Seagate rolls out self-encrypting hard drives

nsane.forums

Seagate has released several new hard drives that feature self-encryption as standard.

The company said that it would be equipping its new Savvio, Constellation and Cheetah lines with the ability to automatically encrypt their contents. The drives will primarily target the enterprise server space.

The new drives will encrypt data prior to being written on the platter, then decrypt prior to reading the stored contents, allowing the data to remain encrypted when data is at rest or when the drives themselves are physically removed from the system.

Seagate said that the encryption techniques and formats are supported by the Trusted Computing Group and should also support Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers standards for key management. The drives will also support new 6Gbit/s server boards.

Initially, the company said that it hopes to aim the device at industries with heavy compliance standards, such as medical care facilities and financial institutions. A recent study suggested that many companies are still struggling to find adequate security management systems for stored data.

The release of the new server drives comes just one day after Seagate announced news in the desktop space. The company said that its latest line of Serial ATA III drives would perform at speeds of up to 6Gbit/s.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea yea, doesn't really matter, Seagate's reliability is rubbish. Just a few months ago I had to update the firmware on a Seagate 1TB HDD that failed to startup. It's really not pretty when you think about it, someone comes to me with their 1TB hdd saying their entire family pictures is stored on there and it does not want to work. LOL. Lucky for them most of the files remained intact after the firmware update but quite a few pictures were corrupted. It isn't a few isolated cases, just check the reviews over at newegg.

• Administrator

Well I have Seagate SATA HDD and I'm satisfied by it. So Leet what HDD brand do you recommend for overall use?

Well I have Seagate SATA HDD and I'm satisfied by it. So Leet what HDD brand do you recommend for overall use?

Back in 1990 I would have said Seagate, in 2009 I stick to Western Digital. Based on user reviews and other design features I would say WD is the most reliable right now. You have to get the new ones with least number of platters. Before you buy any hdd it is a good idea to research the model number online and see if there are any reviews about the drive, also they should list the number of platters it has inside.

I am currently on a Fujitsu.. I have put two Western Digitals.. in two different HP's and replaced one Maxtor...which died trying to give birth to Linux..

I want a solid state drive..

This initiative by Seagate,would c a to new generation of HD's.Kudos to them...though i use Western Digital myself ^_^

Yeah like my tiny little 60GB.. Seriously it fits in the palm of my hand.. and never gets above about 42 C.. and its wrapped in heat shielding..LOL.. no fan either..

looks like you had one of those bad ones. i luyckied out with the internal ones i gotten for use with blacX exetranl device and gateway pullout sections. i did spend a few hours each to verify on their website that mine was okay firmware. i think you being in a foreign country didnt help . im beating they reshipped and sold those bad ones by 3rd parties to other places on the earth.

my offically extrenals are all my black book western digital. i will never buy a max if i can help it. besides bestbuy here doesnt sell max's only circuit city did

this self encrypting by seagate is worthless. no password or key required. just get control of the computer from the outside and you will be able to read anything. or take the harddrive with you to your own system.. what will happen if yo use a real program for encrption on top of seagates bs one? and since you can take this harddrive and put it inot another computer then the fed, cops and other government and in europe riaa version will be able to take your harddrive and read it fine.

in the end this bs seatgate crap will just slow your harddrive reading and writing down and cost you some more money to buy. i also beating when something goes wrong and there is an erreor you will not be able to access your stuff. another seagate nightmare in the works.

• Administrator

I agree with you. But lets really wait and see what they really bring out. If it's that worthless, we will easily come to know about it. ;)

• Administrator

I'm not spendin on it before someone else spends money on it. ;)

ANW I'm not gonna buy somethin that can be expensive. :)

• Administrator

Well I will have to add expensive for nothing useful. Note: i7 is indeed expensive but very useful. :)

Archived