Changing my AV

Jime234

22 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Windows Firewall Control (WFC) is not a firewall — it's just a front-end GUI that drives your native Microsoft Firewall.

Have no working experience with PrivateFirewall — but, have used TinyWall a long time ago, it's very similar to Windows Firewall Control (WFC) but not so actively developed.

The other 2 firewalls COMODO and ZoneAlarm Pro are more effective than Windows Firewall Control (WFC) — however, people who swear by Windows Firewall Control (WFC) will testify that it consumes the lightest of resources and is much more easier to manage.

There's also one department where Windows Firewall Control (WFC) is top of its class — being an integral component of the OS, Windows Firewall is the very first firewall amongst all firewalls to start-up with Windows (a clear advantage for those whose internet connection is always on.)

This would depend on the individual objective/s of a layman — mine were lowest resource consumption and easy deployments.

Good News:—

For those seeking ease of use, IMO — Windows Firewall Control (WFC) figures amongst the top 3.

The Potentially Bad News:—

oh, End of an era :(

BTW, whats with the activation :o  !!

• Replies 48
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Undertaker said:

Windows defender is there on W7 as well, search for it. :hehe:

If you have an updated system it might even offer you better protection that it did several years ago bcoz of recent advancements.

But it's advisable to use MSE on w7.

When I started using WFC(introduced to it by @rudrax), I had no net connectivity.

The reason for that was I went in paranoid mode without knowing the nuances of it.

I would advise you to have the WFC recommended rules (which is offered while installing) and then proceed from there, learning about it.

I haven't used the other mentioned firewall much so my comparison would be baseless.

It is also suggested to have a look at DnsCrypt-proxy(either the cmd line one or simplednscrypt).

Yup, Although it kinda turns itself off when there is some other better alternative installed on the system

rudrax and you are diaper friends ?!

Now I wonder what DnsCrypt does !

13 minutes ago, Jime234 said:

BTW, whats with the activation :o  !!

The beauty of that method is that Windows Firewall Control (WFC) does not need to be activated — one can use the free edition with 100% effect. ;)

On 4/2/2018 at 2:00 AM, Jime234 said:

Hi,

I have been using ESET SS since half a decade now, Now I'm thinking about changing my security setup for a change.

I was thinking about MSE with WFC and MBAM, will it be good enough ?

In the past I have tried out Nortan, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira but they had huge update size or/and I just found them to be annoying... And then I found ESET:wub::hypocrite::notworthy:   

I just want an AV with small sized update definitions, just like ESET has.

If you guys have tried and experienced or know about such an av, then kindly suggest !

Thanks in Advance !!

ESET FTW.. :win:;)

8 hours ago, dcs18 said:

The beauty of that method is that Windows Firewall Control (WFC) does not need to be activated — one can use the free edition with 100% effect. ;)

Mine is v5 and the method seems to be about v4 !

I don't know how to Act!v@te it, And also, I want to be asked to allow connection or not (like ESET SS asks in interactive mode)

Is it possible ?

8 hours ago, fl0ppyd1scours3 said:

ESET FTW.. :win:;)

It Surely did, for me, until the trial reset stopped working !

Now I do this

54 minutes ago, Jime234 said:
9 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Mine is v5 and the method seems to be about v4 !

I don't know how to Act!v@te it, And also, I want to be asked to allow connection or not (like ESET SS asks in interactive mode)

Is it possible ?

The illustrations are just slightly different — shall update them when free (the method remains the same, though.)

However, if you want to use  Windows Firewall Control (WFC) in interactive mode, Notifications must be enabled (and, that's available only on a activated program) — interactive mode grows boring after a while and results in a mistake, sooner or later.

2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

The illustrations are just slightly different — shall update them when free (the method remains the same, though.)

However, if you want to use  Windows Firewall Control (WFC) in interactive mode, Notifications must be enabled (and, that's available only on a activated program) — interactive mode grows boring after a while and results in a mistake, sooner or later.

okay ! currently I use shell integration and things are fine, for now.

also, WFC is a bit hanggy !

Don't know DNS crypt but I was thinking about giving AdGuard a try..

Just to confirm that's right (as for the notifications, at first yes it will require the activation of WFC).

