[Solved] Need advice on building a new PC

nsan3

What is your budget? 

What are your expectations from the machine?

• Replies 70
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rudrax said:

What is your budget? 

What are your expectations from the machine?

Budget is not really a constraint as of now. Expectation is to browse, perform normal chores, transfer external HDD data to an internal 8TB HDD as quickly as possible.

2 hours ago, nsan3 said:

Budget is not really a constraint as of now. Expectation is to browse, perform normal chores, transfer external HDD data to an internal 8TB HDD as quickly as possible.

You are saying that your budget is not limited and yet you use HDDs in the era of PCIe SSDs! For backup purposes HDDs are fine but if you want performance on the go, you will need to have a SSD as your boot drive. I need a budget (a certain amount of money that you'd think twice before spending on your build), then only I can suggest the best out of it.

I5s should be better than I3s because of the physical core count which is better than the virtual core count...

3 hours ago, trufpal said:

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10#ov

Only found this one so far. It has all the features you want. Many tech sites recommend this board.

Thanks a lot buddy.

Please find the below list with which I guess the build can move forward :-

1) CPU -> Intel Core i7 6700K 3.40GHz 
2) CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212X 
3) Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5
4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic M12II-750 EVO M12II Series 750W PSU
5) RAM -> Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) 3000 MHz 
6) mATX Cabinet -> Cooler Master Silencio 352 
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD 

1 hour ago, nsan3 said:

Thanks a lot buddy.

Please find the below list with which I guess the build can move forward :-

2) CPU Cooler -> Cooler Master Hyper 212X 
3) Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5
4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic M12II-750 EVO M12II Series 750W PSU
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD 

Can you give a ball park figure of the investment money based on this requirements? ,Please.

• Administrator

Looks good. Again, make sure you are not going for mATX case. I have heard good things about Corsair 200R, but it might be too simple for you. There are so many options to look at.

Now about PSU, 750W is way too much. If you overclock your computer and also go for high powered graphics card, then you will require 500W PSU. One can run this computer on 350W PSU, but as you want to overclock then 500W will be fine for you. Just remember, the PSUs that come with case are total worthless crap, these cheap things neither have quality parts, nor any protections and are not made to run with expensive parts. By most I will recommend 550W or 650W, as 750W is way too much.

Another thing, if you want, buy some good CM case fans, also, thermal paste, as the one that comes with the CPU cooler might not be the best I think.

11 hours ago, nsan3 said:

10 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Looks good. Again, make sure you are not going for mATX case.

@nsan3

I thought we had already talked about this... :P

26 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Looks good. Again, make sure you are not going for mATX case. I have heard good things about Corsair 200R, but it might be too simple for you. There are so many options to look at.

Now about PSU, 750W is way too much. If you overclock your computer and also go for high powered graphics card, then you will require 500W PSU. One can run this computer on 350W PSU, but as you want to overclock then 500W will be fine for you. Just remember, the PSUs that come with case are total worthless crap, these cheap things neither have quality parts, nor any protections and are not made to run with expensive parts. By most I will recommend 550W or 650W, as 750W is way too much.

Another thing, if you want, buy some good CM case fans, also, thermal paste, as the one that comes with the CPU cooler might not be the best I think.

I agreed about the PSU point. Personally, i'd rather get seasonic X650 or even X550 which is a better tier PSU than M12.

Newer hardware are more efficient in terms of power usage. So, unless he plan to do an extreme overclock then it's unnecessary to go with 750 W PSU.

Here's my reference when choose a PSU:

Edit: I want to clarify that using 750 won't cause any problem. I was just thinking why not getting better PSU instead of bigger watt?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, trufpal said:

I agreed about the PSU point. Personally, i'd rather get seasonic X650 or even X550 which is a better tier PSU than M12.

Newer hardware are more efficient in terms of power usage. So, unless he plan to do an extreme overclock then it's unnecessary to go with 750 W PSU.

Here's my reference when choose a PSU:

Looks like both of your sources are same as mine. :P However, if one has time to go in-depth, then I have one more here. Seem to have stopped reviewing new PSUs though.

44 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Looks like both of your sources are same as mine. :P However, if one has time to go in-depth, then I have one more here. Seem to have stopped reviewing new PSUs though.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

That's my go to place if i'm looking for PSU reviews. But in most cases i'm just checking out tom's hardware PSU tier list.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:31 AM, WALLONN7 said:

@nsan3

I thought we had already talked about this... :P

Lol actually I have decided to opt for a mATX compatible motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5) @WALLONN7, so I guess then I can still keep the mATX cabinet ( Cooler Master Silencio 352) right??? Please give me your thoughts on the same.

