visualbuffs

visualbuffs

guys i had a question

which is better hard drive manufacturer? Seagate or Western Digital?

for me Seagate will last long but my favorite was WD 

for external hard drive best brand was Seagate

but for internal? 

• Replies 59
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Misaki2010

YOU POSTED IN THE WRONG SECTION OF THE FORUM!!!

EDIT: and definitely go with WD, that's what I am always using. Except on my laptop, I got an AMD SSD there.

I'll go with WD, but depending of your usage you have to choose carefully (Black for perfs, Red for storage, etc.)

If a recall well they have the less failure rate of the market.

If you take a server version you can take both, all consumer HD's are ....................

• Administrator

Thread moved to Technology Talk.

I vote for Seagate, I have HDDs of that brand that are still alive for more than 10 years, while some WD HDDS have died in few months or less than two years.

Airstream_Bill

WD .  I have a My Books it is over 7 years old If I remember Correctly.  

Hitachi Deskstar is my favorite.

1 hour ago, Matsuda said:

Seagate for external and Western Digital for internal. 

Like he said :) I have a WD Black for my internal and two Seagates for external backups that only run from time to time ;)

stylemessiah

WD if you value your data

Seagate if you like watching things die...and crying when all your media dies with it

6 hours ago, jabrwky said:

Hitachi Deskstar is my favorite.

Hehehe the deathstar drives never fail to make me laugh. I remember that period so well

Toshiba or WD
Segate =:( for me 

macnavarra

Despite of economical problems in Toshiba there HDD are the more friable.

So I would go for the Toshiba brand. 

+1 for WD

LeetPirate

For me, Western Digital has been the best for consumer and enterprise drives. Seagate fails hard especially for external drives. The only time I end up with Seagate drives is when buying servers and dell ships them with rebranded Seagate enterprise drives. Seagate external drives use some sort of rubbish emulation with a garbage controller from 1986 that could never keep up with the file transfers or number of files on the drive. Try formatting a Seagate 4TB external drive and it looks like a single partition but remove the drive and connect it directly to the motherboard and you find 3 smaller partitions each partly filled and impossible to access your files. So if you don't value your data then put it on a Seagate backup drive. 

I've had failures with both, but overall less issues with WD - so WD for me.

I note Toshiba drives are slightly cheaper for me, what are people's experiences with Toshiba?

When I had 2 internal WD Green, 1Tb each one, both started to fail in less than a year.

On the other hand, I replaced both for one WD Blue 2Tb and is working fine (since 2 years). And the external WD MyBook 4Tb works well since 4 years.

And I have an external Seagate that works fine for 2 years.

So I had good and bad experiences with WD. But I recommend that brand over Seagate.

visualbuffs
11 hours ago, stylemessiah said:

WD if you value your data

Seagate if you like watching things die...and crying when all your media dies with it

Hehehe the deathstar drives never fail to make me laugh. I remember that period so well

hitachi desktar was no good for me. i had 8 hitachi desktar and the board was bricked even samsung chipset are install

HGST now is good and owned by WD

Toshiba was fast but im scared of their product. like samsung hdd are horror 

though i had 160gb of seagate and sell it to a friend and now it's 9 years old working fine but the performance decreases  but health are 100 percent and no problem.

i had 5 wd 320gb  that was brick but i dont know why im still WD fan. ahhahaa maybe because of seagate 250gb factory defect that affects many of my customer concerning that 250gb of seagate was horror. thats why that time i bought 10 wd 320gb and 5 of them still alive 7 years ago from now. and 5 was dead hehehe

visualbuffs
2 hours ago, Chancer said:

I've had failures with both, but overall less issues with WD - so WD for me.

I note Toshiba drives are slightly cheaper for me, what are people's experiences with Toshiba?

yah my WD my passport 1tb usb 3.0  external hard drive are excellent 

visualbuffs
17 hours ago, lurch234 said:

Like he said :) I have a WD Black for my internal and two Seagates for external backups that only run from time to time ;)

seagate external was not good as heaven. i had samsung m3 1tb usb 3.0 and if u open the case you'll notice a SEAGATE hdd inside on it

im using it oftenly let say once a month for backup purpose only

until 1 day it never spin . i SAID WTF HAHA

i open it and since usb interface and no sata interface on that seagate no software repair done

18 hours ago, SPECTRUM said:

I vote for Seagate, I have HDDs of that brand that are still alive for more than 10 years, while some WD HDDS have died in few months or less than two years.

it depends wd 80 gb and 160 was stone and never brick

WD and HGST are my favorites HDD manufacturer.

More RMA with Seagate.

Seagate is less reliable since many years.

Archived