[Solved] [C.P.U. Fan] Heat problems.

LeeSmithG

Wrong rev.. i have the 4.0..  i have the latest beta bios FDc. dated 2012/12/13..

1. Beta BIOS
  2. Update CPU AGESA code

I dont know if there is a newer one.. I think everything was on AUTO not sure..

• Replies 76
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Israeli_Eagle
41 minutes ago, andy2004 said:

Wrong rev.. i have the 4.0..  i have the latest beta bios FDc. dated 2012/12/13..

1. Beta BIOS
  2. Update CPU AGESA code

I dont know if there is a newer one.. I think everything was on AUTO not sure..

Maybe version FB would be better for you and works for FX-6100, because the later versions have changed the 'clocking compatibility' (whatever that means) and in your CoreTemp was a bit weird.

Israeli_Eagle
34 minutes ago, andy2004 said:

motherboard originally came with FC which was 2011..

Well... But they did not know which CPU you will use. And officially FB is for FX-6100. So simply try whether you get the same weird result. Is also possible that only Beta is bad...

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/FX-Series/FX-6100_motherboards.html

P.S.: And did you check the Power Options which I wrote some time before?

No but the shop where i bought the motherboard bundle DID..

They buy the motherboard and processors separately and build them... test them... then box them up as complete units for you to take out the box. install into a pc case with 6 screws,  and add the power supply to. 

Its working fine.. and has been until the thermal paste ran out... which seems to had caused a short as the PSU overheated and blew.. or should i say replacing the thermal paste seemed to fix the PSU's from dying.

That was really weird... Christmas Eve.. 1:00-1:20 PSU dies... replaced with spare PSU and Christmas Day at 1:00 that one dies... bought a new 750watt when the shop opened, new thermal paste on cpu / heatsink.. new 80mm fan on the casing... and its been ok ever since. As stated 8days running.

Peoples.

This is my processor: A.M.D. Phenom II X4 840 (Propus)

This is my m.o.b.o.: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/ (Asus M5A78L-M + AMD Quad Core Phenom™II)

I decided to change the fan.

Previous fan was Intel and A.M.D.:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JEMX4Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New fan: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PLSDC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even with ninety three per-cent (93%) usage on processor, temperatures have not gone higher than, thirty four (34) degrees Celsius.

It's around thirty (30) degrees Celsius as I write this.

The moral is, buy a c.p.u. fan that is more specific for the processor.

Also this fan is near silent, out of sleep the other fan would come on and sounded like some metal being dragged backwards via the blades on a lawn mower.

The fan is now controlled via the m.o.b.o. I think the other only had three (3) pins, rather than four (4).

Addition: 24w56xv.jpg

My computer processor said a big thank you for sending him/her to Greenland!

B.T.W. the thirty four (34) degrees Celsius, is the first start up after installing fan.

On 1/4/2017 at 1:12 AM, LeeSmithG said:

All Celsius.

Makes me paranoid! :troll:

Core Temp -> Options -> Overheat Protection

Overheat protection 2.png

or

Overheat protection.png

The first picture or selecting Activate if TjMax is reached (5C below) is what I recommend.

If you prefer the second picture or selecting Activate at the specified temperature set it to a higher safe temp settings first like

example:

If TjMax is 105C then subtract it by 5C and you get 100C as the highest safe temp setting you should set, otherwise you are like selecting the first option above Activate if TjMax is reached (5C below)

If you believe that your overheating is severe or way too hot then try to subtract at least 10C from the highest temp setting which is in this example is 100C and you get 90C.

Select Shutdown option of your choice which I recommend the option Put system to sleep as a safer choice and set desired time to execute this protection Shut down after 10 seconds (10 seconds for those who worry their cpu might get fried of too much heat otherwise 30 seconds will do).

On 1/7/2017 at 3:51 AM, knowledge said:

For those suffering cpu overheating problem which may be caused by a lot of factors like

thermal paste, dust, ventilation, heat dissipation, case fan malfunctioning, weather temp way too hot or too humid

then @knowledge post of the 2nd youtube video is a great life saver especially to people who are not tech savy or does not like to tinker on tech stuff, or simply just don't have time to do those things yet.

This is one of those inevitable things that will happen and this must-know knowledge will come in handy. ;)

This could buy you at least a little time until you can have your laptop cleaned and applied a new thermal paste in a pc maintenance/repair store or until you find some time to do it yourself.

This is like a MacGyver thing where you fix things using duct tape or W40 but here you only need to change some settings without getting your hands dirty and make it a point that this is only as a temporary fix.

Knowledge like these will make you a hero to your wife, gf, siblings, friends or co-worker especially when they are on a deadline.

What this do is to limit the load your cpu can handle to a certain percentage so to control also its temp to not reach an overheat temperature due to too much work load. [Here is my layman analogy] This is like driving a car (your pc/laptop) in a desert (an environment where no one will help you out and the environment is way too hot and too humid) and your car engine is overheating. You ran out of water (thermal paste went dry) and you cannot somehow find a source to replace it. By slowing down (limiting load percentage) your car speed (cpu load) you also limit the temperature your car is emitting and therefore will not push your radiator to blow up steam (fried cpu!very bad for you as this makes your pc/laptop unusable!)

