[Solved] Need advice on building a new PC

nsan3

5 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Thanks a ton guys for all your valuable suggestions :)

Please find below my updated list, my heart says this is the way forward :-

1) CPU -> Intel Core i7 6700K 3.40GHz 
2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler (Not gonna risk my board with a Liquid Cooler.) Height (with fan) = 160 mm

3) mATX Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5
4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic X-850W Gold
5) RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz 
6) mATX Cabinet -> Cooler Master Silencio 352 Supports a CPU cooler up to 155mm
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 860 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) / Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive)

8.) GFX Card -> EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition

As you can see, CPU cooler won't fit...

• Replies 70
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler (Not gonna risk my board with a Liquid Cooler.)
6) mATX Cabinet -> Cooler Master Silencio 352 
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) / Samsung 950 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive)

Sorry i didn't respond to your comments. The forum wasn't accessible few days back. :P

IMO you made the right decision about the cooler. You don't have to go with liquid cooler since it's your first build. I won't go into more detail, but liquid cooling require quite a bit of work to install. When you decide to start overclocking your system then you can switch to liquid cooling. By that time i think you have more experience and gather more info about PC building and overclocking. One step at a time. ;)

Don't pick 1080 FE. Better go with FTW edition. It performs much better and possibly a bit cheaper as well. Founder edition is just sort of limited edition reference card. In other words it's just a basic version of 1080.

3 hours ago, nsan3 said:

2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler (Not gonna risk my board with a Liquid Cooler.)
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) / Samsung 950 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive)

you don't seem you wanna assemble them yourself anyway so you shouldn't need to worry about messing up liquid cooler. btw it's not plain water.

see, as I said, i5 would bottleneck your GPU now that you chose GTX1080. i knew it's a gaming system, i felt it right ;) 

5 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

As you can see, CPU cooler won't fit...

@WALLONN7 Damn I hate it when your right, guess the Silencio is not for me :(

I have decided to go forward with either "Fractal Design's - Define R4 Black Pearl" or with the "NANOXIA's - Deep Silence 4 Mini Tower" cabinets. Both can support CPU Cooler heights of 160mm.

And have decided to go ahead with a revised graphics card "EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB GDDR5X (11G-P4-6696-KR)".

Please find the updated list below :-

2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler 
3) mATX Motherboard -> Fractal Design's - Define  R4 Black Pearl   (OR)  NANOXIA's - Deep Silence 4 Mini Tower
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) / Samsung 950 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive)
8.) GFX Card -> EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 11GB GDDR5X (11G-P4-6696-KR)

1 hour ago, nsan3 said:

I have decided to go forward with either "Fractal Design's - Define R4 Black Pearl" or with the "NANOXIA's - Deep Silence 4 Mini Tower" cabinets. Both can support CPU Cooler heights of 160mm

3) mATX Motherboard -> Fractal Design's - Define  R4 Black Pearl   (OR)  NANOXIA's - Deep Silence 4 Mini Tower

160mm case + 160mm CPU cooler = potencial risk to :duh:

How about Silencio 650?! CPU cooler up to 168mm; almost the same Silencio 352 design; Front hot swap dock... Take a look!!!

9 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

you don't seem you wanna assemble them yourself anyway so you shouldn't need to worry about messing up liquid cooler. btw it's not plain water.

see, as I said, i5 would bottleneck your GPU now that you chose GTX1080. i knew it's a gaming system, i felt it right ;) 

Lol, this guy... :lol:

Can't you just move on instead of keep defending yourself?

6 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

160mm case + 160mm CPU cooler = potencial risk to :duh:

How about Silencio 650?! CPU cooler up to 168mm; almost the same Silencio 352 design; Front hot swap dock... Take a look!!!

Yeah, i agree with you. There should be more space for the cooler. I'm not gonna risk it.

@nsan3 There are many good looking mATX cases. Maybe you should consider different case? NZXT S340 (Elite version if you like tempered glass), Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, some Corsair Carbide series, and also Silencio 650 that @WALLONN7 mentioned above.

Ninja Edit: Scratch S340, i was dumb. I just focused on the looks without checking the CPU fan clearance. :P

I see that you have opted for 1080 Ti 11GB which is surely an overkill if you don't do 4k gaming. So in that regard why not opt for an overkill CPU too - the i7-6950X? I hope it will support Win 7.

@nsan3

7 minutes ago, rudrax said:

I see that you have opted for 1080 Ti 11GB which is surely an overkill if you don't do 4k gaming. So in that regard why not opt for an overkill CPU too - the i7-6950X? I hope it will support Win 7.

@nsan3

Good catch. I meant to suggest 1080 FTW not Ti. But we actually forgot to ask something important. What kind of monitor setup he wants?

If he just want to use single 1080p screen then 1070 should do the job easily. Really we have to know the monitor setup before blindly suggest a GPU.

