What is the best way to block ads on non rooted Android

PafoH

On 7/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, straycat19 said:

I test adblocking by doing a google search and then seeing if the ads across the top and listed in the results are there.  For example, in another thread on this forum a search for flip flops was done on google and the picture ads across the top and ads in the search results were shown.  I tested my PC adblocking and I don't see any of those ads.

You mean the following pathetic looking one? :lmao:

On 7/7/2017 at 5:46 AM, straycat19 said:

Here is what I see when I do a google search for flip flops.

flipflops.jpg

It's time you learned the art of ad. blocking:

On 7/15/2017 at 2:31 PM, dcs18 said:

EPy5KVU.png

• Like 2

browser that includes adbloc is fully functional android-operated. No flash for others :lol:

On 7/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, straycat19 said:

I tested my android devices that have Adguard on them and they show all the ads.  There may be a way to filter them out manually but this was strictly a test of default adblocking without doing anything special.  Unfortunately extensions aren't usable on mobile devices so those that I use in windows can't be used on android.

Default ad. blocking, without doing anything special — utter rubbish! Nowadays, even n00bs do not use their ad. blocker, on default settings — the only morons who commit that blunder are the ones who review, compare and then promote third-rate software, for monetary considerations (here's one such example.)

Here's my result from AdGuard for Android and Firefox, blocking advertisements on Google Search with your favorite search parameter "Flip Flops":—

BaAwTnG.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The best way is on your router to install adblocker or configure it to block ads. There is a tutorial on the internet Google it ? . This way ads are gonna get blocked on PC and phone to or anyone using the internet via your router.

• 2 months later...

i tried a few..im non rooted..

adguard blocks the most that ive noticed especially on nasty lil sites that are needed to grab the stuff

cheers :)

Without root, I switched to Microsoft Edge browser on Android and it comes with Adblock Plus but it's off by default so you need to go to Settings -> Content Blockers then switch on to block ads. I was fed up of that nasty Chrome and Firefox was too fat, Edge was surprisingly lean and fast and the built-in ad blocker made it a superb choice.

It's actually absolutely possible to block ads on non-root Android, you could even use uBlock Origin filters system-wide for all HTTP & HTTPS traffic. You can even bring it to the next level with ad-blocking just like in desktop browsers.

It's really simple: Create an Android app that generates a fake root certificate and initiates a local VPN server (like any VPN app).

You then manually trust this certificate (install it) into the Android device's Root Authorities store (available in all devices).

The Android app then MITMs the HTTP & HTTPS traffic on ports 80 and 443, scanning the HTML streams and passing it through some kind of uBlock-like filters. The result is that your device even non-root doesn't have ads anymore, you can even couple that with hostname blocks for in-app advertising.

To even add to the concept, you could add an option in the app to go through a SOCKS / HTTP(S) proxy of your choice as upstream proxy like Psiphon does on Windows. That means you could enjoy ad-blocking while still keeping your original IP hidden.

It's quite surprising no one ever made such an app yet, you can even do that on iOS (iOS allows users to trust users' own root certificates).

Although for iOS you have to get your app on the App Store first, which is the only issue for running a local MITM VPN.

Edited by Rekkio
Added info
  • Like 2