For those who hate youtube. here is a instruction on how to do it:

1. Right click on Battery icon and select Power Options

2 Set your power plan to either Balanced or Power Saver but never to High Performance.

3. Click Change plan settings besides your chosen power plan

4. Click Change advanced power settings

5. Under Processor power management -> Maximum processor state change it to like 90% or 85% or 80%. The lower the percentage the lower the cpu load will be and therefor the temp will be lower too but this slows the speed of your pc/laptop too. But better a slower pc/laptop than an unusable pc/laptop that constantly shutdown due to overheating.

Maximum Power State.png

edit: added layman's explanation on what this do.

1 minute ago, nIGHT said:

@WALLONN7 @Israeli_Eagle and @knowledge great job! You're post are very helpful, I learned something from your post. Thanks! :cheers:

I hope you guys help me out when I will plan on building my own desktop pc and overclock it.:wub:

You're good at hardware stuff. :notworthy:

Will be a pleasure!!! ;)

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, nIGHT said:

I hope you guys help me out when I will plan on building my own desktop pc and overclock it.:wub:

I had made my first one more than a few years ago when I was 16. That, in the premises of the family friend's friend's office / shop of the custom PC build maker / parts seller. The look on their face when they saw a 16 years kid making computer right from the start, assembling parts exactly as they should, was priceless. :P

The reason I'm mentioning this is that this is the same place I learned and got help to make it. I saw no videos for doing it - unlike what people do these days, it was all previous knowledge and guidance from here. I even had a thread for it posted here somewhere I think.

Point being, agreed, many can help you for it.

Thanks @DKT27

I also had had built a couple of desktop pc in my teenage years but old pc tech were too simple then and got fewer slots. (now too many slots hehehe), so I have a little knowledge but on the level of almost useless.

Nowadays, you need higher voltage psu (but got no idea how to compute it and not to strain my budget) due to a lot of stuff you can put in your pc like SLI/crossfire, liquid cool it and overclocked it.

Overclocking is a whole new area for me. Never tried it.

Liquid cooling may have some easy options but of course there is the cheapest way and I might learn from it by doing it myself too.

So I am not too naive and hard to help out but all my knowledge gets rusty/very limited and as I am suffering from CFS which I sometimes temporarily lose some of my memory (without knowing it) I will need all the help anybody can give me.

I will appreciate any kind of  advice you can give to me my friend. :wub:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nIGHT said:

Thanks @DKT27

I also had had built a couple of desktop pc in my teenage years but old pc tech were too simple then and got fewer slots. (now too many slots hehehe), so I have a little knowledge but on the level of almost useless.

Nowadays, you need higher voltage psu (but got no idea how to compute it and not to strain my budget) due to a lot of stuff you can put in your pc like SLI/crossfire, liquid cool it and overclocked it.

Overclocking is a whole new area for me. Never tried it.

Liquid cooling may have some easy options but of course there is the cheapest way and I might learn from it by doing it myself too.

So I am not too naive and hard to help out but all my knowledge gets rusty/very limited and as I am suffering from CFS which I sometimes temporarily lose some of my memory (without knowing it) I will need all the help anybody can give me.

I will appreciate any kind of  advice you can give to me my friend. :wub:

Good to hear that.

Modern PSUs are not too much to be concerned about. Just decide your build, understand the watt requirements of it and buy a Seasonic PSU of that watt. :P

Never tried OC myself either. All those things you have mentioned like dual graphics card, OC, liquid fan and such things are mostly for gamers, common users have no use for it. Also, have heard that you are better of using a single, more powerful graphics card rather than two of them.

I see. I am sure everyone of us will try to help you there.

I suggest you wait for new AMD processors being doing so though.

Can anybody plz tell me

is my pc running well

I know its not my thread just posting to check if its ok or not

My processor is dual core 3.0 ghz, 4gb ram, gigabyte ga-g41mts2 (rev. 2.1) motherboard

any help would be appreciable

pc.jpg

3 hours ago, ashish1989 said:

Can anybody plz tell me

is my pc running well

My processor is dual core 3.0 ghz, 4gb ram, gigabyte ga-g41mts2 (rev. 2.1) motherboard

pc.jpg

Judging from the little information you shared, I would say that everything is fine.
Why do not you tell us what sparked your interest in making sure something is not wrong?!

Israeli_Eagle
3 hours ago, ashish1989 said:

Can anybody plz tell me

is my pc running well

pc.jpg

Everything seems to be ok! :doctor:

It's normal of E Pentiums to clock down when mostly idle in order to save electricity. Tho you also can via BIOS and Windows power settings to prevent it.

Just now, WALLONN7 said:

Judging from the little information you shared, I would say that everything is fine.
Why do not you tell us what sparked your interest in making sure something is not wrong?!

Just now, Israeli_Eagle said:

Everything seems to be ok! :doctor:

It's normal of E Pentiums to clock down when mostly idle in order to save electricity. Tho you also can via BIOS and Windows power settings to prevent it.

