which laptop to buy?

karachidude

hey peeps, long time no see,

i would like help selecting a new laptop, i was wondering which company is usually more durable in its makes, i have a few laptops in mind and my budget is around 500$. i wont be using it for gaming or anything too intensive but still want it be sufficient enough to aid me in the years to come as new software become more processor and memory hungry, these days even Samsung Kies hangs my old dual core 4GB DDR2 computer.

I also want to ask if DDR3 is OK or should i buy one with DDR4 and is the 5th or 6th GENERATION OK or should i go for the 7th GENERATION, does it make a big difference.Some i can buy here in Pakistan are as following.

Dell Vostro 15 (3559) Notebook

• Intel® Core™ i5-6200U
• 4GB Memory
• 500GB Hard Drive
• Windows 10 
• 15.6” Anti Glare HD Display 720p

Lenovo Ideapad 110 (15") Laptop

• Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor 
• 4GB DDR3
• 500GB Hard Drive
• AMD Radeon R5 M430 (2GB GDDR3)
• Windows 10 Home
• 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) TN

Dell Inspiron 5559 Touch-Screen Laptop - Silver

• Intel Core i5-6200U Processor
• 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz
• 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• 15.6” LED FHD Touch Display (1920x1080)
• Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
• Backlit Keyboard

In the link bellow is the list of all the options i have between 40000 to 50000RS(400$-500$)

http://www.czone.com.pk/laptops-new-pakistan-ppt.74.aspx#Results

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

special shout out to leetpirate!

• Replies 27
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have great experience of ASUS laptops, but maybe they are out of your budget

how about this one, its in my price range

ASUS X. Series X555UA Notebook

• 4GB DDR3L 1600 MHz SDRAM
• 15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) Display
• Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 520
• 500GB HDD 5400 RPM 
• Free Bag / Black Color

or if HP is any good

HP Notebook 15-ac107tu (N8L25PA)

• 6th Generation 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5-6200U with Intel HD Graphics 520
• 4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
• 500 GB 5400 rpm SATA
• HP Local Warranty Card

but they dont have Windows 10 on them. There are a couple of other good options also but they aren't offering Win 10, one is offering Ubuntu the other is offering Free DOS 2.0..lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

how about this one, i can borrow a few to buy this if i have to 

HP Notebook - 15-AY169NR (Z4L79UA) - Touch Screen

• 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 7200U
• 4GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB)
• 500GB 5400 rpm SATA
• Windows 10 Home 64
• Intel® HD Graphics 620
• Turbo silver - Linear grooves pattern

50 minutes ago, karachidude said:

i would like help selecting a new laptop, i was wondering which company is usually more durable in its makes, i have a few laptops in mind and my budget is around 500$. i wont be using it for gaming or anything too intensive

Do not buy a company just a laptop

1. which suits you and...
  2. that fits with yours wallet-sized
  3. and also fits yours wife or sweethearts dress color (it is very important)

looks pretty good from here.one suggestion-replace HDD to SSD or add M-sata SSD (if possible) .

all above imo as usually.

3 hours ago, Kalju said:

and also fits yours wife or sweethearts dress color (it is very important)

brilliant advice from guru ,karachidude u should follow for sure:D

Just stay away from the "U" series processor. Stick with "QM"

14 minutes ago, mclaren85 said:

Look at this. If you can afford, it is really a good machine to buy. I found it from your website

http://www.czone.com.pk/laptops-new-dell-laptops-dell-inspiron-15-7000-series-7559-laptop-non-touch-pakistan-p.4673.aspx

thanks mate but its almost double the budget i have, 98000 is around 1000$, but thanks for the input, what do you suggest is the better option inside 500-550$(50000-55000) range from the list because i cant afford to go up on the price.

36 minutes ago, mclaren85 said:

Just stay away from the "U" series processor. Stick with "QM"

5 hours ago, karachidude said:

i wont be using it for gaming or anything too intensive

what's wrong with this CPU?

