Windows 10 Ads Unacceptable, Users Complain in Feedback Hub

CrAKeN

windows-10-ads-unacceptable-users-compla

Anti-ad post in the Feedback Hub

Ads in Windows 10 are becoming more of a common thing these days, but this still doesn’t mean that users are okay with them. And living proof is the number of posts complaining about ads in the Feedback Hub.

More and more users turn to the Windows 10 feedback platform to complain about the ads they’ve started seeing in the operating system, including the OneDrive banner that shows up in File Explorer every now and then.

Most of these users consider the ads “unacceptable,” pointing out that Microsoft shouldn’t adopt such an aggressive approach against those who are running the company’s operating system on their PCs, especially if they paid for it.

Remove ads or else

And just like it happens every time Microsoft does something that annoys its customers, there are users threatening to move to Apple should the company continue displaying ads in Windows 10.

“I paid good money for this machine running a paid copy of Windows 10 Pro. You bet this ad made me angry. I’ve never been an Apple guy, but I will seriously consider trading in my X1 Yoga for a MacBook if this keeps up,” one user posted in the Feedback Hub during the weekend.

At this point, the top post asking Microsoft to give up on OneDrive ads in File Explorer has a little over 230 votes, but there are several other similar feedback requests with hundreds and tens of votes. Microsoft is yet to respond to these suggestions, though they are marked as “feedback received,” and there’s a good chance these ads will continue to show up in Windows 10 in the future.

The upcoming Windows 10 Creators Update due next month won’t bring any changes in this regard, so expect ads to stick around for a little longer.

If you do not like ads, here’s a very simple guide on how to block them in Windows 10, as Microsoft does provide some easy methods to disable them across the OS.

Source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At lest they went to the right site  to complain about the ads  unlike  many , I wonder was it a update too one drive  that caused these ads because I still never seen no ads  i keep one drive blocked and disabled . I done updates patch Tuesday  and still dont have any and many others don't have ads. so it seems  it has too be something they installed .

Microsoft fans shouldn’t have to be defending Windows 10’s ads

Last weekend I penned a piece about Microsoft’s advertising practices in Windows 10. I noted that the firm was traveling down a slippery slope, slowly escalating the level of advertising seen in each version of Windows from levels which could be seen as kinda-sorta- helpful to useful tips to ads which limited themselves to native apps to full blown advertising in the OS.

Paul Thurrott over at Petri has an article on why he thinks this is happening that you can read if you’re interested. I’m not going to rehash it and talk about what’s going on. What I’m going to focus on today are the most common defenses leveled by some media pundits and Windows fans in order to diminish the complaints.

“But Apple and Google do it too”

This is what is known in logic as a “Tu Quoque” fallacy or as all people who deal with small children know the “How come he can do it but I can’t” argument. It’s not really an argument so much as it is pointing or that someone else does the same thing, ergo they should be allowed to do the same thing. In most cases, it is a logical fallacy because it a) is an attempt at deflection from the topic at hand and a red herring, and b) the comparison is never really appropriate.

Take this example where Owen Williams compares the uproar over Windows 10’s advertising and notes that Apple’s Mac OS pops up a notification whenever default browsers are changed. I’m sure some people are complaining about it, but it is disingenuous to compare to this to Windows because Microsoft does exactly the same thing in Windows 10 when you deviate from the Microsoft recommended defaults and that is not what people are complaining about.

Another popular example is that Google advises users that YouTube and Gmail work better in Chrome when visited using external browsers. Strictly speaking, this is probably true, and this is probably an advert for Chrome. That is fair enough. What is not mentioned here is that these also aren’t the type of ads people are complaining about. Much like with the Safari example above, Microsoft also promotes Edge if you open Bing or Outlook in Chrome or other non-Microsoft browsers. We don’t talk about this because it’s assumed to be fair game, and it isn’t directly comparable to Microsoft surfacing ads in Windows 10 itself.

What would be comparable would be examples of Apple or Google surfacing ads in their OS in places like the File Explorer on Android phones, Springboard, Google Now Launcher/Pixel Launcher, Finder etc. Until these manufacturers begin to push and promote ads for store apps and other apps in their various OSes,  this line of defense just doesn’t work.

“But Windows 10 is free, how do you expect Microsoft to recoup their investment”

This is a terrible argument on several fronts.

