Katzenfreund

Do you trust VPNs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust VPNs?

• Premium VPNs are fully trustworthy and anonymous
    • At least my VPN is fully trustworthy and anonymous
    • No VPN is fully trustworthy and anonymous
    • VPNs only create a dangerous false sense of security

VPNs grant anonymity and privacy, also protection from hacking to their user. They can be used to bypass a government’s, ISP’s, company’s or geographic blocking. And of course protect from law suits for illegal activity like downloading torrents.

The good ones charge subscription and assure privacy and no log keeping in their terms. So you can thrust them. Or maybe not so much?

I’ve done some thinking and personal research on the subject.

Firstly, if I were the NSA, FBI, CIA, MI6 etc, I’d set up a cheap VPN and monitor its users. Who’s to say they’re not doing it?

Then there are always rumors about such authorities having access to specially made backdoors.

And not so imaginary stories of spying apps planted by them.

Or the service might get hacked.

As an example:

Snowden Docs Show UK Spies Attacked Anonymous, Hackers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/war-anonymous-british-spies-attacked-hackers-snowden-docs-show-n21361

But let’s look what the more honest of anonymising services say.

TOR in its FAQs says:

“There are plenty of subtle attacks people might try.

There might also be accidental bugs in Tor that could affect your anonymity. We periodically find and fix anonymity-related bugs,

Tor does not remove personal information from the data the user’s application sends.

Note that there are situations where Tor fails to solve privacy problems entirely.

If your IP happens to be an illegally used exit node, you can get into legal trouble without doing anything wrong.

Exit nodes can eavesdrop on communications.

Tor is a work in progress. There is still plenty of work left to do for a strong, secure, and complete solution.”

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#Backdoor

Also,

Tor does not hide the fact that someone is using Tor.

An adversary may try to de-anonymize the user by some means. One way is by exploiting vulnerable software on the user's computer.

The bulk of the funding for Tor's development has come from the federal government of the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)

But what about VPNs?

Taking the well known – and honest - Windscribe as an example, it says in its FAQs:

Q: Will Windscribe make me 100% anonymous?

A: Unlikely. Achieving complete anonymity online is extremely difficult if not impossible. Anyone who claims otherwise most likely has a pair of pants that are on fire. Windscribe will get you 90% there.

And I’ve seen reports by VPN users who checked their anonymised IP using more sophisticated tests and their true IP showed thru.

Finally, I’ve just come across this news story that prompted me to do the research:

Facebook promotes a VPN under the Onavo brand that collects even more data on you

https://www.techspot.com/news/73267-facebook-promotes-vpn-under-onavo-brand-collects-even.html

So whom can you trust? What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, cherishjoo said:

Do you guys know SSR? ShadowsocksR. 

Yeah, but never used it for what i remember

1 hour ago, Katzenfreund said:

So whom can you trust? What do you think?

We have our own private VPN simply because we don't trust any of the commercial ones.  I have 5 of my home computers on 5 different commercial VPNs but none of them are as secure as our own.  I use those as a security test bed, but don't publish results outside of our organization.  I will say this.  At any moment in time, if you are connected to a VPN, whether they say they keep data or not, your data is visible on their servers and any law enforcement organization can get access to that data simply by having the VPN capture their current data when told to by any law enforcement organization monitoring for when a specific user is online.  The old saying you can run but you can't hide has been proven over and over again.  On TOR.  On Bitcoin. And on others.  If you really want to hide, don't use a computer or cell phone.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The poll should include a simple NO.  No, I don't use VPNs but  not for any of the polling reasons.  I just don't want to waste my money on something unnecessary.  Whether or not a person thinks a VPN  is necessary is up to the individual.

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 9:49 AM, Katzenfreund said:

They can be used to bypass a government’s, ISP’s, company’s or geographic blocking.

This Is my main purpose, to unblock geographic blocking.

Edited by vitorio

VPN's are good tools to use but trusting any VPN 100% is equivalent to believing seat belts and airbags will save your life if you drive off a mountain :uhuh: 

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 7:27 PM, jamesDDI said:

Using AirVPN from years. Their TOS explains everything.

https://airvpn.org

Do not believe the paid reviews of the "other" vpn ;)

I don't trust any TOS that says it guarantees my privacy but I do trust most VPNs that they will allow me to access something banned within or outside my nation or by my ISP.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am on NordVPN now. My 3 years subscription will expire in about one month, and after that I'll opt for CyberGhost or Private Internet Access.