What is your take if Nokia makes Ubuntu Touch Devices in future?

vissha

What is your take if Nokia makes Ubuntu Touch Devices in future, Would you encourage/not?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is your take if Nokia makes Ubuntu Touch Devices in future, Would you encourage/not?

Hi All,

Just wondering if Nokia with Canonical makes Ubuntu Touch Devices, does people love it and buy to help support Ubuntu Touch development?

My wish is that Nokia should join hands with Canonical to make Ubuntu Devices. If that happens, all lazy s/w app giants will create apps supporting Ubuntu Touch platform.

I'm calling s/w app giants as lazy bcoz if they would've supported Ubuntu Touch earlier, the OS could've been overtaking Android & Windows Phones(or Windows 10 Mobile) by now.

All Nokia & Ubuntu/Linux fans(incl. myself) or devs out there, please suggest Nokia to create Ubuntu Devices in future ASAP.

Please vote and provide feedback in comments(if any).

Members please note that I'm referring to the future and not now. I'm not a fool to ask for/suggest a change in the first year of re-emerged Nokia.

@steven36 & @teodz1984: Please read the desc carefully before providing comments.

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not going be no improvement  in Ubuntu Phone tell snaps are ready  so other than security  updates it will have 0 improvements in 2017.

Canonical Clarifies Ubuntu Phone State: Nothing Really Until Snap-Based Image Ready

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Phone-Snap-Hold

maybe by 2020 they will be worth buying?  its to early to tell or will they just stagnate and do nothing like Windows phone did . For now if suffers from the same problem Linux Desktop has for 20 years lack of apps  also its reported too be slow . i would not buy a phone just because it had the Ubuntu  name no,  they would have too be really good . if i had lots of money too buy toys just to test that  i dont really need then it would be a different story

Nokia won't be popular if they had ubuntu for an OS... the lack of popular apps would be the reason why people won't use it

Probably safe for them to just join the android bandwagon

10 hours ago, vissha said:

Members please note that I'm referring to the future and not now. I'm not a fool to ask for/suggest a change in the first year of re-emerged Nokia.

@steven36 & @teodz1984: Please read the desc carefully before providing comments.

You make no sense at all  no one knows will they be worth buying in the future are if we will even still be living , siting around wishing for something to be good will not make it good ,  We dont even know if they are  going keep making phones still .. stuff like Ubuntu  TV and Firefox  phone O/S   are dead , Android and  iOS dominate smartphones  it's more likely that Microsoft will .witch has the money will break into the phone o/s business  and do good because they they have the money in the future before  Canonical ever does

. You're lucky Canonical even makes Ubuntu at all they lose money on it every year but are kind enough to keep making it and its great for Ubuntu desktop users because they are not even focusing on phones . There Desktop o/s has been riddled with bugs and the next LTS they say will be much better . Because there main focus is on desktop and servers . The only  place Ubuntu has been successful is in the server world , Linux Desktop is a niche thing and only Google has had success with Android Linux in the smartphone market.   if it ever becomes the latest fad i will let you know if i will buy one , but since you didn't put undecided  up there i just won't vote . because  i dont like to say i never would because i dont know !

All of them are trying for a universal  platform hybrid o/s and none has been able to master it yet   , Microsoft still dominates desktop , Google has over a billion on Android  phones , And Ubuntu has a tiny maketshare it shares with a bunch of other distros . By the time Ubuntu gets into the real race i will be dead and gone .  :)

On 1/9/2017 at 8:15 AM, teodz1984 said:

Nokia won't be popular if they had ubuntu for an OS... the lack of popular apps would be the reason why people won't use it

Probably safe for them to just join the android bandwagon

@teodz1984 said a valid point here even in the future. The lack of popular useful and entertaining/gaming apps is the main key factor to the success of this endeavor, but to have those apps you need developers to make them. Why beg for the attention of big giant apps maker? If individual/small/medium size developers will see that there is much more money to make in that Ubuntu platform then they will make apps for it. Microsoft did try to make their own version of mobile OS to compete with Android and it is called Windows Phone, and they failed a lot. hehehe! Even to the point they bought Nokia didn't make any much help to boost its promotion to the developers. Though, they already pissed so many developers before then on the desktop software market first so they lost the support of those talented guys to Apple and Android. What was left were those good at making trash metro apps. Bill gates saw this so he sold his share til it has still some value. This is how I see things: No matter who made the smartphone, hopefully not china made brands and Motorola (as there are many other phone manufacturer), when developer see that the platform, in this case Ubuntu, will not only compete on whatever Android can offer but also introduce a new innovation that may help them earn much more then some might show interest. I hope you will not get mad, as a software app developer, I don't see any point investing into a platform that just mimics Android (which happens to be Linux too) without any other clear advantage and benefit it can offer to me that Android did already. This will still be my point in the future.

I did try to make my own laptop brand too (I know we're talking about smartphone but it's related), but during the course of planning I tried to contradict myself like trying to criticize my own idea. So, I played the dreamer and the realistic guy here.

Dreamer: Ok, now I have a laptop of my own brand/logo.

Realist: Does it have better features that might interest me to buy than what the other manufacturers can offer? Better graphics option, wide range of SSD sizes, etc?

Dreamer: No
Realist: Is it cheaper?

Dreamer: It's just a basic regular laptop probably priced slightly higher than current market trend.

Realist: So what you got to offer? A brand/logo? Why would I buy into that? I'm not that stupid enough.

Dreamer: (Days passed) I got those features already. Talk to some manufacturer of SSD, graphics card, printers, etc. I may be able to offer it to you at a cheaper package.

Realist: (after inspecting the package options)  Well, you are only cheaper by just a few bucks. I'd rather go to the other tested manufacturers and I'll be saved from a lot of headaches.

Dreamer: (after months of despair and trying to think of something better) I have a better product to offer to you. I designed a laptop that is liquid cooled that is as thin as the current gaming laptop. This has a safety design concept that protects the electronics parts of the laptop and also it's so easy to attach/detach for maintenance. What's more is that due to this new safety design concept of liquid cooling, I'm able to shrink down the size of a desktop pc to the size of a gaming laptop.  It's easy to carry around and use it just like you use a laptop, as long as you can find a socket to plug it in. This is for extreme gamers who like to have the fastest desktop computer with the latest dedicated graphics card on them. This also has the same new safety design concepts as the laptop version.This is called desktops! (from desktop + laptops, note the s after desktop hehehe! It's a different name from just your old desktop computer, It sound similar but it's different. hehehe!)

Realist: Wow! That's what I'm trying to say! I'll buy one laptop with liquid cooling and the laptop-sized desktops! When can I expect my order to arrive?

Dreamer: In two years, since I have to setup the assembly line. Though the motherboard and the other peripherals come from a single vendor, there are parts that is also supplied by other vendors too. Now the liquid cooling design is still going to get manufactured as it is a new concept. blah, blah, blah...

Realist: In two years? Good luck! I cancelled my order! In two years, I already see myself using and developing for hololens and ditching my smartphone and laptop.

Dreamer: That is another product, I can't compete with that!

Realist: Yup! Just like the smartphone, it's a different product from the desktop pc and laptops but people use it for browsing, chatting, online gaming, editing stuff, printing stuff. In two years, smartphone might be obsolete.

Dreamer: Well, they can't compete pc gaming!

Realist: No, they can't. But how small is the pc gaming industry now as compared to the console gamers and mobile phone gamers? Unless you have a better idea that mimics something a product like in the Accel world anime where AR/VR/Submersive tech were all mixed up in one product. How many people will still buy laptops with that kind of feature for gaming? Most can be done by smartphones and tablets also like browsing, editing stuff, etc. Two years with a very limited funding? Goodluck! Unless you have a few million dollars.

Dreamer: I will try to crowdfund it!

Realist: Then what? How many you will sold before your fund runs out in order to continue doing business?

Dreamer: I never consider that yet! It's not really that easy to start your own product....

I may have a great idea but I got a small windows of opening to success, with very limited funding and never got the hardware skills to build stuff, market is thinning and it is almost out of time. I realized something here. I want to build my own brand of laptop to pride myself I have my own laptop company and not just because of my passion to have a very nice designed laptop. The passion that inspires me in that time was just jealousy to someone who owns a laptop business.

Note to self: When designing a product watch these videos first repeatedly. In the old days, manufacturers like to add features to their products in order to entice consumer to buy it. Now,, they remove features and the consumer likes it more and they buy it at a much higher price that you can think of.

Apple Engineer Talks About New 2016 Macbook Pro

Apple Engineer Talks About New 2017 Macbook Pro

Apple Engineer Talks about the Apple Watch

• 2 years later...

Archived