Laptop Advice Needed

Jime234

Hey there  ,
Currently I have a T410 Thinkpad (1st Gen i5 M560 @ 2.67GHz ,4GB RAM, Sam 750 Evo 120 GB SSD @240MBPS  , 1440x900 Reso)( Refurbished  )
But its So darn heavy  ! It has that extra big battery butt too, makes it even more heavier..

So guys, please help me pick a comparatively new and light laptop model. Hopefully a Thinkpad.
Thanks a lot!!

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/20/2017 at 10:13 AM, Jime234 said:

So guys, please help me pick a comparatively new and light laptop model. Hopefully a Thinkpad.

I don't recommend Stinkpads to anyone.  If you want a good fast laptop for gaming I recommend the Dell Inspiron 15 7000.  It has a 2.5Ghz i5-7300HQ CPU, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD, and 15.6 inch 1920x1080.  $799

Lenovo (the maker of Thinkpads)  has a 14 inch laptop the Y700.  Has outdated AMD graphics and a 5400RPM drive, no SSD.  $699

You can buy Dell refurbished Laptops on their outlet store and get a good deal.  I have bought several there and saved as much as 75%.  You have to read carefully what they have to offer and avoid the scratch and dents.  A lot of my friends only buy from the outlet store, which also sells new laptops occasionally.  Their offerings change from day to day, so if you don't find what you want today you may tomorrow.  And good systems go really fast so you need to be quick.  I bought one laptop that retailed for $2200 for $600 a couple years ago and it is still running strong after running for at least 8 hours a day every day since I bought it and still has a few months left on the warranty.

• Administrator

Always stay away from that company, the one you are using. So many issues, it looks like that company makes money more out of maintenance of their products rather than giving good quality products.

Support Dell here too. ASUS laptops I good, but not as good as Dell I think. However, I have heard Dell quality not being as good recently though.

4 hours ago, DKT27 said:

However, I have heard Dell quality not being as good recently though.

The sister of my dog groomer wanted a new Dell so I pointed her to the outlet store where she bought a refurbished Latitude for $399.  About a month after she got it she couldn't get it to turn on.  She called Dell and they were going to send her a return carton overnight.  When she didn't receive it the next day she called them again.  The customer service rep checked and saw that someone had cancelled his carton shipment.  He apologized and told her someone would call her the next day.  The next day she received a call from a Dell support tech in a city about 2 hours away,  who set up an appointment for the following day. The next day he drove to her house and replaced the motherboard.  All at no charge.  What other company would offer such excellent service for a $400 refurbished laptop?  Systems sometimes fail.  I have had nothing but Dell laptops since 1997 (I have 17 working at home now) and I have never had a single problem with any of them.  Am I lucky or does Dell just produce good laptops?  (Hint - I couldn't win a cover all game of bingo if I only needed one number and there were only two numbers left to call.)

One university, after using Dells for years, switched to Lenovo because they bid lower.  Come to find out the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is really true.  They may have saved money on their purchase but they had to hire 25 new techs to do desktop support and keep the damn things running correctly and increase their hardware repair department by 6 to do parts replacement.  If it wasn't that IBM Thinkpads were always called STINKPADS, they surely would be after Lenovo bought them out.

Oh my Gaud !

Will you guys kindly elaborate exactly what happed to your Thinkpads/Stinkpads or Lenovo/IBM products ?

21 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Always stay away from that company, the one you are using. So many issues, it looks like that company makes money more out of maintenance of their products rather than giving good quality products.

Support Dell here too. ASUS laptops I good, but not as good as Dell I think. However, I have heard Dell quality not being as good recently though.

Bro, what should we buy then ?

+1 for ASUS laptops in my experience

What do you do on notebook ?  
I worked with all brands of laptops  

Acer 
have good travelmate notebooks and some aspire notebooks and predator notebooks 
in my Country is central service for another Country  

Asus 
Good gaming notebooks some another models crap in my country good service 

MSI good gaming  notebooks GP and another models not good are GL models  Central Service Center in Poland for my and another country 

Lenovo only good Thinkpad models and new legion models  Average service for my country in Germany in  Essen long tame to arrived and back form service 

HP good notebooks and Beautiful models Omen  and some nice Pavilion starwars model etc. Pavilon service in Poland for my country 

Toshiba very good but only business models Good service for my country 

Dell good notebooks but  more expensive With NBD Service at home some models do not support this 

Fujitsu 
very good but only business models Good service for my country

17 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Not touching LENOVO since they installed SUPERFISH spyware on their bios to monitor their users

Spot on! :yes:

18 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Not touching LENOVO since they installed SUPERFISH spyware on their bios to monitor their users

Stupid Lenovo ! I wonder why it had to do that

21 hours ago, PrisRender said:

buy cheapest one or buy a desktop. period.

Ma'am,you need to stop advising and take some rest. Your account got freaking hacked, Dan git !

• Administrator

My personal experience with Dell is quite good. But I have heard some quality problems very recently. Still, recommend Dell over others. Look for models in your budget here.

On 25.04.2017 at 0:22 AM, teodz1984 said:

not quite ryt.

what Superfish is

how to remove

3 Lenovos owner here (just owner,not a fan) ,all ones was with free DOS (any Superfish ) & workin' pretty good.Lenovo support better than ASUS's  or DELL's  here btw.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jime234 said:

Now thats confusing !!

Do this. Post what's your budget, what's your needs for laptop - work, documents, photo / video editing, gaming. Then look for Dell and ASUS laptops for it.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:36 AM, DKT27 said:

Do this. Post what's your budget, what's your needs for laptop - work, documents, photo / video editing, gaming. Then look for Dell and ASUS laptops for it.

I wont go for asus, I want a light laptop for very light gaming, and general stuff like browsing, office work, watching movies....

4 hours ago, Jime234 said:

I wont go for asus, I want a light laptop for very light gaming, and general stuff like browsing, office work, watching movies.

Forget about all this brand's  bullshit,let them fight for your money .Just find cheapest variant for your needs.Sure laptop's quality is same (more or less) now days.

CPU but not a brand is important. U can add RAM or replace HDD to SSD after.

On 5/1/2017 at 6:17 PM, gipsy said:

Forget about all this brand's  bullshit,let them fight for your money .Just find cheapest variant for your needs.Sure laptop's quality is same (more or less) now days.

CPU but not a brand is important. U can add RAM or replace HDD to SSD after.

Yeah, I'll just try and find an ultrabook equivalent from AMD ^_^ great, thanks for the motivation Bro

11 hours ago, rudrax said:

Asus Vivobook max all the way. 

I'm sorry but asus a place for itself in my commode. I'll take a look at it anyways like I always do.... 

Archived