Firstly and briefly, unless you’re a Microsoft shareholder or employee, you have no business worrying about Microsoft’s bottom line. Your contribution to Windows revenue begins and ends at the online or in-store checkout where you presumably paid for it with hard-earned money.

Secondly, Windows 10 is not free. It comes pre-installed with PCs in which case it is purchased by OEMs and then the pricing is bundled in with that of your PC, or it can be purchased by users from Microsoft who sells it at a base price of £109.99.  One way or another, you’re paying for Windows.

Finally and more importantly, there’s is an issue of trust and trust being violated there.

Microsoft promised explicitly that Windows 10 would be free, They made great pains to explain that the Windows 10 upgrade was not free with an asterisk or with hidden terms and conditions but genuinely free. While some online pundits and commenters argued that Microsoft giving out Windows 10 for free meant that Windows 10 was being monetized and that Microsoft would slowly take control from the user, they were dismissed as crackpots and spreaders of FUD.

Playing devil’s advocate for a moment here and assuming that this is what Microsoft is actually doing, this implies that Microsoft deliberately lied to their customers when they marketed Windows 10 as free with no strings attached. Much like with the Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade “promise”OneDrive kerfuffle a while ago, this erodes trust in Microsoft’s word. It implies that Microsoft can promise something explicitly, and then change it once you’re sufficiently locked-in.

Microsoft has introduced a new setting in the Windows 10 Creators Update that allows users to lock out non-store apps. Currently, distrustful people are theorizing that this feature could be made from an option and turned into the default setting. While this is clearly nonsense, it is going to be harder to convince those users of that fact as the same users who dismissed Windows 10 ads are now the same ones who claim it was always “obvious”.

For users who are satisfied with Windows 7 or 8 and already distrustful of Windows 10 because of its somewhat overblown privacy issues, this “defense” doesn’t make it any more attractive.

“But you can turn it off”

You could turn Cortana off before too. Simply speaking, would you turn it on if it was off by default? If no, then who does it benefit.

There’s nothing wrong with ads per se, and some companies and OS makers are even strategising with using ads to subsidize their phones for people with smaller budgets. Amazon does it with the Moto G4 and no one’s compalining about that. The difference here is that it’s not done sneakily, it’s not done under the table, and it certainly isn’t done after charging the buyer £3000.

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-fans-shouldnt-defending-windows-10s-ads/

it's funny how Google offers it's products inside each product/service, and nobody complains, but then Microsoft do the same and the people lose his mind and complain a lot xD

1 hour ago, SPECTRUM said:

it's funny how Google offers it's products inside each product/service, and nobody complains, but then Microsoft do the same and the people lose his mind and complain a lot xD

Quite simple.

You buy a phone with an operating system that costs nothing (well, at least it is always included for the phone to function... Psssst psssst.... M$ also gets money for each Android phone sold).

You buy a PC and the price of Windows 10 license is either included or you need to buy it separately (you need to buy it if you are a pc-builder too). Or you select another *nix based OS.

Do you expect ads in a free product? Probably. That is how half of the Android-App ecosystem work - you get a free app with ads, or you buy premium without.

Do you expect ads in a product that you have payed for (and each and every older iteration was Ad-free)? Hell no, nu-uh!

Simple, ain't it?

The mutiny  of it is when i install windows 10  witch i paid for my PC and windows was in  the price it was there choice to give it away as a free upgrade . They gave it away before  Windows 7 to people who bought a vista pcs  after windows 7 was released and it didn't have no ads  ..Well when I install it i had to do all kinds of tweaking too remove adware . I can go download Linux Mint  or Manjaro Linux  and install ether one free and the OS dont have ads  Most every app on linux dont have ads ether . Even if  you do install apps with ads that you're choice . The closest thing in Linux with ads is Firefox but windows 10 it comes full of  ads lol.  Linux Mint dont  even have google search in there Firefox  if you want it you have too add that yourself  and  they dont have DRM  in Linux Firefox ether.  

