Windows 10 to permit block on apps installing if they're not from Microsoft Store

steven36

Microsoft is testing a new feature that offers the option of preventing non-Windows 10 Store apps being installed.

original-1becb1d380ff2c2939a3323def16e49

Microsoft's soon-to-be-released Windows 10 Creators Update will include a new option to only permit apps to install if they're from the Windows Store.

The latest preview of Windows 10 gives users the option to prevent classic Win32 apps, which aren't available in the Windows 10 Store, from installing on a device. This measure could provide a significant defense against bloatware and malware both for consumers and the enterprise.

The new restriction was first spotted by programmer Viktor Mikaelson, and reported by MSPoweruser. It will arrive in the Creators Update, expected in April.

The feature offers Windows 10 users something similar to Apple's macOS Gatekeeper, which warns users when they attempt to install an app from outside the Mac App Store. It's also similar to Google's Android setting to only allow apps to install from Google Play.

In Apps & features settings, users will be able to control where apps can be installed from by choosing between 'Allow apps from anywhere', 'Prefer apps from the Store, but allow from anywhere', or a strict 'Allow apps from the Store only'.

If installs are limited to the store, a dialog box will state: 'You can only install apps from the Windows Store. Limiting installations to apps from the Store helps to keep your PC safe and reliable'.

The more relaxed 'Prefer apps for the Store' option will also display a dialog box warning users if they install an app from outside the Store but will allow them to proceed anyway.

This feature could be a helpful way for enterprise admins to protect users from installing malware on corporate devices. As Bleeping Computer notes, since the strict setting only prevents installation of Win32 apps, sysadmins could still install approved Win32 apps and then apply the filter.

It could also offer developers of Win32 apps a greater incentive to update their apps to the Universal Windows Platform, or UWP, Microsoft's framework for apps to run on all Windows 10 devices, including PCs, Xbox One, HoloLens, and phones.

While Windows 10 still does support Win32 apps, Microsoft only allows UWP apps to be distributed through the Microsoft Store. Microsoft last year released its Desktop Converter tool to help convert some of the 16 million Win32 and .NET apps to UWP, so that they can join the Windows Store.

In its latest appeal for developers to use UWP, Microsoft execs said it was the best way to reach its 400 million Windows 10 users.

By Liam Tung @ ZDNet

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-to-permit-block-on-apps-installing-if-theyre-not-from-microsoft-store/

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also:

"Upcoming Windows 10 Feature Will Block Installation of Win32 Apps":

Starting with Windows 10 build number 15042, Microsoft will allow administrators to block the installation of Win32 applications on their computer.

Here  >

What's scary is that "Allow apps from anywhere" is the default.

Somehow, allowing Windows 10 users to stray outside the Microsoft ecosystem is just not the Microsoft way. Perhaps desperate times leads to desperate measures?

Some more from Paul Thurrott... New Windows 10 Feature Blocks Desktop Apps (Thurrott.com)

And from Woody... Win10 Creators Update will let you block apps from outside the Store (AskWoody.com)

53 minutes ago, Karlston said:

What's scary is that "Allow apps from anywhere" is the default.

A setting  i can change is never scary too me because i change it  ,There is many setting in windows 10 already  that if you want  too change them you have to  do in the registry or with a firewall or both. 

Whats scary is like them removing the ability too turn installing win 32 apps on at all . I always have expected this too happen once they get the masses over on windows 10 when they get a billion users . If you would of told people a few years ago that Microsoft was going too make windows were you cant turn windows updates off they would thought you was nuts . Now days you cant trust no company  not to remove useful stuff  in the name of security. And Microsoft done proved  that you cant put nothing past them.  This something they can abuse in the future  is all. Whats next are we going too have too put our password or fingerprint  in too install anything like Linux is?

