Apple confirms iPhone 8 crackling earpiece issue and says a fix is coming

fr3d3r1ck

Some iPhone 8 owners are running into an issue with the phone’s earpiece: when they make a call, the earpiece makes a disruptive “crackling” or “static” sound that disrupts the audio. Dozens of people on the MacRumors forumsApple’s support forum, and Reddit have reported experiencing the issue. It was also present on one phone owned by a Verge editor.

Apple said in a statement that the issue only comes up in a “small number” of cases and that the company is working on a software update to fix the problem. “We are aware of the issue which is affecting customers in a small number of cases,” an Apple spokesperson said. “Our team is at work on a fix, which will be included in an upcoming software release.”

It’s not clear what’s causing certain iPhones to be affected. The problem seems to impact both the 8 and 8 Plus, and owners indicate that it’s happening across different carriers and in different parts of the world, too.

The crackling only occurs during some phone and Facetime calls, though — it doesn’t happen during every single call, and it doesn’t show up when using the earpiece as a loudspeaker. That suggests it may be a software problem, like Apple is saying, since the hardware itself isn’t consistently displaying the issue.

You can get a sense for what the crackling sounds like in the video below — you’ll probably need to wear headphones to hear it:

The noise sounds like sharp pops at the very edge of the earpiece. While it wasn’t totally disruptive during the call I heard it on, it did sound a little odd and annoying.

Apple didn’t offer a timeline on when the bug fix would be shipped, but it typically issues multiple updates in the weeks and months after putting out a new phone and operating system.

This is the second software fix Apple has promised for one of the new devices it shipped this month. A software issue with the Apple Watch Series 3 caused the Watch to connect to unauthenticated Wi-Fi networks instead of handing off to LTE, leading to some real problems, in our testing, with the device’s flagship feature. The iPhone 8 issue seems to be less of a problem, but it’s still an annoyance for some of the device’s earliest buyers.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/26/16369818/iphone-8-crackling-apple-confirms-fix-coming

• Replies 7
  • Views 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just goes to show you this company doesn't care about testing their products, it's all about the money. After jobs was gone, it went downhill... 

These latest product are trash, especially 999 iPhone X

Never had any Apple product & I will not buy one in the near future...!

It is not about money, it's about the efficiency : their competitors have better products to competitive prices....;)

Also their softwares have lots of limitations, this is the main reason for which I do not like Apple...:fist:

3 minutes ago, Recruit said:

Never had any Apple product & I will not buy one in the near future...!

It is not about money, it's about the efficiency : their competitors have better products to competitive prices....;)

Also their softwares have lots of limitations, this is the main reason for which I do not like Apple...:fist:

yes have to wait 10 month for jailbreak this trash, not worth it. 

Have iPhone 6 last product from them I will use, Android easier and better. 

• 4 weeks later...
NorthEastKnight
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, BioHazard said:

Thinking of switching to Android :)

I'm thinking of switching from my iPhone 7 plus towards a more user friendly and greater features/compatibility android. Anybody got a recommendation for the best product to go for without having to plough through many  YouTube videos ? It looks like a Samsung product Galaxy 8S plus or the latest Note from the research I have done so far ?

• 3 months later...
samuelthegreat

I think that apple need to start taking more care making there phones as the last 2 models have had reported problems on launch. I have always used iphones but going off them as they are

going in the wrong direction unfrotunatley:(

Archived