One the old systems I have here,  when  we got it Microsoft  send us a free windows 7 disc  for one PC for buying it with Vista on it . When I bought my Windows 8.1 Dell It was windows 8.1 Free upgrade to Windows 10 but the catch 22 is all the adware bundled in Windows 10 lol.

see here Free Windows 7 Upgrade

Microsoft is offering Free windows 7 upgrade under the Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program.Under this program, licensed end users of selected Microsoft Windows Vista operating system editions can obtain an Upgrade license (the Upgrade) to the appropriate Windows 7 edition at reduced or no additional cost if the end user meets program qualifications.

Update: Students and the academic community worldwide can free download windows 7 or buy windows 7 cheap at discounted prices.Check out the following posts for further information.

https://techblissonline.com/free-windows-7/

My other windows 7 key I got  free too from someone who had access too Free Windows 7 keys for academic and many of those keys people sell on ebay they got for free like this. :P

I bought Windows ME , XP  and Vista and Windows 8x  witch were in the price of computers but I never had too buy Windows 7 or Windows 10 yet  and I get Windows 10 free because I block all the crap it calls out with a firewall  even windows updates..  I just download them in installers . But  I not should have too  block  Windows updates , Microsoft , MSN  and Bing I never had to do this in windows 7 as long as i opted out  of telemetry . But even in Windows 7 and 8.1 they have  Windows Customer Experience on by defeat they take advantage  of people who have no real knowledge  of how windows work.

1 hour ago, steven36 said:

But even in Windows 7 and 8.1 they have  Windows Customer Experience on by defeat they take advantage  of people who have no real knowledge  of how windows work.

I actually had an popup in each and every Win7/8/8.1 version asking the user if they want to participate in the customer experience program, plus there was this setting at the beginning of the account setup (in 8/8.1 I think). First run of the Office Suite (or setup) and it also ask you if you want to participate. The same with Windows Media Player (non-Metro).

So no - it was not "on by default". But ... does it really matter? Telemetry plus now.... the freakin' ADS !  Just you wait till they start to charge the normal end-users for this oh-so-great OS (there were already some rumours about a subscription-based version for the enterprises).

24 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

I actually had an popup in each and every Win7/8/8.1 version asking the user if they want to participate in the customer experience program, plus there was this setting at the beginning of the account setup (in 8/8.1 I think). First run of the Office Suite (or setup) and it also ask you if you want to participate. The same with Windows Media Player (non-Metro).

So no - it was not "on by default". But ... does it really matter? Telemetry plus now.... the freakin' ADS !  Just you wait till they start to charge the normal end-users for this oh-so-great OS (there were already some rumours about a subscription-based version for the enterprises).

On my computers it never did i had too uncheck all that crap

original-3846e24a072206ba7c5ecc10fb75d42

Disable “Customer Experience Improvement Program” (CEIP) in Windows Media Player

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-customer-experience-improvement-program-in-windows-media-player/
https://pubs.vmware.com/view-51/topic/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-BE82165B-13BC-4FD9-A9CF-FBEF6343D98A.html

I used Windows Xp Antispy on XP   It called  home to Microsoft and there was not even no default way to disable it.

original-538266d8099b454f3f6aed33db7e6e8

https://xp-antispy.org/en/

Microsoft has always been snooping on users .

Just now, steven36 said:

Microsoft has always been snooping on users .

Mate - I'm not saying it didn't.

But we shouldn't allow it to step even further. Period.

50 minutes ago, PrEzi said:

Mate - I'm not saying it didn't.

But we shouldn't allow it to step even further. Period.

Thats one of the downsides of using Proprietary software you dont never know what its doing in the  back ground because you're not allowed to review the Code . Something like ads you can see you can prove that but what there doing with you're data can't be proved because its encrypted.   If it were not for businesses paying so much they most likely would never added any opt outs ever.

Because that's what Windows 10 home is like  you can turn everything off  and still it collects data and Pro version gives you more control  and Enterprise  gives you the most control. They dont care about home users any more only they  care about businesses.

When you installed windows 10 you agreed to let them do this.  if you dont have any knowledge of how windows works i dont recommended it . Others on my network still use Windows 7 and It's because I told them they don't want windows 10 ..because it just add more work on me trying fix it were it dont call home and they dont run the same programs as me and it would be hard for me too do.

When you install Windows 8.1 you agreed  to a bunch of stuff too just not as bad as Win 10 but worse than Win 7

https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8-1-privacy-statement

They get worse all the time every time they release windows and now they just update it for Windows 10 because each time you upgrade you agree again.

Archived