Set expiry date to pdf files

Archimede

I am looking for an application to easily set an expiry date to a pdf file that I need to share with others but that I want to render useless after a determined period of time has elapsed.

I heard of A-PDF Password Security (http://www.a-pdf.com/security/password.htm) but the trial version has that feature disabled/crippled so I don't know whether that's an effective solution.

Any suggestion, or a medicine for the above utility (or another one that does what I need) would be most welcome :D

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A-PDF Password Security 3.4.3 + Key

Site: https://www.upload.ee
Sharecode[?]: /files/6617928/A-PDF_Password_Security_3.4.3.rar.html

Spoiler

ZmMeSBV.png

A-PDF Password Security Service 3.3.0 + Key

Site: https://www.upload.ee
Sharecode[?]: /files/6617885/A-PDF_Password_Security_Service_3.3.0.rar.html

Spoiler

soGOdy2.png

Good luck ! ;)

:eekout:

TS Wouldn't  your end-users resort to ways around your expiration.....

Eg. Disable passwords and Print to a non-Expiring PDFs or MS Word 

Hola teodz1984

Actually I noticed that bypassing the expiry it's as simple as changing the system date to a date/time prior to the expiry and the file opens normally :(

However, as for most securities/restrictions measures, this might prevent the average computer user from opening the "secured/expired" pdf file.

This is apparently achieved by adding to the pdf file a simple java script and such scripts can be added... And also removed ;)

If anyone knows a more "solid" way to enforce the expiry date, I am very eager to read any suggestion.

Meanwhile, I confirm that both programs provided by Recruit (thanks mate) work fine with the given keys.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:38 PM, Archimede said:

However, as for most securities/restrictions measures, this might prevent the average computer user from opening the "secured/expired" pdf file.

Some of the dumbest users I have ever seen are the ones that have managed to get around some restrictions, like trial dates and expiration dates.  Changing the computer date just seems to be something that 'dumb' users think of first.  I never questioned them about their thinking but it must be logic, "the software worked yesterday but not today, so if I turn the computer clock back to yesterday it will work" and so it does.

5 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Some of the dumbest users I have ever seen are the ones that have managed to get around some restrictions, like trial dates and expiration dates.  Changing the computer date just seems to be something that 'dumb' users think of first.  I never questioned them about their thinking but it must be logic, "the software worked yesterday but not today, so if I turn the computer clock back to yesterday it will work" and so it does.

Amen to that :D

BTW, any idea whether there is an application to set an expiry date also to PowerPoint files?

To either expire or self-destruct ;)

Thanks

Thanks for the tip Dukun Cabul :D

However I am looking for something different.

I need to set an expiry date to a PowerPoint file that I need to share with others and I want that file to open and be viewed normally.

After a determined period of time has elapsed, I want that file to expire so that it can no longer be opened/viewed/used.

Quick Crypt can set the encrypted document to expire (it can no longer be decrypted) after a few days only if it has not been decrypted within the time range when it was still possible to open it.

BTW, to run Quick Crypt, NET Framework v.4.5 (or higher) is required to be installed on the system.

Any other suggestion would be highly appreciated.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

You can even bundle the protected PDF (e.g. A-PDF) above with a portable viewer (e.g. Sumatra) and then use Turbo Studio to wrap around all those files. Turbo has plenty of options under "Expiration" that fits your requirements--even time validation, online check, etc. So that is two layers of protections.

Turbo Studio: https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/370861-turbo-studio-2041334/?tab=comments#comment-1577114

Archived