Intel grows market share to over 80 per cent

nsane.forums

Intel has taken over eighty per cent of the processor market for the first time in four years.

According to the latest data from analyst house iSuppli Intel now has 80.6 per cent of the processor market, up 1.5 per cent. It is Intel's best performance since 2005,when it stood at 82.4 per cent of the total market.

"Intel benefited as the global PC market took a first small step toward recovery in the second quarter, with global shipments rising by one percent from the first quarter", said Matthew Wilkins, principal analyst of compute platforms research for iSuppli.

"However, with PC shipments still down compared to a year earlier, Intel actually suffered a decline in microprocessor revenue compared to a year earlier, as did chief rival AMD".

AMD's market share fell by 1.4 per cent to 11.5 per cent, with other manufacturers such as Via also losing share.

"AMD didn't benefit from the small sequential rise in PC sales because its average microprocessor pricing was lower than that from the first quarter of 2009", Wilkins said.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Well I know Intel leads the way. But I didn't know soooooo much ahead than AMD also.

• Administrator

Yes. Even I'm seein many AMD users/fans lately. Even before I came/registered on nsaneforums. :yes:

wow 80% of the market share...that tells something about the great giant

80% ? For real ? ... I mean I have seen people fighting over AMD and Intel for ages. It would seem they would share the market more equally, not 80-12. I always believed it was something like 60-40 between them with Intel slightly leading the way.

• Administrator

Yea it surly would be somethin around 60-40 or even 65-35 but not 80-12.

LOL.. I dunno I think a lot of this could be contributed to the marketing strategy and commercials they portray themselves as very clean and professional, this appeals to professional manufacturers.. I mean how many of you can remember the last Intel based commercial you seen? Okay now how many of you can remember the last AMD commercial?

I think a big problem AMD faced was back when Compaq HP and a few others were offering both CPU's.. Many came with AMD processors, but due to the timing in the market.. and changes like chipset drivers and soon .. at a time when most users were either first time buyers.. or un-knowledgeable about several areas.. They had bad experiences with AMD..Since then the 'word-of-mouth' effect has ensued.. most people prefer Intel.. and when buying a pre-manufacturer system you really may not have a choice unless you custom configure.. so it winds up being the manufacturers contract agreement and most appealing architecture which winds up determining the choice made..

Intel to me, offers some of the better choices and appeals to developers because of things like Intel Performance Primitives...and the support they offer.

Myself I see it as a Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing.. and as a technical viewpoint I think that a rational decision would come from what your going to do with it.. where you want the strength.. the architecture desired and its something that really is getting down to the 'nitty-gritty' of the thing..Even I would kind of be wondering for a second ( until I found the search engine )... and the money to build the system...myself..( one thing I do want to do one day )

• Administrator

I properly remember that once I wrote this but I'm writtin it again.

Well the here engineers prefer only Intel. AMD only when a bit lack of proper budget. My family friend and my PC engineer tell me that once if you buy Intel it stays for a lifetime. I know it's not fully true but maybe somewhat.

Another incident was, many times I visit my cousin who stays far away from me. Because he's a bit small and his main use of the PC is to play games. I do the management job of his PC. Once he had an AMD. I used it very nicely and I was totally unsatisfied by it.

I would still prefer Intel forever. If not forever then till it stops manufacturin great processors.

I have used both Intel and AMD systems.

IMO, Intel is for business and AMD is for gaming.

I wonder, what if nVidia and ATi starts making CPU's fbca18c4d812e0d0f305884f9fd8a131.gif

• Administrator

You are right. I have heard whole world sayin that AMD is for gamin.

How can ATI and nVidiastart makin CPU? I mean nVidia and ATI's companies already manufactures CPU. :P

• Administrator

Ops. Sorry my mistake. Well I know that ATI is of AMD but thought that nvidia is of Intel or somthin. I have never used nvidiaso I didn't had an info on it. Well I can say that ATI's company(AMD) already manufactures CPU.

AMD acquired ATi because of their GPU technology.

ATi on its own did try to make a CPU, but it only ended up in failure.

@manpe:

AMD was planning to integrate their CPU with ATi's GPU.

Meaning, no more PCI-E / AGP slot for graphics card.

I have no news if they started already.

Archived