AMD Ryzen CPUs to support Windows 7 with drivers

Israeli_Eagle

Israeli_Eagle

The lads at Computerbase noticed that AMD is hard at work with Ryzen drivers, Windows 7 is also getting fully supported opposed to what Intel is doing (Kaby lake only has full support starting at Windows 8.1).

AMD will make Ryzen fully compatible with Windows 7, which is still supported by Microsoft for another three years. The info was shared by AMD at an partner event. Basically this opens up all processor instruction sets for Window 7, as long as they are compatible with the OS of course similar to what Kaby Lake had with HEVC / 10-bit encoding driver support. Microsoft is not supporting Intel’s latest Kaby Lake range of CPUs on any OS below Windows 10, kind of weird right? We're not sure how that will detail itself in realtion to Ryzen as Microsoft clearly stated not to support new processors on older operating systems. 

So there you have it, if you do not have the stomach upgrading to Windows 10. AMD have reportedly announced they will be providing drivers for Windows 7, the favourite OS of many.

Source

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a few years  AMD kills support for many popular graphics cards again  no thanks i keep what i have tell tell i buy a new pc ..my Radeon HD 6000 Series supports Windows 7 -Windows 10  but ive not even been able too get any graphic driver updates from AmD  since  before windows 10 came out and this pc came with windows 8 and it work just fine for what i do with legacy drivers . :P

On the other hand, AMD announced a few months ago that they would be discontinuing support for several graphics cards...

"AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series (HD 8400 and below), Radeon HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon HD 6000 Series, and Radeon HD 5000 Series Graphics products have reached peak performance optimization as of November 24th, 2015. These products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned. This change enables us to dedicate valuable engineering resources to developing new features and enhancements for graphics products based on the GCN Architecture", says Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."

It looks like the Radeon HD 8000's came out in 2013, so that suggests that you may have less than 3 years of driver support from AMD.

At lest with Nvidia you  get 5 years support ,

Israeli_Eagle
9 minutes ago, steven36 said:

In a few years  AMD kills support for many popular graphics cards again  no thanks i keep what i have tell tell i buy a new pc ..my Radeon HD 6000 Series supports Windows 7 -Windows 10  but ive not even been able too get any graphic driver updates from AmD  since  before windows 10 came out and this pc came with windows 8 and it work just fine for what i do with legacy drivers . :P

This is nothing about graphics cards, that's a CPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for graphics I only use strong Nvidia GTX cards.

9 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

This is nothing about graphics cards, that's a CPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for graphics I only use strong Nvidia GTX cards.

My  whole PC  is AMD  Graphics  and CPU  and I would never buy another one  as long as I live!!!  I just bought A new Dell Intel witch I hardly ever use and I'm going run this AMD  tell it blows up  then I will run my Dell tell it blows up and I will buy a new PC.

The next Graphics there going sell is Vega Graphics Card  they go hand and hand and they will make new  PCS  with both witch I wont be buying this time.

AMD Confirms Ryzen Processor And Vega Graphics Card Release Dates

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/02/01/amd-confirms-ryzen-processor-and-vega-graphics-card-release-dates/#2c916eeb552b

Israeli_Eagle
5 minutes ago, steven36 said:

My  whole PC  is AMD  Graphics  and CPU  and I would never buy another one  as long as I live!!!  I just bought A new Dell Intel witch I hardly ever use and I'm going run this AMD  tell it blows up  then I will run my Dell tell it blows up and I will buy a new PC.

I prefer to design & create my PCs myself. :coolwink:

11 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

I prefer to design & create my PCs myself. :coolwink:

Well  i prefer to use what i have and not worry about  it  for 10 years windows  updates last 10 so driver updates should lol. My Intel that came with 8.1 dont have all these problems my AMD has it works fine for it even has drivers from Dell for Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18x works great on it . My AMD Linux Mint 18 dont work at all on it and I have get My Windows 10 AMD Drivers  from Microsoft  .

Israeli_Eagle
4 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Well  i prefer to use what i have and not worry about  it  for 10 years windows  updates last 10 so driver updates should lol.

10 years are a bit toooooo long, then you have already a museum. ;)

For me usually motherboard & CPU are max 5 years, upgrading graphics card usually 1-2 years.

