Upgrading from XP

Demian

Want to upgrade a computer with Windoz XP to Win 7. As there is no direct upgrade path, the only way to do it without formatting is to use PC Mover or upgrade to Vista then upgrade again to Win 7.  Just wondering want the general consensus might be or if NE1 might have previously taken these paths and what their experiences were like.  The box is heavily customized so formatting & starting from scratch is really a last resort for me. TIA

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, upgrading should be the last... Headacheless...

Are all hardware and softwares Windows 7 compatible?! Be sure before anything else: verify drivers and etc...

A clean installation is always the best thing to do in cases like yours...

Just my opinion... Decision must be yours!!!

Install Linux Mint instead of Win 7. It will allow you to dual boot to Linux or XP. It's either that or save all of your customized options and install Win 7 fresh - That's what I'd do.

10 hours ago, Demian said:

Want to upgrade a computer with Windoz XP to Win 7. As there is no direct upgrade path, the only way to do it without formatting is to use PC Mover or upgrade to Vista then upgrade again to Win 7.  Just wondering want the general consensus might be or if NE1 might have previously taken these paths and what their experiences were like.  The box is heavily customized so formatting & starting from scratch is really a last resort for me. TIA

If You need help,give us at least this information:

1. what's the computer name, mark, release date etc
  2. motherboard and CPU, graphic card type etc, RAM
  3. by default was installed if you or somebody else bought
  4. HDD

Otherwise is not possible to give no correct information. 

Note: And even the Linux is not possible install into some old computer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 7:13 PM, Kalju said:

If You need help,give us at least this information:

1. what's the computer name, mark, release date etc
  2. motherboard and CPU, graphic card type etc, RAM
  3. by default was installed if you or somebody else bought
  4. HDD

Otherwise is not possible to give no correct information. 

Note: And even the Linux is not possible install into some old computer.

The box was purchased as a "bare bones" tower w/4 gig of RAM, AMD Phenom CPU & Radon 4800 graphics card.  I merely took my old HDD & stuck it in there, added drivers & was good to go. MB is Gigabyte.  I ran the MS compatability tool and it sez I can run Win 7.  There's a lot of custom software I really don't want/can re-install so was looking for a way to minimize the pain (can either format & lose or spend some time trying to do an upgrade =pain & frustration).  Surely there must have been another nerd like me that has to go the hard way :)  Just wanted to know how they fared and what to watch out for.

BTW, am also considering just leaving well enough alone.  Replaced my old NIC and tripled the transfer rate

Still, there is too little data to say something, but probably Windows 7 can be installed, however, you can experience a lot of problems. Hard to say.
It would be good to know exactly the processor data, AMD Phenom processors have been very different.
Everything depends, what You have. Is there one core or two or what is the technology etc.
So now I'm so dumb, that cannot say what it will do. Of course, You can try for example with Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, maybe works, don't know.
But even if it works, it may be so slow that you can only wait all time.
Moreover, there is a huge amount of problems for Windows 7 updates.
But try, then get to know.

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally bit the bullet & did the upgrade.  Thing to remember is it was a 64 bit processor running a 32-bit Win XP.   I used PCMover upgrade assistant and things went quite well.  In prep, I made sure to get 64 bit versions of all my drivers and to have them on hand. I upgraded to 64 it Win 7 Home and got it all done in a couple of hours. (Actually the longest portion was backing up the original installation.)

The only software I had to re-install were AV & firewall (have a partitioned drive so my files were never in any danger). Some Windows settings change & tweaking took maybe another hour, but now it runs like a champ.

The best approach is to perform a clean install of Windows 7 (after saving your personal files and data).  Enjoy. 

Archived