Room turned into wireless charging station

straycat19

Will our phones be perpetually fully-charged in the future?

Disney Research has successfully turned an entire room into a wireless charging station -- and the invention could be a total game-changer for the digitally-obsessed.

The study tested a method called Quasistatic Cavity Resonance, which induces electrical currents in an enclosed metallic structure. The power is generated and amplified outside the room, which is picked up by a coil receiver inside the room and transmitted to discrete capacitors within a copper pole. The induced currents flow through the pole, ceiling, walls and floor, generating an electromagnetic field.

POSTER NOTE:  It hasn't been that many years ago that doctors were warning us about the connection between brain tumors and cell phone use.  There were also cases of physical problems in people who lived near high tension power lines.  So might this be a case of getting your brain fried while you get your phone charged?

Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that is close to my profession and I would like to explain shorty. It is assumed that there are two type of radiations: Ionizing and and non-ionising electro magnetic waves. Cell phones considered not risky because it only emits non-ionizing waves.
So we should check the magnetic wave type first.

Sounds risky, I'd prefer a fast charger and no radiation sent to my body. Most people change their cell phone 2-3 years, the batteries should last this long without degrading too much.

Weird! Sounds anything, but practical! I believe that something like the samsung wireless charger pad for galaxy s6 is a much more rational solution, without the need of converting your home literally a family sized charger, ionized or not.

Another much better solution might be a  solar-charger for phones or for laptops Looks there are already several models around.

Guess it's a question of reducing the energy demand of phones and laptops while improving the efficiency of these solar chargers, to get a solution similar to calculators charged by light, widely available since years ago.

Why these kind of solutions are not developed? Maybe there is some commercial interst to keep selling lithium powered batteries?

2 hours ago, luisam said:

Guess it's a question of reducing the energy demand of phones and laptops while improving the efficiency of these solar chargers, to get a solution similar to calculators charged by light, widely available since years ago.

There are solar chargers you can get that will connect to the phone or laptop.  They are foldable, come in different sizes and can be placed at an appropriate location to receive light.  I even have an external battery device that has solar cells on one side so it is always recharging just laying in the console of my car.  I always have a fresh spare battery pack if I need it without having to connect it to a source to charge it.  For solar chargers to be built in  to cellphones and laptops doesn't make much sense since the device would have to be exposed to the sun to charge and solar chargers are trickle chargers which means they would have to be exposed for a long period of time.  There is also the issue of leaving the device in the sun for a long period of time which would destroy it.  Just check 'solar power portable charger' on Amazon and there is all kinds and sizes.

3 hours ago, straycat19 said:

For solar chargers to be built in  to cellphones and laptops doesn't make much sense

So, I guess you missed the meaning of my comment or at least, you gave no further consideration to it:

5 hours ago, luisam said:

Guess it's a question of reducing the energy demand of phones and laptops while improving the efficiency of these solar chargers

So, while I agree that under current technology´solar chargers for laptops or cellphones are not feasible, I would expect that it might be possible develop the necessary technology to charge and operate portable devices just under normal daylight, without even the need to expose them directly to sun.

Archived