Microsoft Under Fire for Re-Installing Windows 10 Bloatware After Every Update

tao

Bloatware in Windows 10 isn’t quite a new thing, and users have been complaining about this for several years already, but the problem is once again going viral after the release of the April 2018 Update.

A discussion thread on reddit has more than 1,000 comments, many of which are blaming Microsoft for what most call a super-aggressive strategy to promote games and apps that nobody would have cared about otherwise.

This time, it all started after the April 2018 Update re-installed a series of games which users previously removed, including Bubble Witch 3 Saga and Candy Crush Saga. It’s not a secret that many Windows 10 users uninstall these games when upgrading their systems to Windows 10 or perform a clean install, but the recently-launched April 2018 Update brings them back and makes it harder to get rid of them.

While at first glance deleting these apps comes down to a right click and hitting the uninstall button, they typically come back after a reboot. In fact, the whole thing is a bit more complicated, and it requires users to first log in to the Microsoft Store, update all apps and games, and only then remove the ones that they don’t need anymore, including the said games.

Some considering a potential switch

This aggressive tactic is rapidly backfiring for Microsoft, and while we can’t quote many of the comments because of the language angry users have used, there are lots of Windows 10 users considering a potential switch to a different platform.

“This, along with the aggressive auto updates (great in theory, horrible when your PC is inaccessible abruptly for twenty minutes when there's a deadline in your face), is why I'm keeping a close eye on the Chromebook space when it comes time to replace my laptop,” one user said.

“I like Windows, but there's nothing keeping me loyal at this point and these little ‘unprofessional’ touches keep making me feel less and less fond.”

Earlier this year, Microsoft promised to get rid of bloatware in Windows 10, but only for the Workstation SKU, leaving users of Home and Pro to continue their fight with unwanted apps.

We’ve reached out to Microsoft for a word on this and will update the article if an answer is offered.

< Here >

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shorty6100

I uninstall all the bloatware with CCleaner. They don't come back-simple. 

Take care of what you delete , its sometimes hard to get it back , if you want ( gone =gone )…………………:rolleyes:

straycat19
6 hours ago, adi said:

“I like Windows, but there's nothing keeping me loyal at this point and these little ‘unprofessional’ touches keep making me feel less and less fond.”

The warnings were clear and disseminated everywhere in 2015, that if you bought into Windows 10 Microsoft would own your computer.  Some people didn't listen and now they are complaining.  No one forced you to go to Windows 10 so waste your time trying to cleanup everything Microsoft restores on every update.  Eventually you won't even be able to do that, since each release takes away part of what a user can do to control it on his system.  At some point in time you will only be able to turn on your system and buy and run software packages from Microsoft and from the looks of it that day is not too far off.

13 hours ago, shorty6100 said:

I uninstall all the bloatware with CCleaner. They don't come back-simple. 

11 hours ago, Pete 12 said:

Take care of what you delete , its sometimes hard to get it back , if you want ( gone =gone )…………………:rolleyes:

One day I unistalled all the bloatware and my Windows never booted up XD !!! ... Be careful bro :) .... 

By the way, I really don't feel the "pain" with Microsoft Bloatware :s Because I have Intel i7 3770K, 16GB Ram DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB and Kingston SSD 120 GB

shorty6100

Candy Crush, Minecraft ,Twitter, Facebook, etc. I don't want back. I've been doing this with CCleaner since the Anniversary update with no issues whatsoever. It is slightly annoying that these are preinstalled, but it takes seconds to get rid of them.

5 hours ago, shorty6100 said:

Candy Crush, Minecraft ,Twitter, Facebook, etc. I don't want back. I've been doing this with CCleaner since the Anniversary update with no issues whatsoever. It is slightly annoying that these are preinstalled, but it takes seconds to get rid of them.

If you do it on several PCs after every freakin' update it is not funny anymore...   And I am the only one responsible for this in my family... and some of my friends... So it is like 15-20 times... and hardware is different so I even can't create an image of the OS to preinstall it... 

11 minutes ago, MrEMan said:

I only use Windows at work but am the IT guy for a LOT of people.

If you want to easily remove the crap use a power shell script like this one https://github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10/blob/master/scripts/remove-default-apps.ps1

Regards

Oh, so you're a IT guy and use Windows in your work :) 

But, What OS you use at home??

I Am Negan

Weird, I upgraded to 1803 and didn't get any of those back. I only got onedrive back.

sandman117
On 14/05/2018 at 2:17 PM, shorty6100 said:

So do I, plus O&O shutup, seems to run OK after that

i am not using windows 10 as yet. i did try it out when first available, but reverted to windows 7. however, i know that support for windows 7 will be ceasing in 2020 so, unless there is yet another version of windows released, i will have little option but to 'upgrade' (if that is the correct term for this very intrusive, in my opinion O/S). i have heard of these LTSB versions but am not sure exactly what are the differences, eg are all languages available or can they be changed, what functions are left out or can be uninstalled etc. would welcome any info or links to find out myself.

the other thing, seeing as how the time limits for upgrading, including if using other functions of windows, has expired, how can i go about doing that? will it mean a complete format and reinstall from scratch, in which case, what drivers are included in the LTSB versions?

Many TIA

Very intrusive ? We can talk @kevpc about this matter if you really want (because it's could be very complicated). To resume, in fact we can control (a lot of things on) this aspect about W10.

From my point of view, first of all you mostly need 2 advice (warnings) :

• avoid any upgrade (it doesn't matter which OS (Windows, Linux, etc). Because this process isn't totally safe (there is always a risk of bugs) and it will be better and safer to (re)install the OS (by the clean way). Then yes it's the correct term but there is another choice (in fact you have 2 choice : upgrade or the clean (re)installation).
  • don't trust Microsoft about the drivers (you must check it yourself if one new version was published by the manufacturer(s) (AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc) on their websites). Yes it was improve but very often Microsoft doesn't have the latest driver (or the good one for W10 even today. The worst ? Sometimes it won't find any drivers).

so, clean install only, ensure i have needed drivers and hope all goes well. that seems to be what you mean, Ecarion. although it appears i, like many others who have been holding off, will end up with little choice but to move to win 10, it still sounds as if it is not the best version of windows to be on anyway. it's the stopping of support for previous versions, like win 7, that forces the change. not good really, but little option

tnx for the advice

You're welcome and just to confirm, that's correct @kevpc (about the meaning). For once, I will take one risk to say : don't worry because most of the times, it work's fine (at least, that's true for a lot of people).

From my point of view, in fact you have another choice about the OS (Mac or Linux). At least, if one day you believe you're ready (for real) to give a chance to another OS (not a Windows). As you can see, you have a huge number as options (and just to give you one little list of examples : Debian, TrueOS, Arch Linux, Lubuntu, CentOS, OpenBSD, Fedora, Elive, etc). At least, just take a look (and all the time you wish to think about) because perhaps one day, you will find one good alternative for you (after all, the support will be drop in 2020).

But there is a terrible bad point specially if you're a gamer (the kind doesn't matter at all. In fact, I just believe sometimes if we can, it's a good thing : to play (any games))... To resume, (under Linux) the kernel and drivers needs a massive improvements. It has already begun to change but SteamOS (Vulkan, Wine, GOG, etc) will need a long time... before to reach the same level has Windows (the difference (in power) could be huge between each OS and that's why I will probably keep W10).

For now, the list of games available is very short and that's just bad. It will be better in the futur when an huge amount of games will be design and publish and ready at the same time for Linux.

Not the best ? There are drawbacks (flat design is poor, etc) and advantages (goodbye Defender, etc). For me, W10 is a good one (rare BSOD in 3 years) and I didn't lie about the control.

I have kept a good memories about W7 and I didn't like W8 (I didn't forgot PowerShell, etc).

Apparently, W10 has really start to be improve (it's very recent because now one update (size almost 1,5 Go) need almost 20 minutes (download and install) instead of hour(s), finally Explorer has tabs, etc).

PS : You can also looking for a light release of W10 but you must find one team which you can trust (too many risk ? Probably). One release which must be similar to W7 ? Good luck because I imagine it will be hard to find (even to create)...

About Mac, no you don't need to buy a new PC (build by Apple). According to my memories, it could be very complicated just to install the OS... But you could try and the worst might be again the same : the drivers are rare (difficult to find or buggy).

What about today ? I can't tell because I had stop looking on this matter (several years ago).

About W10, don't forget to check the hardware (at least 2 or 4 Go RAM and I recommend one SSD). Why at least 64 Go ? Because that's a big lie. In the reality, if you want to install any Windows (W7 and W8 and W10) you will need at least 30 Go (NFTS partition size). Otherwise Windows will refuse to finish the process (the installation can't be done). According to the news, it will change in the futur (only 16 or 20 Go) but when ? We don't have a clue (neither a potential date)...

Nothing else (about the hardware) ? No because sometimes it could be good enough (unless you need a current, decent and powerful PC).

You're welcome @kevpc and if one day, you want more informations let me know.

Like I said you can really take all the time as you wish (sometimes it's just hard to change (old habits) and that's also true for any OS).

Archived