10 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

10 years are a bit toooooo long, then you have already a museum. ;)

For me usually motherboard & CPU are max 5 years, upgrading graphics card usually 1-2 years.

I  still have a XP rig setting here from 2004  and I have a Rig that came with Vista  that I upgraded to windows 7 witch i rolled back from  windows 10 and it still like new lol. PCs dont cost 1200 dollars for a small processor any more like in 2001. if they blow up i just use them for  parts and get a new one.

Israeli_Eagle
14 minutes ago, steven36 said:

I  still have a XP rig setting here from 2004  and I have a Rig that came with Vista  that I upgraded to windows 7 witch i rolled back from  windows 10 and it still like new lol.

Cool... But I not have place for too many rigs. And maybe FX CPU is the right time to upgrade soon.

But the case is for sure perfect for 10+ years, it's a Fractal Design Define R5. ^_^

1 minute ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Cool... But I not have place for too many rigs. And maybe FX CPU is the right time to upgrade soon.

maybe so  I'm  trying to put off buying another one tell  they get good Hevc support , I;m  a PS4 gamer  I dont game  on PC  much ,

Israeli_Eagle
18 minutes ago, steven36 said:

maybe so  I'm  trying to put off buying another one tell  they get good Hevc support , I;m  a PS4 gamer  I dont game  on PC  much ,

I also not have often time to play... But if so, then I prefer PC graphics. :coolwink:

11 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

I also not have often time to play... But if so, then I prefer PC graphics. :coolwink:

Still  I dont  get why you want to upgrade unless you're processor is old as dirt or you plain too use Windows 10..If you use windows 7 really you want reap  any real benefit from it from  using a newer processor .

While AMD’s move to embrace Microsoft’s older, (but still popular), operating system helps set the company’s upcoming processors apart from Intel’s latest chip, that doesn’t necessarily mean AMD Zen-based processors will work as well with Windows 7 as they do with Windows 10.

As ComputerBase notes AMD is working on Zen drivers for Windows 7, but Microsoft isn’t officially updating the operating system to take full advantage of the processor’s capabilities, which means that some features such as hardware-accelerated video or graphics may not be fully supported.

Microsoft stopped offering mainstream support for Windows 7 in early 2015, but plans to continue offering extended support through the beginning of 2020.

AMD’s first Zen chips are expected to be desktop-class processors sold under the Ryzen brand name, and they should hit the streets in early March.

https://liliputing.com/2017/02/amds-ryzen-chips-may-support-windows-7-unlike-intel-kaby-lake.html

Sounds like back when Windows 7 1st came out  and I decided  I wanted to buy a New XP PC because i  was a XP diehard  and latter regretted it when i decided  i wanted too switch to windows 7 . AMD is just doing this too cash in on the haters witch most will  regret in a few years . Reality is AMD hands are tied and there processors wont work as good in Windows 7 as they will in Windows 10. You cant turn old tech into new tech.

Israeli_Eagle
23 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Sounds like back when Windows 7 1st came out  and I decided  I wanted to buy a New XP PC because i  was a XP diehard  and latter regretted it when i decided  i wanted too switch to windows 7 . AMD is just doing this too cash in on the haters witch most will  regret in a few years . Reality is AMD hands are tied and there processors wont work as good in Windows 7 as they will in Windows 10. You cant turn old tech into new tech.

Again... I simply never buy any ready-made PC, so also for sure never with any forced OS. Only I myself decide every part and can change any I want. :coolwink:

3 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Again... I simply never buy any ready-made PC, so also for sure never with any forced OS. Only I myself decide every part and can change any I want. :coolwink:

If some features such as hardware-accelerated video or graphics may not be fully supported means like  it will never work for stuff like VR gaming , optimized HEVC and 4 K hardware-acceleration you will not be much better of than i am using legacy drivers  expect you will be able too get driver updates for the latest Games for DX 11 tell they all decide too jump ship too DX 12  or   the Vulkan (API)  witch one or the other will be the next monopoly to profit  from gaming. There is no future in DX 11  there all trying to  figure out how to ween everyone off of it to make money off a new tech.

