Hacker Shows How Easy It Is To Hack People While Walking Around in Public

tao

Wi-Fi enabled devices — widely known as the Internet of Things (IoT) — are populating offices and homes in greater and greater numbers.

From smartphones to connected printers and even coffee makers, most of these IoT devices have good intentions and can connect to your company's network without a problem.

However, as the Internet of Things (IoT) devices are growing at a great pace, they continue to widen the attack surface at the same time, giving attackers a large number of entry points to affect you some or the other way.

The attackers can use your smart devices to gain backdoor entry to your network, giving them the capability to steal sensitive data, such as your personal information, along with a multitude of other malicious acts.

An interesting attack scenario has recently been demonstrated by one of the renowned hackers, Jayson Street, who said all it is needed is to walk around with the right device to get into someone's device.

Before we jump into the technical details of the attack, let's watch out a video showing that how easy it is to hack smartphones and laptops in a crowded place by setting up an EvilAP (malicious access point).

Here's How the Attack Works:

Please read the rest of the article < here >.

• Replies 1
  • Views 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must be getting hard up for news to print since this information and technique is years old.  What is new is the device I have that I don't have to setup as an EvilAP. My device requires no setup, just turn it on.  Devices that have WiFi and bluetooth turned on will try to connect with APs and devices that they connected with in the past.  My device just sees these requests and says 'here I am', whatever SSID they are looking for, or whichever bluetooth device they want to connect to, and then records all the data they pass, such as login and password information or any connections such as email logins, network logins, dropbox, etc.  The device has its own battery, appears to be a cellphone in a belt case and has slots for memory cards that it uses to store the captured data on.  It has the capability of being an EvilAP because it can be anything I program it to be, but that gets old quick, it is much more fun to let it 'roam' and see what it comes up with, which has been amazing.  

Archived