And thanks @DKT27 & @trufpal for the suggestions on the PSU part. Actually the Seasonic  X550/X650 are a bit price-ier than the Seasonic M12II. But hey guys, you have more knowledge on this section than me. I want my Mobo/CPU/HDD/RAM/Other components to be safe that's all. Do let me know which PSU to go for :)

And last but not the least, welcome back all NSaners, was quite worried yesterday when the site was Error-ing out. Thanks again to all for your immense help, much appreciated :) 

On 4/18/2017 at 8:18 PM, vitorio said:

Can you give a ball park figure of the investment money based on this requirements? ,Please.

Hi buddy, sorry to delay on my response. I believe my build would roughly come down to about USD 1850/- (Excluding LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, UPS).

12 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Lol actually I have decided to opt for a mATX compatible motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5) @WALLONN7, so I guess then I can still keep the mATX cabinet ( Cooler Master Silencio 352) right??? Please give me your thoughts on the same.

You do love that case!!!! ^_^

For my part, I suggest you get the revision 1.1 of the motherboard. Although there is no information about what was added, corrected or etc, but in the case of "revision", it is always good to acquire the revised one.

2 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

You do love that case!!!! ^_^

For my part, I suggest you get the revision 1.1 of the motherboard. Although there is no information about what was added, corrected or etc, but in the case of "revision", it is always good to acquire the revised one.

Lol kinda yeah buddy, the case just has all that I need and was looking for :)

Thanks a ton buddy, I will definitely opt for the Rev1.1 of the Mobo as you said , cheers :cheers:

Why are you opting for 6th gen. intel core processor family while there already the 7th gen. are available?

Why not even opt out for AMD Ryzen based configuration? Ryzens have been beating the crap out of intel, recently.

@nsan3

18 minutes ago, rudrax said:

Why are you opting for 6th gen. intel core processor family while there already the 7th gen. are available?

Why not even opt out for AMD Ryzen based configuration? Ryzens have been beating the crap out of intel, recently.

The 7th gen processors doesn't support Win-7. Had written about this earlier on this topic itself actually.

And as far as AMD Ryzen is concerned, its just my personal choice to go ahead with Intel i7. Its like if we ask a photographer if Canon or Nikon is the best, he'll be having his preference. Same way when it comes to cars, ask someone if he thinks that Benz or BMW is the best. In reality both the options are good, but it boils down to one's individual preference. Its almost 20 years now since I have started using a PC, and from then till now I am an Intel person :)

@DKT27  & @trufpal How does "SEASONIC 750W POWER SUPPLY 80+ GOLD" sound to you guys?? Do you guys think I can go ahead this chap for PSU??

4 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

@DKT27  & @trufpal How does "SEASONIC 750W POWER SUPPLY 80+ GOLD" sound to you guys?? Do you guys think I can go ahead this chap for PSU??

Please, confirm its complete model number and let us know...

53 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

The 7th gen processors doesn't support Win-7. Had written about this earlier on this topic itself actually.

And as far as AMD Ryzen is concerned, its just my personal choice to go ahead with Intel i7. Its like if we ask a photographer if Canon or Nikon is the best, he'll be having his preference. Same way when it comes to cars, ask someone if he thinks that Benz or BMW is the best. In reality both the options are good, but it boils down to one's individual preference. Its almost 20 years now since I have started using a PC, and from then till now I am an Intel person :)

I have no doubt about Intel. I too have never preferred AMD over Intel. Sticking with Win 7 is your own preference although I'd never recommend it because the end is near for it.

Below you will find one of the configs that I'd suggest

6 minutes ago, rudrax said:

I have no doubt about Intel. I too have never preferred AMD over Intel. Sticking with Win 7 is your own preference although I'd never recommend it because the end is near for it.

Below you will find one of the configs that I'd suggest

Really an amazing spec list buddy, just spellbound after looking at the components. That Graphics card is just kickass. Love the ATX cabi as well. Let me go through the same. Thanks a ton for the list :)

13 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

Really an amazing spec list buddy, just spellbound after looking at the components. That Graphics card is just kickass. Love the ATX cabi as well. Let me go through the same. Thanks a ton for the list :)

You're welcome! I think you've noticed that I have added a PCIe x16 based SSD as boot drive which is insanely fast. The 8TB drive that you have, use that as external/backup drive fitting that to a HDD dock/case. There is no room for HDD in the era of SSD inside the machine.

Thanks a ton guys for all your valuable suggestions :)

Please find below my updated list, my heart says this is the way forward :-

2) CPU Cooler -> Noctua NH-D15S CPU Air Cooler (Not gonna risk my board with a Liquid Cooler.)
3) mATX Motherboard -> Gigabyte GA-Z170MX Gaming 5
4) SMPS Power Supply -> Seasonic X-850W Gold
7) Internal HDD -> Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIe 1TB (Primary Drive) / Samsung 950 Pro SSD 1TB (Secondary Drive)

8.) GFX Card -> EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition

Archived