Seven good reasons to switch to Windows 7

Lite

I don't know about XP (never used it for graphics intensive games) but 7 plays games a lot faster and better than Vista and does most other things better than XP. My guess is that it would play games as well or better than XP.

• Replies 55
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How to compare?.... Windows 7 has what XP Pro had and more.

I had being using XP Pro since it came out....... :rolleyes:

Windows 7 in overall, or only 7 Pro and Ultimate?

And when you compare those two (I assume you're using 7), then which one is faster, better?

I am interested because I'm currently in the middle of "buying" 7 Ultimate (Windows 7 Ultimate AIO Activated), and want to be sure I won't regret the switch as I did with Vista.

• Administrator

When did you say you are buyin it? :lol:

Not familiar with that particular modified "version" but assuming you don't have problems stemming from using a crack, I think the odds are that you will be pretty happy with W7, whichever version you get. 7, although obviously related to or descended from Vista, has completely fixed the problems and issues that were in Vista.

Comparing the versions of 7, obviously Ultimate has a few more features, but imo, most are unneeded for most users or can easily be replaced with better third party apps. Only reason I'm using Ultimate is because I got it for free. If I had to pay for it, I would be using Home Premium which combined with a few 3rd party apps such as TrueCrypt, Acronis TIH, etc., etc., offers everything I need.

Ultimate (and I believe Pro) have the virtual XP mode, which might be useful for people who have to run apps that only run on XP, however, there are also 3rd party apps that provide that capability, assuming you have or can get a copy of XP.

But only way to find out if it will satisfy you is to try it out. Suggest loading it onto a spare hard drive and seeing how it works out for you. That would make it easy to go back to your old OS if you don't like it. Just hope you don't have a bad experience due to a crack and blame it on W7.

Not familiar with that particular modified "version" but assuming you don't have problems stemming from using a crack, I think the odds are that you will be pretty happy with W7, whichever version you get. 7, although obviously related to or descended from Vista, has completely fixed the problems and issues that were in Vista.

Comparing the versions of 7, obviously Ultimate has a few more features, but imo, most are unneeded for most users or can easily be replaced with better third party apps. Only reason I'm using Ultimate is because I got it for free. If I had to pay for it, I would be using Home Premium which combined with a few 3rd party apps such as TrueCrypt, Acronis TIH, etc., etc., offers everything I need.

Ultimate (and I believe Pro) have the virtual XP mode, which might be useful for people who have to run apps that only run on XP, however, there are also 3rd party apps that provide that capability, assuming you have or can get a copy of XP.

But only way to find out if it will satisfy you is to try it out. Suggest loading it onto a spare hard drive and seeing how it works out for you. That would make it easy to go back to your old OS if you don't like it. Just hope you don't have a bad experience due to a crack and blame it on W7.

This version which I'm downloading is from Orbit... I read the comments on torrent sites and I believe it is the final version.

By the way... sorry for going heavily OT now, but this s* is now seriously starting to bug me: My internet connection cuts every 5-15 minutes for a moment, and my torrent will have to start connecting to seeds and peers all over again. Fuuuuck... what is causing this? It's not the first time I see it happening.

PS I know it is caused by uTorrent, but why??

• Administrator

Maybe somethin would be blockin it and it may not be utorrent.

Maybe somethin would be blockin it and it may not be utorrent.

It only happens when uTorrent is downloading. I tried disabling PeerBlock, didn't help. The only thing which comes to my mind is ESS firewall, which I have disabled for now, will see how it goes. If it is the case that it's caused by ESS, then bye bye ESET in W7 for me :( And hello Norton, Kaspersky or Comodo (still haven't decided).

I was doing 400+ kB/s and the connection shut down!!!!!! Anyway, now I know it isn't ESS.

Please, any ideas how to fix it? It's not the first time I lose the several-hundred kB/s speed due to this cr** :fear: :angry:

EDIT: sorry for the bad temper, I was just nervous.

I will end the OT here.

Windows 7 in overall, or only 7 Pro and Ultimate?

And when you compare those two (I assume you're using 7), then which one is faster, better?

I am interested because I'm currently in the middle of "buying" 7 Ultimate (Windows 7 Ultimate AIO Activated), and want to be sure I won't regret the switch as I did with Vista.

Don't buy any All-In-Ones, you will regret that someday because those are the ones that gets blacklisted first and you will have to go manually destroy the old activation then re-activate each time you install it. Better to buy a clean win7 untouched msdn release and keep your activators separate.

As for your other question all the games I play run faster on Win7 and Win7 boots up super fast, faster than XP. Minus the BIOS boot time, Win7 itself loads in under 30 seconds, full desktop ready to use. Vista used to take 3 mins, XP used to take about 40 seconds. At first I had problems getting some programs to work like Warcraft banlist and WinPcap etc but they work flawlessly once you enable and set compatibility mode for Vista or XP in some cases. I usually play most games in window mode but some are retarded and can't lock the mouse properly like Red Alert 3 so that has to go in full screen mode but it loads fast.

Agree with LeetPirate with regards to boot up timing....My boot up in about 40 seconds as I have some third party program which run on Startup.

But overall, Windows 7 boot up about 20 seconds faster than XP Pro.

The surprise thing is Windows 7 has about 38 running process and XP has only 20+ running process.

About the internet problem, could it be MalwareBytes IP protection causing some problems? That "feature" of Mbam really sucks as presently implemented, imo.

About the internet problem, could it be MalwareBytes IP protection causing some problems? That "feature" of Mbam really sucks as presently implemented, imo.

No, I have MBAM disabled real-time.

I am now officially on W7 ! It feels really great, mega fast :P Although I can't seem to browse your frontpage very well. I hope it's not my side of problem.

LeetPirate, didn't see your warning soon enough :( I went with the AIO. Hopefully if problems occure, it would be solvable.

But seriously, are you having frontpage problems? I can't access nsanedown.com

No, I have MBAM disabled real-time.

I am now officially on W7 ! It feels really great, mega fast :P Although I can't seem to browse your frontpage very well. I hope it's not my side of problem.

LeetPirate, didn't see your warning soon enough :( I went with the AIO. Hopefully if problems occure, it would be solvable.

But seriously, are you having frontpage problems? I can't access nsanedown.com

Using IE8 or Firefox!

Use another browser to try again!

It could also be the plugins.

I hope you pull through this illness you have! :o :o

That's just plain rude!

He was just making a joke, no harm intended.

@manpe

The frontpage is NOT down, it's fully operational :)

That's just plain rude!

He was just making a joke, no harm intended.

@manpe

The frontpage is NOT down, it's fully operational :)

Somewhy I couldn't access it after installin W7, but now I can... thank god :P This short period told me how important nsane was.

That's just plain rude!

Yeah I was just kidding as shought mentioned. Some people will stick with XP for many years, like some still use Windows 2000. I can't understand it, but then maybe that phrase comes to mind "it's not you it's me!" :rolleyes:

• Administrator

@Lohengrin: I know what are you thoughts about Windows 7 but there would be a time when most of the windows world would use it, and some way or the other you may be forced to use it. It is better to stay ahead of people and masterin it rather waitin people force you to use it. It is just my opinion.

It took me like 3 hours to get used to W7 and every minute of it was a pleasure.

Archived