If you want the most bang for your buck I suggest you to go the Dell Outlet Store and take a look.  I buy most of my commercial laptops thru the Dell Outlet Store because I have bought Latitude laptops that retail for $2100 for as little as $700 and also came with a 3 year warranty.  Most of what they offer are refurbished but who cares as long as they work.  I have never had one go bad though a friend that I recommended buy one from the outlet store did and it quit working after a month.  Dell sent a repairman with a new motherboard out to her house and repaired it.  She only spent $500 on that particular laptop computer that retailed for $1000 so she definitely has gotten her moneys worth.  Currently I have 19 Dell laptops, all i7, all refurbished and a couple of the ATG series that are i5 and refurbished and they all work fine.  I installed SSDs in the ones that came with HDDs and removed the DVD and added a second 2TB HHD and also upgraded the memory to 16GB on those that came with less.  Some of them also have dual video cards in them, both Nvidia and Intel.

17 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

If you want the most bang for your buck I suggest you to go the Dell Outlet Store and take a look.  I buy most of my commercial laptops thru the Dell Outlet Store because I have bought Latitude laptops that retail for $2100 for as little as $700 and also came with a 3 year warranty.  Most of what they offer are refurbished but who cares as long as they work.  I have never had one go bad though a friend that I recommended buy one from the outlet store did and it quit working after a month.  Dell sent a repairman with a new motherboard out to her house and repaired it.  She only spent $500 on that particular laptop computer that retailed for $1000 so she definitely has gotten her moneys worth.  Currently I have 19 Dell laptops, all i7, all refurbished and a couple of the ATG series that are i5 and refurbished and they all work fine.  I installed SSDs in the ones that came with HDDs and removed the DVD and added a second 2TB HHD and also upgraded the memory to 16GB on those that came with less.  Some of them also have dual video cards in them, both Nvidia and Intel.

Thanks mate, but we don't have dell or apple or hp stores of any kind here where i live in Pakistan not even show rooms, but that's great advice and your valuable experience is received. The only ones i can buy are listed on the web link i will list below, the laptops that dealers import come via dubai i guess because all these tech giants have official presence there, only Sony has an official presence here in karachi.

11 hours ago, karachidude said:

i would like help selecting a new laptop, i was wondering which company is usually more durable in its makes, i have a few laptops in mind and my budget is around 500$. i wont be using it for gaming or anything too intensive but still want it be sufficient enough to aid me in the years to come as new software become more processor and memory hungry, these days even Samsung Kies hangs my old dual core 4GB DDR2 computer.

I also want to ask if DDR3 is OK or should i buy one with DDR4 and is the 5th or 6th GENERATION OK or should i go for the 7th GENERATION, does it make a big difference.Some i can buy here in Pakistan are as following.

Dell Vostro 15 (3559) Notebook

• Intel® Core™ i5-6200U
• 4GB Memory
• 500GB Hard Drive
• Windows 10 
• 15.6” Anti Glare HD Display 720p

Lenovo Ideapad 110 (15") Laptop

• 4GB DDR3
• 500GB Hard Drive
• AMD Radeon R5 M430 (2GB GDDR3)
• Windows 10 Home
• 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) TN

• 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz
• 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Backlit Keyboard

In the link bellow is the list of all the options i have between 40000 to 50000RS(400$-500$)

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

special shout out to leetpirate!

Hey dude!

Long time no see!

Honestly- you are already OTT with either or any of these for the purposes you want to use.

I'd recommend getting the one, with best battery  and best screen for the $$ paid. as it comes to the brands and reliability (and support) avoid HP- gone downhill in later years, Else, I agree, ASUS and Lenovo uses near equal best components and configuration (for the $$$ paid)

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, Atasas said:

Hey dude!

Long time no see!

Honestly- you are already OTT with either or any of these for the purposes you want to use.

I'd recommend getting the one, with best battery  and best screen for the $$ paid. as it comes to the brands and reliability (and support) avoid HP- gone downhill in later years, Else, I agree, ASUS and Lenovo uses near equal best components and configuration (for the $$$ paid)

Cheers!

thanks for the input buddy i will keep this in mind, i have also been away from such internet activities for a while, good to see you back the same day i come for help! have a great day mate!

Proud Lenovo user here. Man the amount of tweaking and this machine is still standing... not to mention it runs everything without sticking. Taken the journey to college and back everyday and it is really durable.Even the most demanding games can be run. Would definitely recommend Lenovo.

