- AMD Ryzen 5 Quad Core CPU

- 8 GB RAM

- 1 TB HDD

- Windows 10 Home

- 15.6 inch IPS Full HD Screen

- Metal build

- 1xUSB Type C, 2xUSB 3, 1xUSB 2

Negative points for 2nd laptop:

- RAM is not upgradable (that's what I read)

- No CD drive

- No dedicated GPU

Anyone having experience with Ryzen 5 Quad Core CPUs?

I'm rarely play games. But love to test different softwares.

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

I also think that #1 is better, but still far of any real GPU.

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-mobile-vs-Radeon-520

True. I stated the GPU only beacuse it's better than Ryzen 5's integrated gpu.

But acre laptop has metal build, ips display, USB type C and windows.

So I'm confused. Both laptop same price.

Israeli_Eagle
13 minutes ago, h3Ct0R said:

True, theoretically Ryzen GPU is stronger but based only on shared memory! So also very relative and the RAM is already less to use which you cannot upgrade as you said.

And metal case is also a huge plus, right.

Israeli_Eagle
1 minute ago, Kalju said:

The wisdom of the elders says that whatever you choose, the other is always better.

... and is already old technology when you leave the shop. :clap:

7 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

True, theoretically Ryzen GPU is stronger but based only on shared memory! So also very relative...

And metal case is also a huge plus, right.

I'm at 60-40 right now. Acer with 60%.

7 minutes ago, Kalju said:

The wisdom of the elders says that whatever you choose, the other is always better.

4 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

... and is already old technology when you leave the shop. :clap:

So true :D hahahaha 

To be perfectly honest, commercial laptops is the way to go, , they take a beating and are easy to upgrade. The stuff they sell at Best Buy and Staples are pure garbage.

straycat19

For personal use I only buy Dell Latitude laptops and only with the best i7 processor I can get.   If you get it through their outlet store you can buy a new, not refurbished one, occasionally and save a ton of money.

LeetPirate

Buying any laptop with an HDD is a mistake. Why bother chasing the best CPU, RAM, GPU if all of those will be handicapped by the slow HDD? Superfetch will force 100% HDD activity most of the time, the extra heat from the HDD will add to the overall system heat which will throttle the CPU and GPU. It will work just as fast as an Intel Atom laptop with an HDD. Save yourself the misery and get a laptop with at least 240GB SSD.

12 hours ago, virge said:

To be perfectly honest, commercial laptops is the way to go, , they take a beating and are easy to upgrade. The stuff they sell at Best Buy and Staples are pure garbage.

12 hours ago, straycat19 said:

For personal use I only buy Dell Latitude laptops and only with the best i7 processor I can get.   If you get it through their outlet store you can buy a new, not refurbished one, occasionally and save a ton of money.

My budget is the constraint here. I can only affor midrange laptops.

5 hours ago, LeetPirate said:

Buying any laptop with an HDD is a mistake. Why bother chasing the best CPU, RAM, GPU if all of those will be handicapped by the slow HDD? Superfetch will force 100% HDD activity most of the time, the extra heat from the HDD will add to the overall system heat which will throttle the CPU and GPU. It will work just as fast as an Intel Atom laptop with an HDD. Save yourself the misery and get a laptop with at least 240GB SSD.

Thanks for that piece of information. I'll try to up my budget a little bit and get a laptop has has a SSD.

straycat19
2 minutes ago, h3Ct0R said:

I'll try to up my budget a little bit and get a laptop has has a SSD.

Sometimes you can save money by buying a laptop with a HDD and then changing to an SSD yourself.  Particularly if you can't afford an SSD right now.  If you want a high end laptop with a midrange price then refurbished is the way to go.  I bought a refurbished Dell ATG semi rugged system that cost $2300 new for $700.  Never have had the first inkling of a problem with it and it came with a full three year warranty.  I spend a lot of money on computer parts/systems but even I don't have an unlimited amount of personal resources, so I save money where I can without losing anything in the process.  I prefer new but there comes a time when reality sets in, you establish priorities, and work around what you can get now and what you can add later, like an SSD or more memory.

3 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

Sometimes you can save money by buying a laptop with a HDD and then changing to an SSD yourself.  Particularly if you can't afford an SSD right now.  If you want a high end laptop with a midrange price then refurbished is the way to go.  I bought a refurbished Dell ATG semi rugged system that cost $2300 new for $700.  Never have had the first inkling of a problem with it and it came with a full three year warranty.  I spend a lot of money on computer parts/systems but even I don't have an unlimited amount of personal resources, so I save money where I can without losing anything in the process.  I prefer new but there comes a time when reality sets in, you establish priorities, and work around what you can get now and what you can add later, like an SSD or more memory.

You're right. I should look at the refurbished market as well.

Do you think adding 128GB SSD to the acer laptop would be good enough? I can use the SSD for windows and softwares. And HDD for media.

LeetPirate

I forgot to mention a shortcoming of my previous advice. Buying a laptop that comes with an SSD is tricky because the OEM does not say which brand or model SSD they used, they often use the cheapest SSD they could find and increase the price disproportionately. This puts you at risk of getting a crappy SSD or worse yet an SSD with TLC nand. I can advise on 2 workarounds that would not increase your budget too much.

1. Buy a SATA SSD and replace the HDD yourself. I can suggest looking at Crucial BX300 or SK Hynix SC300 series, both of those use MLC nand at reasonable prices.

