Doctor: Conor McGregor suffered mild traumatic brain injury in TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

Phantomboxe

840259900.0.jpg

Despite a valiant (and somewhat unexpected) performance against Floyd Mayweather Jr. — widely recognized as one of the finest pugilists of all time — Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion Conor McGregor was unable to shock the world in his “Money Fight” last Saturday night (Aug. 26, 2017) in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“Notorious” was stopped by way of tenth-round technical knockout (watch it).

Following their boxing match, Hall-of-Fame referee Robert Byrd came under fire for what appeared to be a premature stoppage, likely because a wobbly McGregor, despite taking heavy damage, was still on his feet when the bout was called.

I guess people forgot about this.

But McGregor’s assessment of the finish, which he attributed to fatigue after nearly 30 minutes of boxing, may be incorrect. That’s according to former ringside physician Darragh O’Carroll, MD, who praised Byrd for putting the brain before the brawn.

From his post on TONIC:

Byrd's calculation to call a stoppage was likely not based on signs of fatigue, but rather signs of traumatic brain injury. Ataxia, or dizziness and loss of balance, is one of the hallmarks of concussion, a type of mild traumatic brain injury. Fatigue may cause sluggish and slow movements, but does not cause the imbalance and poor coordination exhibited by McGregor in the 10th round. Being wobbly, in the setting of pugilistic trauma, will always be treated as the result of head trauma and not as fatigue. To let a fighter continue on would be grossly negligent.

Who cares about brain cells when you can just let him bang, bro?

The discussion on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) has slowly started to permeate the “just bleed” culture of cage fighting, which is still relatively young. It’s hard to initiate a call to action when everyone is fine.

But in reality, they’re not fine.

That’s why fighters like Krzysztof Soszynski and Ian McCall, among others, are struggling to preserve what’s left of their grey matter. Until then, it’s up to the folks in charge of fighter safety to do their jobs.

source:

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/9/1/16240362/doctor-conor-mcgregor-suffered-mild-traumatic-brain-injury-tko-loss-floyd-mayweather-mma

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/boxing/conor-mcgregor-brain-injury-135482

• Replies 166
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Hope he goes down for it..Then he might realize he ain't above the law...

1 hour ago, knowledge said:

knowledge-Spammer
13 hours ago, Reefa said:

Hope he goes down for it..Then he might realize he ain't above the law...

i am unsure what happened but it seems just maybe  its part to do with Khabib Nurmagomedov as  conor-mcgregor  and him hate  but both want to fight   soon i think   i seen this video a day ago  were  Khabib Nurmagomedov  want to fight with conor-mcgregor 

and they talk about the bus fight  that conor-mcgregor  did 

i wait to see  if conor fight with Khabib

Irish  vs russia

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, knowledge said:

i think its on now with both them

Yeah.  I cannot wait.  Khabib Nurmagomedov (26-0) is the best!!

knowledge-Spammer
3 hours ago, Dean213 said:

Yeah.  I cannot wait.  Khabib Nurmagomedov (26-0) is the best!!

he is one best i think he a mean guy not to be messed with  he  fights with bears when little boy

Khabib Nurmagomedov is real fighter i mean were he from he fight in streets

@knowledge

I agree.  He is the real deal.  McGregor has a lot of followers because of his "trash-talking."  Khabib is serious and his style of fighting is too much for the other competitors.  I honestly cannot see Khabib losing any time soon - he has zero losses thus far! McGregor on the other hand has lost more than twice in his UFC career.

knowledge-Spammer

it seems  Khabib  wants to hurt McGregor  more then i have seen him want to hurt people if i was McGregor  i be thinking about this all

Just now, knowledge said:

it seems  Khabib  wants to hurt McGregor  more then i have seen him want to hurt people if i was McGregor  i be thinking about this all

Well McGregor is not a true match for Khabib.  The guy who is a legitimate match is Tony Ferguson.  Ferguson is going to be standing in should either McGregor or Khabib get injure before the fight.  :)

Khabib will "change his face." :rofl:

knowledge-Spammer
On 9/14/2018 at 1:28 AM, Dean213 said:

Well McGregor is not a true match for Khabib.  The guy who is a legitimate match is Tony Ferguson.  Ferguson is going to be standing in should either McGregor or Khabib get injure before the fight.  :)

Khabib will "change his face." :rofl:

i looked up y Khabib  mad with McGregor

its to do with this video with McGregor  and putin   not smart thing for McGregor   but funny

@knowledge

This is McGregor's attempt to upset Khabib before the fight and distract him.  Khabib is not weak-minded, he is very disciplined and this sort of stuff will not work on Khabib.  :)

This sort of thing (photograph with Putin) would not upset Khabib because Putin is an international figure and Conor is one of the most famous sportsmen in the world. 

knowledge-Spammer

not much people no this but putin invited McGregor to the World Cup 

and i have to say it do seem like McGregor  like putin i seen things McGregor  said about putin

like this

This man is one of the greatest leaders of our time and I was honored to attend such a landmark event alongside him.
Today was an honor for me Mr. Putin. Thank you and congratulations on an amazing World Cup.

but like u have said Dean213

he trying to make Khabib  upset

plus see this video Conor McGregor Looking For Khabib In Russia PROMO

McGregor  no understand he is playing a bad game

I agree with you.

McGregor is playing a dangerous game in taunting Khabib.  Khabib is a grappler and once a good grappler gets you on the ground, you are in a world of trouble.  Fighters are never the same after they fight Khabib.  It is as if he takes away their soul ...lol

knowledge-Spammer
1 hour ago, dMog said:

Can not see under any circumstances that Khabib will lose this fight... 

i think is going to be interesting  fight

u seen what conor said and how he was  crazy is funny to watch him

Just now, knowledge said:

i think is going to be interesting  fight

u seen what conor said and how he was  crazy is funny to watch him

McGregor is very disrespectful.  I hope Khabib re-arranges his face.

Archived