Symantec rolls out Norton 2010

nsane.forums

Symantec has released the latest version of its Norton security suite.

The company said that the new Norton 2010 release would focus on reputation-based malware detection, which spots malicious applications based on behaviour rather than code signature.

To boost Norton's reputational detection, Symantec has developed a new component known as Quorum.

The tool is said by Symantec to weed out malware by analyzing an application for such attributes as age, source and behaviour. The factors are then analyzed and used to build a 'reputation' attribute which then allows Norton to track and isolate malicious software.

Quorum will also utilize a cloud-based network to track malware and allow systems to share malware data and deploy protections at a faster rate.

With the new tool, Symantec hopes to help progress beyond a signature-based model which vendors are increasingly shying away from due to a rising tide of new malware samples which makes constant signature updates nearly impossible.

Symantec is also among the vendors looking to improve by security software and overall system performance by lowering install size and memory footprint. The company said that the new software installs in roughly one minute and utilizes 10MB of system memory when operational.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 13
  • Views 22.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.... I wonder how easy to UNINSTALL this one will be? It was always left a lot behind back in the day. :dance2:

It does a pretty decent job now, and they also have a Norton Removal Tool for download at their site for a better clean out.

just to let everybody know,

1)This cersion is really light,and doesnt take time at start up,even lesser time than NOD32.Use it to believe it.

2)A full system scan takes considerably less time than before

10xxxx to Norton

i used nod32 or kaspersky for about 2-3 years....using NAV 2010 now and i am quite impressed with it...very light and fast...waiting for the TR so i can install NIS 2010

LOL.. The last thing I owned that was Symantec was a yellow pen which had a bubble blower with bubble blowing fluid in the end.. that some rep gave me at work..oh yeah and it had a huge smiley face at the end of it..

One reason I wouldn't use it is because the Symantec still makes exceptions for law enforcement malware. Pretty stupid and unreliable if you ask me.

Symantec and other major antivirus vendors have whitelisted the Magic Lantern trojan, rendering their antivirus products, including Norton AntiVirus, incapable of detecting it. Concerns around this whitelisting include uncertainties about Magic Lantern's full surveillance potential and whether hackers could subvert it and redeploy it for purposes outside of law enforcement.

That's like saying, it's ok for you to break the law but nobody else can do it. :eekout:

Lame concept, if you put your trust in a security program you would expect it to keep you secured, not make exceptions. So what happens when a hacker writes code resembling the signature of the FBI's tool?:think:

One reason I wouldn't use it is because the Symantec still makes exceptions for law enforcement malware. Pretty stupid and unreliable if you ask me.

Symantec and other major antivirus vendors have whitelisted the Magic Lantern trojan, rendering their antivirus products, including Norton AntiVirus, incapable of detecting it. Concerns around this whitelisting include uncertainties about Magic Lantern's full surveillance potential and whether hackers could subvert it and redeploy it for purposes outside of law enforcement.

That's like saying, it's ok for you to break the law but nobody else can do it. :eekout:

Lame concept, if you put your trust in a security program you would expect it to keep you secured, not make exceptions. So what happens when a hacker writes code resembling the signature of the FBI's tool?:think:

ohhh :think: ,i dint know that...thanks for the info.

true...but i dont think that will be a problem for people outside US....but yeah hackers can take advantage of that....anyways thanks for the info...

Scan Performance Profiles

The Scan Performance Profiles settings let you configure how Norton AntiVirus should scan your computer based on the digital signature and confidence level of the files. You can configure Norton AntiVirus to exclude the files that have known digital signatures or high confidence levels from the scan. This way, you can make the scan lighter, faster, and more effective.

You can configure Scan Performance to any one of the following profiles:

Full Scan

Lets Norton AntiVirus perform a complete scan of your computer

The complete scan includes a scan of all files on your computer irrespective of the confidence level or digital signature of the files.

Standard Trust

Lets Norton AntiVirus exclude from a scan the files that are Norton Trusted

Norton AntiVirus scans the files that have a confidence level other than Norton Trusted.

High Trust

Lets Norton AntiVirus exclude from a scan the files that have known digital signatures or high confidence levels.

Norton AntiVirus does not scan the files that have confidence level as Norton Trusted or User Trusted. It also excludes the Good files with high confidence level from the scan. It scans the files with confidence levels as Poor Trust, Unproven Trust, Not Trusted, and the files without a class 3 digital signature.

Norton AntiVirus scans your computer based on the configuration that you specify in Scan Performance Profiles.

I never had any respect for Symantec products, but I did read that their anti-virus has improved significantly since 2009 release but I didn't try it myself so I can't say for sure. I'm currently using NOD32 and so far I see no reason to change.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, two months ago I said goodbye to Outpost and Nod32, (both paid = latest versions) and bought NIS 2009... 1 month later it did a free upgrade to NIS 2010, all works fine, just fine and thats remarkable.

Try it, and if you don´t like it just remove it with the Norton removal tool. It is fast, it does not bother you with question... etc, low memory consumption. I stopped using symantec in 2003 it was a sooo heavy, but now it is what it used to be.

Archived