Win 8.1 monthly rollup leaves customers unable to use Microsoft account

Karlston

If you have Windows 8.1 set to update automatically, you may find you can no longer sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. Looks like the cause is KB 4038792, the September monthly rollup.

Win 8.1 monthly rollup leaves customers unable to use Microsoft account
OpenClipArt-Vectors (CC0)

This month’s Patch Tuesday brought some weird Windows bugs, but this one’s probably the worst.

I’m seeing reports all over the web that folks running Windows 8.1 aren’t able to log in to their computers using a Microsoft account. Microsoft’s response at this point is that they’re aware of the problem, but if you want to use your machine, you need to log on with a local account.

cannot sign in to ms accountWoody Leonhard/IDG

That isn’t a whole lot of help for people who haven’t set up a local account or need to get to something on the machine that’s only available to the Microsoft account.

More than a week ago, in a reply on the Microsoft Answers forum, Microsoft employee Yolvi Ell laid the blame firmly at the foot of this month’s Windows 8.1 update:

This is a known bug in Windows 8.1 after the latest September update. Our Support Engineers are already looking into it and doing their best to resolve it as quickly as possible so as to minimize the inconvenience to our customers.

That would seem to implicate KB 4038792, the 2017-09 monthly rollup for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2. It isn’t clear at this point if the bug also affects the September security-only update for Windows 8.1, KB 4038793.

Ell goes on to say, as of early Monday morning:

As of the moment, affected Windows 8.1 users may use a local account instead of a Microsoft account while our engineers are fixing the bug. We have not yet received any news about when the fix will be released. We'll update this thread once it's available.

How widespread is the problem? I see Microsoft Answers forum posts going back to Sept. 13, the day after the patch was released, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here. There’s a lengthy TechNet thread here. There are discussions on BleepingcomputerMS Power User and Windows Central, as well as an early Japanese-language post on livedoor.jp.

Those posts describe various parts of the problem, but the common denominator seems to be an unexpected change at the time of this month’s Windows 8.1 security update.

Microsoft is fully aware that their Windows 8.1 customers are getting hung out to dry. Instead of answers, we’re getting pablum.

Still using Windows 8.1? We feel your pain. Drop by the AskWoody Lounge.

Source: Win 8.1 monthly rollup leaves customers unable to use Microsoft account (Computerworld - Woody Leonhard)

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm  don't thank this is a problem with windows  updates  when I clean installed windows 8.1 this month before i ever applied Sept. patches  when it went to the place to make a account  it gave me a error and told me i had to use a local account witch is what i  wanted to do any way  and saved me from having to opt out of using a M$ account.  It's a server bug I think  or maybe  they doing it because they want too who knows, but it happens regardless if you have Sept. patches or not I had  the PC  plugged into my modem I was not even using wifi . It installed updates OK after this from windows updates i don't never keep them on when not using them though i have it turned off and blocked with my firewall.   :blink:

There's a short thread here... Cannot login with Microsoft account ...where Microsoft acknowledge the problem...

Hi,

We're aware of this matter that affected a small subset of our users in certain areas when logging into their Microsoft accounts. Our engineering team is working hard to find and fix the reason for this known bug. We'll provide you with updates as soon as possible.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for further assistance needed.

Funny how all the Windows problems only ever affect a small number of users. Perhaps compared to the World's population? :)

7 hours ago, Karlston said:

Funny how all the Windows problems only ever affect a small number of users. Perhaps compared to the World's population? :)

They effect more people than you think the bugs are so far and wide spread over 3 OS  .They could be comparing Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 and Windows 10  and it could be effecting all of Windows 8.1 users and that would still be a small amount  of users of all the users they have. I know I didn't ever have this happen before witch too me personally it's not a problem no way.  I don't want too sign in to Microsoft no way, If I was going do all that I would not even be using Windows 8.1 Id be using Windows 10 instead.

50 minutes ago, steven36 said:

They effect more people than you think the bugs are so far and wide spread over 3 OS

Yep. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Just the Microsoft spin-masters trying to diminish the impact their bug-ridden updates have, in the forlorn hope that business will believe the spin and adopt Windows rot-10.

30 minutes ago, Karlston said:

Yep. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Just the Microsoft spin-masters trying to diminish the impact their bug-ridden updates have, in the forlorn hope that business will believe the spin and adopt Windows rot-10.

its not just updates  in this case it was not updates at all they have all kinds of server problem  randomly at Microsoft  and it is effecting  many people .

Some proof its just not me who had this problem  on clean install of Windows 8.1 without Septembers patches .

I'm having the same problem and of course I have let all the available updates install themselves after having reinstalled the system. No way to sign in.

According to the answers forum, many more users worldwide are having this problem.

It's a BUG

I've run in to the same thing after reinstalling Windows 8.1 after my hard drive died.  I've been through every fix I can find and nothing works to get the system to connect my local user account to a Microsoft account.  I can log in to my Microsoft account just fine through a web browser.  I've even gone so far as to create a brand new user account from scratch to see if its a user profile issue.  Nada.  Zip.  Nothing.

Based on TechNet and various support forums, this screams "Unfixed Long-standing BUG"

Hi, I'm using windows 8 and 8.1 for several years. but recently I've got a big problem. recently I reinstalled my windows (I did reset factory) and after that I can't connect to my Microsoft account. Note that windows 8 was originally installed on my laptop and I'd reset and reinstalled my windows in these years and I had never faced this problem. but last week I reset it again and since then I'm not able to connect to my Microsoft account. I've reset and reinstalled my windows many time after that and nothing has changed.

Source:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8f09df90-7c82-421c-82b1-f7e7272cafe1/cant-connect-to-microsoft-account?forum=w8itprogeneral

Its a old bug they need too fix in a windows update  so people can log in again.

Archived