2. Look for a laptop that also has an m.2 slot. The OEMs most likely won't list that there is an M.2 slot so you have to find out in a roundabout manner. Look for a laptop model that offers multiple configurations of SSD or HDD or both, then check some reviews and see if anyone has opened up the system to confirm the existence of an M.2 slot. Then you just buy the cheapest laptop which will be one with an HDD only and buy an after-market M.2 SSD drive. This way is more costly than the first way but it will allow you to boot from the SSD and keep your HDD if you need the additional storage.

I advise strongly against cheap TLC SSDs because the probability of losing data is high. I've lost data on a TLC drive after an airplane ride already, all the files were showing up and some worked but many of the files the data was corrupted and could not be opened. The Samsung 850 Evo made it through fine though despite also being TLC but I could assume that Samsung's design is probably superior and it's the only TLC drive I would trust with my data.

Some threads on the Acer forum suggests that the Swift 3 comes with an empty M.2 slot but I suggest you do research to confirm this is the case in your region.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, LeetPirate said:

I advise strongly against cheap TLC SSDs because the probability of losing data is high. I've lost data on a TLC drive after an airplane ride already, all the files were showing up and some worked but many of the files the data was corrupted and could not be opened. The Samsung 850 Evo made it through fine though despite also being TLC but I could assume that Samsung's design is probably superior and it's the only TLC drive I would trust with my data.

That's a new thing for me to hear. Did not think that such can even happen with them.

To tell you the truth, it depends on how much you are paying, how the computer will be used and where you are. Both are kinda trash, but #1 is better.

23 hours ago, LeetPirate said:

I forgot to mention a shortcoming of my previous advice. Buying a laptop that comes with an SSD is tricky because the OEM does not say which brand or model SSD they used, they often use the cheapest SSD they could find and increase the price disproportionately. This puts you at risk of getting a crappy SSD or worse yet an SSD with TLC nand. I can advise on 2 workarounds that would not increase your budget too much.

1. Buy a SATA SSD and replace the HDD yourself. I can suggest looking at Crucial BX300 or SK Hynix SC300 series, both of those use MLC nand at reasonable prices.

2. Look for a laptop that also has an m.2 slot. The OEMs most likely won't list that there is an M.2 slot so you have to find out in a roundabout manner. Look for a laptop model that offers multiple configurations of SSD or HDD or both, then check some reviews and see if anyone has opened up the system to confirm the existence of an M.2 slot. Then you just buy the cheapest laptop which will be one with an HDD only and buy an after-market M.2 SSD drive. This way is more costly than the first way but it will allow you to boot from the SSD and keep your HDD if you need the additional storage.

Some threads on the Acer forum suggests that the Swift 3 comes with an empty M.2 slot but I suggest you do research to confirm this is the case in your region.

That is a new information for me too. I read the Acer laptop has an unused m.2 ssd slot. So I will research a bit more on that later.

14 hours ago, J.C said:

To tell you the truth, it depends on how much you are paying, how the computer will be used and where you are. Both are kinda trash, but #1 is better.

I can only afford these. Why did you find them trash? Im not annoyed but curious. 

LeetPirate
16 hours ago, J.C said:

I disagree, I don't see how the HP has any edge over the Acer. The Acer has much better aesthetics, design quality, an IPS panel, and is probably lighter. Although most IPS panels have lightbleed issues but overall an IPS screen is still way better than any TN or SVA panel. CD drive isn't a real selling point anymore, the year isn't 1995. Given only those two choices, I'd go with the Acer.

15 hours ago, LeetPirate said:

I disagree, I don't see how the HP has any edge over the Acer. The Acer has much better aesthetics, design quality, an IPS panel, and is probably lighter. Although most IPS panels have lightbleed issues but overall an IPS screen is still way better than any TN or SVA panel. CD drive isn't a real selling point anymore, the year isn't 1995. Given only those two choices, I'd go with the Acer.

Didn't look for pictures of the laptops and didn't know #1 was not IPS. I couldn't care less about CD drive too. I just choose #1 because of i5, I had terrible experience with laptop AMD CPUs so I avoid them like the plage. Now, after looking at the picture, Acer seems to have a better build, but that AMD is still worrisome for me. If it was i5 and I only had those two options, I'd buy without thinking.

On 02/06/2018 at 7:36 AM, J.C said:

Didn't look for pictures of the laptops and didn't know #1 was not IPS. I couldn't care less about CD drive too. I just choose #1 because of i5, I had terrible experience with laptop AMD CPUs so I avoid them like the plage. Now, after looking at the picture, Acer seems to have a better build, but that AMD is still worrisome for me. If it was i5 and I only had those two options, I'd buy without thinking.

There is an i5 model of the same acer laptop. It is perfect for me with i5 8th gen cpu, 2GB graphics card, 128GB ssd. But it is 50% costlier than ryzen model. I can't afford that right now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30.05.2018 at 1:28 PM, ivana19 said:

The best laptop of all is dell xps 15

download.jpg

I agree!

I heard HP doesn't produce good laptops.

The choice of laptop depends on what you need it for.

You can try Asus vivo book X442UQ, it is a bit heavy though , but have decent specs and reasonable price . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 4:21 AM, h3Ct0R said:

Exactly bro :) You will be so glad with that powerful GPU

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't game, maybe you should pick #2.

Also how about the battery? i'd pick the less power hungry cpu and the more battery capacity :)

I always prefer metal build, since it might help with the heat dissipation.

Archived