17 minutes ago, trufpal said:

Good catch. I meant to suggest 1080 FTW not Ti. But we actually forgot to ask something important. What kind of monitor setup he wants?

If he just want to use single 1080p screen then 1070 should do the job easily. Really we have to know the monitor setup before blindly suggest a GPU.

In the beginning he hadn't even opted for a dedicated GPU, so I don't think that he is serious about multi-monitor setup. In that case and going with the overkill POV, I think, he should go with this.

Intel Core i7 6700K clocks at 4.00 ghz not 3.40ghz :)

@rudrax, @trufpal, @WALLONN7 thanks a lot guys for the suggestions.

Yes, let me put it out there about my monitor setup, I am only going ahead with a single 1080p monitor setup. No multi-monitors setups as of now.

As for the 4K Gaming, as of now, nope I will not be going ahead with it (To be quite frank, not much of a gamer, but just being kinda future-proof). And as rudrax has rightly said maybe the TI is an overkill so I would be downgrading to the 1080 model (EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8GB GDDR5X HYDRO COPPER (08G-P4-6299-KR).

As for the cabinet, I am still deciding on it, my mind is on mATX but if nothing pops up as that good, maybe ill go ahead with a ATX cabinet.

7 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

@rudrax, @trufpal, @WALLONN7 thanks a lot guys for the suggestions.

Yes, let me put it out there about my monitor setup, I am only going ahead with a single 1080p monitor setup. No multi-monitors setups as of now.

As for the 4K Gaming, as of now, nope I will not be going ahead with it (To be quite frank, not much of a gamer, but just being kinda future-proof). And as rudrax has rightly said maybe the TI is an overkill so I would be downgrading to the 1080 model (EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8GB GDDR5X HYDRO COPPER (08G-P4-6299-KR).

As for the cabinet, I am still deciding on it, my mind is on mATX but if nothing pops up as that good, maybe ill go ahead with a ATX cabinet.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that EVGA version requires water cooler. Check this version EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0. It's a standard dual fans version. I'm just giving an input and i won't dictate your build. You can go with another version as well.

Building a PC is about having your own choice of parts, unlike pre-built. I'll just keep giving advice as long as i have the knowledge of the matter.

Nothing you can get in the present as future proof. The best thing you can do is to stick with the latest one in present, of which, you are 1 step already behind for going with i7-6700K.

@nsan3

20 minutes ago, trufpal said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think that EVGA version requires water cooler.

Threre's no need to correction here... You're right... It does require WC...

7 hours ago, trufpal said:

Lol, this guy... :lol:

Can't you just move on instead of keep defending yourself?

whenever I talked to you then jump in and talk lol :lol: 

Guys, have updated the mATX cabinet and GFX Card sections.

Please check the updated list below (Have included the estimated costs as well for each):-

1) CPU -> Intel Core i7 6700K 3.40GHz (~ $300)
2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler (~ $80)
3) mATX Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 (~ $162)
4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic X-850W Gold (~ $120)
5) RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz (~ $260)
6) mATX Cabinet -> Aerocool's Dead Silence Cube Window Black Edition (~ $150)
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) (~ $619) / Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive) (~ $514)
8.) GFX Card -> EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8GB GDDR5X ACX 3.0 (08G-P4-6286-KR) (~ $550)

Estimated Total Cost:- $2755

50 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Guys, have updated the mATX cabinet and GFX Card sections.

Please check the updated list below (Have included the estimated costs as well for each):-

1) CPU -> Intel Core i7 6700K 3.40GHz (~ $300)
2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler (~ $80)
3) mATX Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5 (~ $162)
4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic X-850W Gold (~ $120)
5) RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz (~ $260)
6) mATX Cabinet -> Aerocool's Dead Silence Cube Window Black Edition (~ $150)
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) (~ $619) / Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive) (~ $514)
8.) GFX Card -> EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW 8GB GDDR5X ACX 3.0 (08G-P4-6286-KR) (~ $550)

Estimated Total Cost:- $2755

Well, looks like you're finally ready to go... No problem at all... Everything fits...

3 minutes ago, vitorio said:

Please post a picture of it, inside and outside, once you build it, to see how it looks your new toy.

Most definitely will buddy :) But actually will be taking sometime though for the build, have my money currently shelved for other stuffs.

But yes will surely snap pics/ record video for my dear community that is NSane :)

Thank you all once again for all the helpful suggestions, cheers :drunk::cheers:

Changing the topic name to "Solved". Thank you once again.

• Administrator

I personally would have preferred ASUS motherboard and graphics card though.

Eitherway, just a reminder, thermal paste and also buy a good quality CPU power cable, not the cheap ones being found everywhere, the one that comes with the PSU does not work in India here.

The Motherboard GA-Z170 is capable of handling maximum of DDR4-3466 Mhz of frequency. So why waste bandwidth by going with DDR4-3000 Mhz?

@nsan3

Archived