Agreed the first time it could be very boring and a very long process. But once the job is done after it will stop to bother you for a long while. At least for me that's true and it won't be a real trouble (import or export the rules and you can also disable WFC (refer to : "Start automatically at user logon"). Because the notifications are only visible when WFC is running).

It's remain boring ? My answer (just in the case) will be no. Because there is something really worst (the HIPS (function include in almost antivirus) specially if you rather the safety (it's might better to don't trust the company (read papers about malware SSL certificat stolen etc).

PS : If one day you have one trouble : don't forget the WFC shortcut (on your Desktop, Taskbar, Menu Windows, etc). Because you can run the program manually too (when you need it).

When you don't know (and it might help to avoid mistake) you can create rule(s) for a limited time.

I don't install a new software every day (very old habits then it could takes several months) and I rather the offline installer when it's possible (I will call that a bad design because we don't need to create rules (neither internet (not always connected)).

1 hour ago, Ecarion said:

But once the job is done after it will stop to bother you for a long while.

When you don't know (and it might help to avoid mistake) you can create rule(s) for a limited time.

Better to use the whitelist policy with notifications disabled — it's a one-time process which doesn't need any further re-adjustment (and doesn't bother the User — not even for that one, single time.)

Moreover, there is neither a scope for any gray areas nor for making a mistake — it also prevents 0-day network leaks . . . . . . in any form.

Because the notifications are only visible when WFC is running).

In my case, notifications are not visible, at all — regardless of whether Windows Firewall Control (WFC) is running or not.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:34 AM, Jime234 said:

WFC is a bit hanggy !

In what sense? If it means opening the rules window then I hope you followed the guide that dcs18 mentioned carefully, it has tips for that also.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:34 AM, Jime234 said:

Don't know DNS crypt but I was thinking about giving AdGuard a try..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSCrypt

It is now in v2 with more advancements. https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy

What's for you the whitelist policy ? I had read a few times but I didn't find it (not clear mentionned).

WFC was configured a very long time ago (years) and on the moment, I didn't follow one tutorial.

In fact, the notifications remain visible @dcs18 for a simple reason : because I haven't disable them. And I had choose to keep them (in the futur, it will help me to create a temporary rule).

In fact, the notifications remain visible @dcs18 for a simple reason : because I haven't disable them. And I had choose to keep them (in the futur, it will help me to create a temporary rule).

Notifications don't need to be left enabled (or visible) in order for one to be able to create temporary rule/s, in future.

On 2-4-2018 at 8:00 AM, Jime234 said:

Hi,

I have been using ESET SS since half a decade now, Now I'm thinking about changing my security setup for a change.

I was thinking about MSE with WFC and MBAM, will it be good enough ?

In the past I have tried out Nortan, Kaspersky, Avast, Avira but they had huge update size or/and I just found them to be annoying... And then I found ESET:wub::hypocrite::notworthy:   

I just want an AV with small sized update definitions, just like ESET has.

If you guys have tried and experienced or know about such an av, then kindly suggest !

Thanks in Advance !!

I was on ESET for years.. then installed Norton Internet Security to try, now I don't want back to ESET, Norton is great, try it out..

9 hours ago, psyko666 said:

I was on ESET for years.. then installed Norton Internet Security to try, now I don't want back to ESET, Norton is great, try it out..

I tried Norton 360 (NTR) few years ago before ESET, It was kind-of a PITA for me ! 

Its Updates were huge, and it felt heavy on my system, it was a PITA especially in the cases of updates !

14 hours ago, Jime234 said:

I tried Norton 360 (NTR) few years ago before ESET, It was kind-of a PITA for me ! 

Its Updates were huge, and it felt heavy on my system, it was a PITA especially in the cases of updates !

It isn't that kind of memory hog anymore, it's light on the system, try it out..

9 hours ago, psyko666 said:

It isn't that kind of memory hog anymore, it's light on the system, try it out..

Alright alright !!

I hate to say this but, can u provide me with appropriate links ?

6 hours ago, Jime234 said:

Alright alright !!

I hate to say this but, can u provide me with appropriate links ?

http://us.norton.com/support/redirects/redirect.jsp?type=latestns

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used Windows Defender (Win10) for some months, until I simply decided to move on to Kaspersky Total Security 2019 with Trial Reset XD 

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried different products both free and paid and finally I settled with SEP (unmanaged client).  No problems so far after 2 years, everything works perfect.

Archived