visualbuffs

• Replies 59
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
straycat19

I use WD Black for storage drives in PCs and WD Red in my NAS units.  My large external drives are also WD as are my mobile external drives.  I quit using seagate  years ago, I think the last one I bought was a 1TB when it first came out.

Using 2 WD Black HDDs, 1 WD Red HDD with Samsung SSD (OS) intern , and 2 Seagate HDDs external ( only for storage ).

They are all functioning very well , I dont defrag my HDDs anymore , you must not defrag your OS-backups (!) , I have noticed HDD live short with ( too much) defragging.

Also using 2 very old Maxtor HDDs on second PC , they are still healthy.............!  :D

Here I will give you my humble appreciation, I have seen that some choose Seagate and other WD, I've been stuck in this world for many years and you must apply the logic in all this, I have IDE hdd of more than 20 years and still work, is very different than if I say I have them working, because they are saved as memories , but every so often I try and work, before all these components were made to last a long time, now with the intention of lowering costs the lifespan is very short, but over the course of all these years I have been improving the quality of the components that I added to my computers and the biggest investment I made to buy 3 high end PSU and that keep my hard drives in an optimal state and some of them are Seagate and are 8 years, but I have seen and verified that the disks "WD Black" are better performance and zero errors, I use them as main HDD where I install the OS and everything goes well, but I would recommend any of the two brands, but to get a better performance and duration the "WD black" are my first choice and so that all components have long life the secret is to have a Very Good High End PSU either "Platinum" or "Titanium" and with this all your system will last a lot more than the average allowed

Depends on your needs & use. For on the cheap storage Seagate is king. Seagate is also very unreliable. I trusted Seagate & got bitten. After extensive hardware forum research I chose HGST.

HGST 4TB Deskstar 7200 rpm 128MB Cache SATA III 3.5" Internal NAS Drive Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7YOH4P

Also recommend using an active smart monitoring software like Hard Disk Sentinel that notifies you when drive failure is imminent. I wish I had this software before loosing 4yrs of my digital files.

write2vivek86

i would prefer WD instead of Seagate. Currently using OEM shipped WD in my acer laptop. Before buying the laptop i was pretty sure that i should get WD

WD far over Seagate based on my 30 years.  All the others are +/- the same; different models are more or less good over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

WD - Ive had more Seagate's drives fail than all the other brands put together.

• 2 weeks later...

WD is good for internal and external, Samsung for SSD's and Seagate is only good as a backup drive you have no real plans of using. Seagate has a very high failure rate. As for Toshiba, I admit I only had one briefly, and it wan't mine, but it seemed fast and reliable. 

Airstream_Bill

WD

I have been using Seagate HDD in the range of 500GB to 2TB range, both dekstop and laptop HDDs for many years, and none has yet failed. At the same time period, two WD 2TB Green Drive has died which took away all my movie collections. So TO ME, Seagate has been more reliable than WD. But does that matter to you?

So although you read statistics saying that WD is more reliable (by a fraction to a few percentage depending on model), it's ALMOST not related to personal use. When you have a problem with an HDD, the percentage for YOUR, as an individual's HDD, is 100%, no matter what statistics said. In this sense, the 0.1-3% difference between WD and Seagate in failure rate is basically negligible. 

Morale of the story is: no matter Seagate or WD you are using, you HAVE TO keep at least one backup copy of your data on a different HDD or other storage media. So I buy every brand. Why? Because every brand can fail. And when it fails, it's 100% failure for you. And the differences among different brands, the largest by a few percent, is basically nothing. Only thing matters to me is price/GB. 

I used Seagate drives for many years back in the early 90s.  They were fine drives.  I began using strictly WD drives in the 2000's because they had a longer warranty period than Seagate.  I don't know if that is still true but I have loads of drives and spare drives so it would be too expensive to start switching now.  Every time I bought a drive I would get two.  The reason for this was that most failures occurred because of the drive controller, so by having an extra drive I could remove the controller board, replace the failed board and still have access to my data.  Generally I would upgrade all the drives in all my computers at the same time so one spare drive was all I needed for repairs.  I don't think that drive brand matters as much as the warranty period.  I will state emphatically, that I would never buy a WD Green Drive.  I don't believe they have the quality of the WD Black drives for Desktops.

SnakeMasteR

WD internal for quite some years, no problems. Also use a 2 TB USB external WD, no problems either.

Model is important, manufacturer doesn't matter.

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, icezero said:

both are OK

Really?  How many years experience do you have and how many hundreds of drives have you used?  Or just posting bullshit to up your post count?

19 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

Really?  How many years experience do you have and how many hundreds of drives have you used?  Or just posting bullshit to up your post count?

My first hard disk is 4.3 GB. And I really think they both are OK. If really need to compare, not compare WD or Seagate, compare specific model,  such as WD30EZRZ or ST3000DM008.

And yes, it's for post count.

I've got different models of WD, Seagate and a few Samsung as well, running internally on hundreds of clients machines and thousands externally — all running great (thanks to regular maintenance on the hardware front and awesome defragmentation on the software front, from Diskeeper Enterprise Server 2011 . . . . . . . or, call it pure luck — if you wish.)

Almost all of our HDDs outlast the warranty period. However, did have to replace the occasional failed HDDs (arising from User clumsiness — like dropping the laptop and some other reasons too stupid to describe out here) and have found WD delivering the best replacement service, in my region.

A careful choice of model, as opposed to brand is the mantra — another important criterion would be the replacement service in your region.

All that been said, both . . . . . . WD and Seagate are no longer the leaders, in so far as internal SSDs are concerned.

I own both...My WD for the storage capabilities and my Seagate for its Bluetooth connection which makes it very useful to use with my Ipad. :) 

I vaguely remember when Seagate had hdd's on the market that were doomed from the get go and may have had something to do with the firmware itself.

I think Seagate's reputation has been trash ever since if not before but it definitely took a huge hit after that.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion it depends on what you plan to use your drives for.

I have a 6 year old computer that originally had 2 inexpensive Seagate drives in RAID 1, and after 2 years one of them died.

A year later the other one died, I replaced them both with inexpensive WD drives and so far I haven't had any issues with those.

In my personal rig I have a more expensive 2TB Seagate drive and that one is still going strong after 4 years.

If you decide to go with Seagate I'd recommend to stay away from their cheaper drives.

last HDD i bought was WD black (usin' in optibay as second  laptop's disc ),it's ok.

Archived