Ordered a laptop

HandyPAF

So I finally saved up enough money to buy a computer from Amazon.com
It's an HP EliteBook 8570w 15.6” Workstation Laptop

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-3720Q (might overclock to 3.0GHz)
16 GB DDR3 SDRAM (seems like overkill IMHO)
256GB SSD (first time ever owning a computer with an SSD)
nVIDIA Quadro K1000M w/ 2GB dedicated memory
Windows 7 Professional (will upgrade to 10 right away)

Just thought I would share the good news. I am excited. It is factory refurbished so I am hoping it will work fine upon arrival.

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Israeli_Eagle

Looks very nice!!!

Tho I hope you not mind that some parts far of any 'overkill'. ;)

Worst I saw is the GPU (from 2012) and already GT220 was stronger, so not expect graphics wonders:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1425/quadro-k1000m
So for example any games since 2010 are impossible to play, simply too low of all minimums.

But for normal working totally ok!

I don't play any games anymore. Takes up too much time. I used to play World of Warcraft but I am sure this laptop won't be able to run it, not after the next expansion anyway.

Thank you for the input and support! It should be arriving between the 25th and 31st so only a week or so.

Israeli_Eagle

WoW will most probably work perfectly, because that was 15 years ago. ;)

Anyway, for what you need it's a great machine. Enjoy!!

straycat19
10 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

It is factory refurbished so I am hoping it will work fine upon arrival.

I have bought several HP factory refurbished laptops several years ago to use when I don't want to be carrying an expensive laptop into an area.  I have never had a problem with any of them, though I don't run windows 10 on them.  All of them still work.  Hope you have good luck with yours also.  They are nice machines for the money.

2 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

WoW will most probably work perfectly, because that was 15 years ago. ;)

I checked online at Can You RUN It and put in the specs of the laptop. WoW plays fine, but once the new expansion is released later this year, the minimum system requirements will be adjusted. Will require a better video card than the one in the laptop. Also, tho it doesn't matter in my case, the new expansion will not support 32-bit machines.

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

I have bought several HP factory refurbished laptops several years ago to use when I don't want to be carrying an expensive laptop into an area.  I have never had a problem with any of them, though I don't run windows 10 on them.  All of them still work.  Hope you have good luck with yours also.  They are nice machines for the money.

That is good to hear. I have never purchased a factory refurbished computer. Only an iPad mini years ago. I am expecting good things, it was purchased via Amazon.com so if I am not satisfied then I hope they will make things right.

13 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

Some folks (like me) are discovering that the age-old standard for RAM no longer holds good at 8 GB — IMO, 16 GB is not overkill and before I forget . . . . . congratulations! RlW5CMh.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 4:55 AM, HandyPAF said:

Nowadays 16GB is getting pretty mainstream. If you work with Power BI, Photoshop, Hyper-V, it's obligatory hahahaha.

7 hours ago, J.C said:

owadays 16GB is getting pretty mainstream. If you work with Power BI, Photoshop, Hyper-V, it's obligatory hahahaha.

I don't use any heavy programs. The most resource-intensive activity I perform on my computer is converting video files from one format to another, but even then it's just remuxing MKV to MP4 which takes less than 30 seconds per movie.

The laptop was originally supposed to be here on the 31st but I found out on that day that they provided me with an incorrect tracking number. Now that I have the correct tracking number, it says it will be here by the 5th. Assuming all goes well and it's not a waste of money, I will be able to occupy Nsane forums more than usual. Still trying to get my life on track so bear with me.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:07 AM, h3Ct0R said:

why do you convert your videos?

Some of the video files I download are in MKV format and I require them to be MP4 in order to play on different devices. I only own a phone and the soon-to-arrive laptop but I prefer the videos to be in a more compliant format. I use BOX4 (formerly known as rebox.NET) to remux them from MKV to MP4 which is much faster than a typical conversion.

congratulations for that purchase, I join your joy. Health and greetings! :lol:

The laptop has arrived!! I need to configure it before I will use it but it's HERE

The online listing says it comes with Windows 7 Pro but instead it was shipped with 10 Pro and I'm okay with that :)

It'll be a couple days or so before I have time to thoroughly setup and use the laptop, but all in due time. I look forward to seeing you all more! Cheers

sandman117

Good for you, Win 10 Pro is better than Home  for delaying updates and generally more configurable using Group Policy settings

Best wishes, I'm sure you'll enjoy it

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 1:59 PM, HandyPAF said:

The laptop has arrived!! I need to configure it before I will use it but it's HERE

The online listing says it comes with Windows 7 Pro but instead it was shipped with 10 Pro and I'm okay with that :)

It'll be a couple days or so before I have time to thoroughly setup and use the laptop, but all in due time. I look forward to seeing you all more! Cheers

Dear bro :) Enjoy your new laptop :D I hope you haved configured very well :) If Windows 10 is getting you angry jaja don't forget that Windows 8.1 is a ver nice alternative

7 hours ago, Archanus said:

Dear bro :) Enjoy your new laptop :D I hope you haved configured very well :) If Windows 10 is getting you angry jaja don't forget that Windows 8.1 is a ver nice alternative

Thank you! No problems with Windows 10 yet. I applied a dark theme so I can read everything easier, other than that it is working fine. I have it almost completely configured but I need to replace the disc drive with an additional internal hard drive. The included hard drive is a Solid State Drive and I don't want anything on it except the OS. Then the secondary can be a typical hard disk drive where programs and everything else will be installed and stored. To prolong the life of my SSD, of course. The less read/write on the SSD the longer it shall live. ?

3 hours ago, HandyPAF said:

Thank you! No problems with Windows 10 yet. I applied a dark theme so I can read everything easier, other than that it is working fine. I have it almost completely configured but I need to replace the disc drive with an additional internal hard drive. The included hard drive is a Solid State Drive and I don't want anything on it except the OS. Then the secondary can be a typical hard disk drive where programs and everything else will be installed and stored. To prolong the life of my SSD, of course. The less read/write on the SSD the longer it shall live. ?

Oh Bro, so you're using Windows 10 Redstone 5 (Insider) :) Sadly, the stupid Microsoft People removed Sets :(

Very nice idea, I have my System in that configuration. I mean, I have SSD for the OS and some programs, but also I have a HDD with my games, the download folder is there and every file or program that make a lot of write :) So, as you, I can prolong the SSD lifespan :)

Archived