Guys I have updated my motherboard with latest bios

Just purchased a new hitachi 500gb hdd

My pc works f9 in winter, but in summer it starts to hang randomly. Even with chrome I feel jerk sometimes

I have not applied heat sink paste over the cpu. Is the problem caused by that or any other reason, I don't know that

Also I have set the maximum processor rate to 90% as told by @knowledge bro in his earlier post and nicely explained by @nIGHT bro

@DKT27 I need ur help too 4 the proper functioning of my desktop

Israeli_Eagle
23 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

Guys I have updated my motherboard with latest bios

Just purchased a new hitachi 500gb hdd

My pc works f9 in winter, but in summer it starts to hang randomly. Even with chrome I feel jerk sometimes

I have not applied heat sink paste over the cpu. Is the problem caused by that or any other reason, I don't know that

Also I have set the maximum processor rate to 90% as told by @knowledge bro in his earlier post and nicely explained by @nIGHT bro

@DKT27 I need ur help too 4 the proper functioning of my desktop

Sink paste is a MUST!!!!!

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/compound.htm

All the stuff of @knowledge is only for mobile devices (laptops etc) because they simply not have any real cooling.

5 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Sink paste is a MUST!!!!!

All the stuff of @knowledge is only for mobile devices (laptops etc) because they simply not have any real cooling.

That's why I have put an extra fan on my cabinet and use cooler master fan which is of good quality

I will surely apply heat sink paste also ASAP

any other suggestions???

Israeli_Eagle
4 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

That's why I have put an extra fan on my cabinet and use cooler master fan which is of good quality

any other suggestions???

Even 10 more fans could not fix that problem if you not have any sink paste... The heat could simply not transferred physically!

Read the link, please!

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/compound.htm

1 hour ago, ashish1989 said:

any other suggestions???

Heat sink paste is actually more commonly known as thermal compound paste, or simply thermal paste.

Some manufacturer or pc seller prefer to use thermal conductive pad, or simply thermal pad, than thermal paste.

The advantage of thermal pads to thermal paste is that it is easy to handle and does not leave a mess but it is expensive as compared to the number of times you can apply the paste.

Based on what I read on a water/liquid cooling forum site, they compared all the known thermal paste, more than 20, and there are a little difference on the conductivity variance no matter they're the cheapest ones as compared to the more expensive ones.

What surprise me is that the cheaper ones have sometimes higher conductivity than the most expensive ones.

A perusal on the table of thermal pastes, their respective conductivity and temp variance, showed that the thermal paste with the highest conductivity in comparison to the thermal paste with the lowest conductivity have 1 to 2 degrees Celsius difference.

This means that if you use the most expensive ones and the temp it register is 35C then if you clean it up and reapply a cheaper thermal paste its temp will be around 36C to 37C. 

I also found that the cheaper Silver has a higher conductivity than the more expensive diamond and platinum type thermal compound.

So I bought two brands to test it out, one is artic silver vs china made thermal compound, to my surprise after an instant comparison there have the same temp.

So I tested it further and after a year passed with both has 6 months of application and noting temps, they still register the same 1C increased in temps.

That was years ago, now you got the ceramic, carbon and liquid metal type thermal paste, the difference on temps is now on the range of 1C to 5C.

Here is a table of a much newer thermal compound paste comparison

thermal paste.png

Recommendation: Buy the cheapest silver type thermal compound unless you are an extreme perfectionist overclocker with lots of cash then buy the liquid metal type thermal compound. I have been using these for years of the two thermal compounds and I can't see the difference in temps in 2 laptops (not including company issued laptop). Every 1, 1.5 or 2 years you need to change the thermal paste as it dries up depending on how hot the weather is. I live on a very hot high humid dusty highly dense city in a tropical country. Lastly, WASH YOU HANDS THOROUGHLY after applying thermal paste! It can poison you or cause cancer and makes you look like a teenage mutant ninja turtle.

Israeli_Eagle
25 minutes ago, nIGHT said:

Recommendation: Buy the cheapest silver type thermal compound unless you are an extreme perfectionist overclocker with lots of cash then buy the liquid metal type thermal compound. I have been using these for years of the two thermal compounds and I can't see the difference in temps in 2 laptops (not including company issued laptop). Every 1, 1.5 or 2 years you need to change the thermal paste as it dries up depending on how hot the weather is. I live on a very hot high humid dusty highly dense city in a tropical country.

A normal desktop PC does not need thermal paste every 1-2 years, only laptops because they move often (g-forces etc) and so also the (tiny) sink. And again: Laptops and any mobile devices not have a full cooling, so of course you will not see big differences of pastes.

3 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

A normal desktop PC does not need thermal paste every 1-2 years, only laptops because they move often and so also the (tiny) sink. And again: Laptops and any mobile devices not have a full cooling, so of course you will not see big differences.

You might be right. Laptops do not have an adequate cooling system.

About the difference on temps, this has been debated many times on how to properly conduct these test especially on the desktop.

Here is a much recent topic about thermal paste and their reaction on the temp difference/change.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1556258/thermal-paste-comparison-2015-which-is-the-best-thermal-paste

Archived