movies i have seen  maybe u no of it maybe no

Anybody can change .

The reality of change:

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."  ~ Leo Tolstoy

Archived