Next thing you know it will be like android were we will need a exploit just too get root in windows to install stuff they dont want us too ..No one is yet to crack anything in windows store and if i want  too use just  free apps Linux has plenty  without ads and stuff already, +1  I dont have to sign in no were to download them like Microsoft store apps is done.  :P

2 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

that is not a new feature, is even available since build 10240 and is inside Developer options.

I see it in mine  you're right its already there but they never forced it on everyone by default so wtf is every site posing about it for?

32 minutes ago, SPECTRUM said:

that is not a new feature, is even available since build 10240 and is inside Developer options.

what you're talking dont have nothing too do with win 32 apps  i tested it  win 32 apps install fine with it switched it on it only has to do with being able to install apps  in the modern part of windows 10  side loading apps  so you dont know what you're talking about..

Windows 10 Allows You To Sideload Universal Apps, Just Like Android Does (This what you're talking about its old news)

https://www.howtogeek.com/219651/windows-10-allows-you-to-sideload-universal-apps-just-like-android-does/

The new feature  in the preview  blocks windows 32 programs installing  . (This is what the OP is talking about it's new news)

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/27/windows-10-creators-update-block-win32-program-installation/

On 2/27/2017 at 1:11 PM, steven36 said:

A setting  i can change is never scary too me because i change it  ,There is many setting in windows 10 already  that if you want  too change them you have to  do in the registry or with a firewall or both. 

That may be good for you but it isn't good for the million other users who know absolutely nothing about tweaking windows.  Like Android the default should be app store only and if they want outside apps they run into the wall and have to search on how to change it to install them.  Just like a lot of people had to do with Android.

The fact they are blocking the installation of Win32 apps is ridiculous.  Seriously, they should change the name from Windows 10 to Dictator 10.  It reminds me of the early hackers who use to post phrases like "All your machines belong to us" or "All your data belong to us".  Next thing they will do is hook an IV up to your computer and you have to give blood while using the computer or it shuts down.  The government may not be able to get blood out of you, but Microsoft can.

11 hours ago, straycat19 said:

That may be good for you but it isn't good for the million other users who know absolutely nothing about tweaking windows.  

Im not out to save the world I'm only out too save me   A hero is nothing but a sandwich , Its not my fault 80% of windows users are noobs so why are you telling me ? Why do  you haters come on here and tell the few of us who read news articles  you're dislike for Microsoft ? There's nothing we can do about what they do ..

Microsoft has a feedback hub why dont  you tell them ? Because you know you're powerless over what they do so you take it out on people who dont work for Microsoft . Only thing i can do is tell you too stop you're bellyaching because it only adds to the problem and switch  to Mac or Linux if you hate Microsoft .Staying on Windows and crying about it shows you're just full of hot air that cant change nothing. It's crazy to hate the company and every little thing they do if  you plain to stay on Windows .

.If I hated Microsoft like some of you act like you do,  I would just wipe windows and stay on Linux  and stop obsessing over what Microsoft does and do something constrictive like working on Linux projects. Really it dont matter too me what Microsoft does  I only use Windows because I can I have Linux as well on my PCs i dont have too use windows if I dont want too.

At work you may have to use Windows because you're boss makes you, but the millions of people at home use Windows because they want too  its there choice they made there bed so they can lay in it . If they dont like it they can switch to something else.  Millions of people use Google Chrome , Android  and Gmail and I dont  you dont have to be a people pleaser and do what the masses do  its you're choice.

I use Windows 10 because it was a free upgrade  you can stay on Windows 7 but still you can never relive the past and make Windows 7 new again . If windows 7 makes you happy it makes me happy that  you're happy, but act like it . I doubt the millions of people using Windows 10 would switch back too a old OS Microsoft dont sell no more there more likely to  buy a MAC  or switch to Linux than going backward.

To me taking up for people not wanting to learn basic computer skills is lane ..Knowledge  is free I did not learn what I know about computers from some school i learned it from reading and from people sharing on forums and trial and error . If they want too keep using Win 32 programs I guess they will have stop being lazy and read or pay some Tech to fix it for them lol.

Archived