Israeli_Eagle
9 minutes ago, steven36 said:

If some features such as hardware-accelerated video or graphics may not be fully supported means like  it will never work for stuff like VR gaming , optimized HEVC and 4 K hardware-acceleration you will be much better of than i am using legacy drivers  expect you will be able too driver updates for the latest Games for DX 11 tell they all decide too jump ship too DX 12  or   the Vulkan (API)  witch one or the other will be the next monopoly to profit  from gaming. There is no future in DX 11  there all trying figure out how to ween everyone off of it to make money off a new tech.

DX 12 is more dead at moment, coz only slower as DX 11 and Vulkan works much better. And VR games... Mostly only trash so far.

Same as Hollywood movies since some years, only crazy about 3D and effects but zero story & brain anymore. YUK!

1 minute ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

DX 12 is more dead at moment, coz only slower as DX 11 and Vulkan works much better. And VR games... Mostly only trash so far.

DX 12 is not dead  in the sense of gamers that have  it.  Most users at Steam use Windows 10 with DX 12 , Even a lot of Linux users dual boot Windows 10 for the sole use of gaming . DX 12 is dead in the sense of  the amount of games it supports because Steam  is in cahoots  with AMD  and they want to be the next big monopoly in gaming  with the  Vulkan (API) its all about power and money but as far as the serious gamer they bought in too the DX 12 hype hook. line and sinker  . :)

PC Gamers  that are computer geeks  with money buy the newest hardware  for the sole purpose of testing  , They are a small minority they hang around on sites like phoronix the stuff they talk about is very interesting  It must be nice to afford  every new thing that hits the market for gaming even in OS is not fully supported in yet .

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

But the masses  that game even my friend who builds PCs  they build there PCs too last some years tell they buy another upgrade ..Money dont grow on trees and computers haven't sold good in years it started going down hill in 2011  and most news for software and hardware is just averts  to make a vendor  money be it   M$., AMD , Intel , Apple. Google  etc. Reality Gamers is  a really small number of PC users . Last quarter M$ reported loss in selling PC games  but they done really good with console games ...  There less people on desktop than ever  many people use smartphones to  acess the internet , Smart TVs to stream videos and consoles to Game  people are tired of being tied down to Desktop PCs .  

AMD’s Ryzen Processors to Support Windows 7

amd-s-ryzen-processors-to-support-window

The firm will release drivers for the 2009 Windows version

Unlike Intel’s Kaby Lake processors, which work exclusively on Windows 10, AMD’s upcoming Ryzen series will also support Windows 7 thanks to drivers dedicated to this old operating system.

While this decision is not yet confirmed, HotHardware reports that AMD revealed in an information session that it intends to develop Windows 7 drivers for the Ryzen lineup of processors and make them compatible with the operating system launched in 2009.

Microsoft itself used this as a method to convince users to upgrade to Windows 10, saying on several occasions that new processors would exclusively work on this OS version. This is one of the reasons Intel sticks with Windows 10 for its Kaby Lake chips, as neither Microsoft nor Intel provides drivers for any other Windows version.

In the case of AMD, however, the firm wants to work on Windows 7 drivers on its own, so even though Microsoft itself doesn’t wish to make the Ryzen magic happen on any other Windows version besides 10, there’s a good chance that this would actually come true.

Windows 7, the king

On the other hand, it’s important to mention that aside from generic drivers, Microsoft doesn’t specifically develop drivers, but only give them the certification for a specific OS version, so it’ll be interesting to learn how the software giant sees AMD’s intention to invest in Windows 7 at a time when Windows 10 is the only focus.

And yet, the decision to develop Windows 7 drivers is not at all surprising, especially because this version of the operating system continues powering a hefty part of the world’s PCs.

Depending on the analyst firm, Windows 7 powers between 35 to 48 percent of the world’s PCs, and although it’s indeed losing ground, there’s no doubt that it’ll remain at the top of the charts for a little longer.

Windows 7 reaches end of support in January 2020, and by that time, Microsoft expects most of the users to already be running Windows 10 and thus help the firm avoid another Windows XP moment when people simply refuse to upgrade.

Source

Archived