Ya me too would recommend lenovo. Really works gr8.

Also offers ADP for one year just like dell.

just bought this 

• 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz
• 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Backlit Keyboard

thanks for the help all!

cheers

4 hours ago, karachidude said:

just bought this 

• 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz
• 1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
• Backlit Keyboard

thanks for the help all!

cheers

Will you keep win 10 and create separate partition for Win7 or just keep Win10 or...

Keep us posted, how you get on with it!

4 hours ago, karachidude said:

just bought this 

hope it won't disappoint u mate.let us know how it is after some time.

P.S. don't forget about SSD,it definitely worth (stock HDD sucks now days) :yes:

On 1/24/2017 at 10:38 PM, Atasas said:

Will you keep win 10 and create separate partition for Win7 or just keep Win10 or...

Keep us posted, how you get on with it!

hey mate, i will keep win 10 home edition which it came with, i bought this for my wife primarily and has installed adguard and kaspersky so that she can get on with her stuff without worrying. I will keep using my old trusty desktop for the time being e5400 dual core for the win ^_^...i will however holler when i am ready to upgrade my desktop!

On 1/24/2017 at 10:46 PM, gipsy said:

hope it won't disappoint u mate.let us know how it is after some time.

P.S. don't forget about SSD,it definitely worth (stock HDD sucks now days) :yes:

Your suggestion was spot on mate, i asked the shop guys and they said it was a hot selling item, i bought a 1 year warranty for 20$ to go with it, thanks for the input. When i upgrade my desktop i will definitely try to put an SSD, but this laptop is for my wife and she's quite happy with the response time for the time being.^_^

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2019 at 5:07 AM, usmansakoonsay said:

Gaming Ram This implies all projects must be gone through the RAM before they are usable.

I am lost. What did you mean to say here?

On 4/14/2019 at 12:13 AM, nsan3 said:

I am lost. What did you mean to say here?

I share your doubt about the meaning  of that post so I jumped to reference link

Gaming Ram ( https://sakoonsay.com/product-category/ram/  ); It's actually a page advertising the Kingston brand RAMs. I agree with usmansakoonsay that Kingston is a great name producing RAM but it's not the only one. Certainly, when selecting a computer, you should be aware about the type and size of your RAM, specially if you are a gamer where RAM speed might be a factor to really enjoy your device, but also my somewhat reduced experience with RAM is that the so called "generic" or not recognized brands complying the specifications of the computer are as trustworthy on long term as these great names. I have an Intel Pentium 4 1.59Ghz running two of the cheapest generic 1 Gb RAM I could get, bought about 17 - 18 years ago and it's 100% good! Also may I say, I've encountered people with any kind of computer issues but only once, years ago, had a problem with some crappy 64 Mb RAM in a prediluvian 286 or 386 (not sure) computer.

@karachidude Yo!

I am sorry to hear that you do not have official outlets in your country.

When selecting a laptop, I think the most important to decide first what you want to do with it - run analytics, play games or do office-shit.

Then the most important thing to understand is your budget and how you can squeeze that to an optimum point.

I'd suggest, given your budget - which is around $500 - is that buy refurbished and order it from AliBaba or somewhere though one with a warranty. Also, do try Dell, Lenovo and HP's official websites and try to chat with them on-site about the delivery of the laptop.

You might have to up your budget, but you will definitely get a good deal.

Lastly, coming to specs, if you want battery (go for U series intel processors with SSD - no matter if it is 156 because you can always buy an external drive for around $50 of 2TB) and if you want hardcore stuff then go for (HQ series) and always opt for DDR4 (L or normal - L consumes less power though they are a bit more expensive than the standard ones). Finally, squeeze your budget with a high-end processor (go for i5 with around 3.5ghz base-clock speed and around 6-8 mb cache).

I hope that you will have learnt a bit about what to choose of when buying a laptop and that you will find one that you could squeeze into your budget.

PS: I'd suggest if you follow my instructions and find one that fits your purpose and might even be $100 up then go for it. Also, don't worry about the money because if you work then you can always pay the extra amount through your credit card and pay back in installments.

Best,

Happy laptop hunting, bro!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived