Denuvo Removed From Doom After Game Gets Cracked

Reefa

In an unexpected move, the infamous anti-piracy technology Denuvo has been removed from the PC version of Doom. The development follows a similar move last month when developer Playdead removed Denuvo from its game 'Inside'. Did a refund clause in the Denuvo deal trigger these removals?

denuvo

With piracy now an accepted part of video game culture, the main aim of developers is to stop their games leaking in the early days, weeks and months following their launch.

It’s suggested that this piracy-free window of opportunity might allow the bigger and more ambitious titles to recoup much of the money spent creating them.

No surprise then that companies are offering solutions to achieve that aim.

The main technology facilitating this breathing space today is Denuvo. This anti-tamper technology sits on top of other DRM, making the majority of games completely uncrackable. However, in more recent months, Denuvo protection has come under fire from a group calling itself CPY.

As a result, more and more Denuvo-protected games are appearing free-to-play online, having had their protections circumvented. But as pirates celebrate, something unexpected is happening. Having been cracked by CPY, some games are having Denuvo removed by their developers.

The latest case involves first-person shooter, Doom. As one of 2016’s biggest AAA releases, Doom is a highly desirable title so it was no surprise it was protected by Denuvo following its release in May.

However, the game was cracked relatively quickly by CPY and began appearing on piracy networks early September. Now developer Bethesda has removed Denuvo from the game altogether.

NFO file from CPY announcing their defeat of Doom’s protection

doom-nfo

If one looks at the situation logically, it makes some sense that after Denuvo has served its main purpose, it’s technically no longer needed and can be removed. However, after paying out for Denuvo protection (which is rumored to cost upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars per game), why would developers like Bethesda just not leave it intact?

For some time there have been theories that some kind of refund might be available to developers if Denuvo protection fails to live up to its billing. Some meat has now been put on the bones of that suggestion by a Reddit user who claims to be a games developer at a company using Denuvo.

“Game dev here, I work for a large studio that started using Denuvo recently. I’m neutral on piracy and pirate TV shows a lot, so don’t give me a hard time, certainly not here to judge,” he wrote in a post a few hours ago.

“I do want to explain what happened here. Denuvo Software Solutions offers a guarantee, if your Denuvo game is cracked within a certain time (3 months is normal), you do not have to pay for Denuvo. Part of claiming the refund is you must remove Denuvo from your game.”

In the case of Doom, Denuvo was cracked by CPY four months after release but since it’s one of the bigger titles, it’s conceivable that a longer period could still be eligible for some kind of refund. Ultimately, Denuvo claims that its protection pays for itself so when a game appears online too soon, it may not have reached its goals.

“One of the reasons why the management of my company used it, they think it is a no lose situation. I personally think it is more nuanced,” the developer explains.

“Denuvo is expensive and my management think we lose a fortune to piracy because the industry inflates the figures as I think most of you all know. My management buy in to the inflated figures and Denuvo Software Solutions of course uses them also.

“Obviously I’m just a developer so not aware of the numbers but eventually I’ll find out if Denuvo helped, my educated guess is that it won’t help improve sales figures as much as the management hope. To protect a AAA game, Denuvo charge high 7 figure sums,” he concludes.

Last month, Denuvo was also removed from the adventure game ‘Inside’. That title was released in July but was cracked by CPY in just six weeks, the fastest Denuvo defeat on record.

With two titles setting the trend and another on the horizon, we shouldn’t have to wait long to see if a pattern emerges. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was released in August and exactly three months later it was cracked by CPY. If the pattern follows, Denuvo should disappear from that title in a couple of months.

How all of this will affect Denuvo’s sales remains to be seen since the company’s protection, while still formidable, is not the titan it once was. It does, however, still cover those crucial early months pretty well and that’s probably acceptable to most of those involved.

source

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the reason the developers see this as a win-win situation is

because games will make the majority of their money 

within the 3 month time frame 

those games that are mainly relying on the multiplayer and online part don't need Denuvo or things like that. that's why games like GTA V or dead by daylight, CS Go don't have such things. only single player games like Doom or Just cause 3 use it. 

and honestly how many people prefer single player games to online multiplayer ones? very few. so they better either make Denuvo even more stronger than it already is or game developers forget about their profits when they consider to make a single player game.

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of DOOM(2016). Please dont just throw links at me for something you've found on a google search, or some untried torrents! PLEASE!!

BUT if you know of a good clean copy that you have already tested then please post link here. (please remember to sharecode it so the bosses dont get upset!) or you could PM me the link in which case sharecoding doesnt matter. tia

23 hours ago, 46&2 said:

Does anyone know where I can download a copy of DOOM(2016). Please dont just throw links at me for something you've found on a google search, or some untried torrents! PLEASE!!

BUT if you know of a good clean copy that you have already tested then please post link here. (please remember to sharecode it so the bosses dont get upset!) or you could PM me the link in which case sharecoding doesnt matter. tia

Haven't tested this but beggars can't be choosers

Site: http://oceanofgames.com
Sharecode[?]: /doom-2016-free-download/

• Administrator

All this is not required if the game is really good. While I have not played it, just look at this example. Here is the company's opinion on it.

So yes, one of the highest sold game since a year or so has no protection whatsoever, yet, it's so big in sales.

Not only that, I would like to point out that people not living in rich countries cannot afford the high price of such games. Knowing this, you know what the developers of the above game did, they cut the price of the game more than half for the non-rich countries, that is how you sell games here.

49 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

All this is not required if the game is really good. While I have not played it, just look at this example. Here is the company's opinion on it.

So yes, one of the highest sold game since a year or so has no protection whatsoever, yet, it's so big in sales.

Not only that, I would like to point out that people not living in rich countries cannot afford the high price of such games. Knowing this, you know what the developers of the above game did, they cut the price of the game more than half for the non-rich countries, that is how you sell games here.

it's always like that, not only for this game. just search for any game and you see it. Steam: https://steamdb.info/app/379720/

Russia or India almost pay half of the prices

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

1 hour ago, saeed_dc said:

it's always like that, not only for this game. just search for any game and you see it. Steam: https://steamdb.info/app/379720/

I don't  want to bust anyone's bubble, but I didn't preorder Doom like I do most games and waited a couple weeks to get it.  When I did I found the Collector's Edition for $27.99 with free shipping.  Just sat the box in the corner and covered it up with other computer junk and forgot about it till now.  Got it out and opened it up and  there is a large figurine inside that has lighted eyes and a single DVD.  Inserted the DVD and it started by allocating space on my drive (79GB) and says it is installing from disk but it isn't, actually downloading from the internet and slow at that, says it will take over 3 hours.  I checked Amazon and they will sell the standard version for 24.99 now and the collector's for 56.91.  If you want to download it though the price is 59.99, same as on steam.  Should have waited to get Titanfall 2 instead of paying full price for it.  If you are looking for some new hardware and Doom check out the combo on Newegg.  It is Combo: 3305313.  Intel i5-6600k Skylake Quad Core 3.5Ghz, MSI Radeon RX480 Armor 8GB OC GPU, Civilization VI, and Doom for $449.99.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

I see. But that's still a lot compared to some other games. People here really cannot buy such expensive things like this.

58 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

I don't  want to bust anyone's bubble, but I didn't preorder Doom like I do most games and waited a couple weeks to get it.  When I did I found the Collector's Edition for $27.99 with free shipping.  Just sat the box in the corner and covered it up with other computer junk and forgot about it till now.  Got it out and opened it up and  there is a large figurine inside that has lighted eyes and a single DVD.  Inserted the DVD and it started by allocating space on my drive (79GB) and says it is installing from disk but it isn't, actually downloading from the internet and slow at that, says it will take over 3 hours.  I checked Amazon and they will sell the standard version for 24.99 now and the collector's for 56.91.  If you want to download it though the price is 59.99, same as on steam.  Should have waited to get Titanfall 2 instead of paying full price for it.  If you are looking for some new hardware and Doom check out the combo on Newegg.  It is Combo: 3305313.  Intel i5-6600k Skylake Quad Core 3.5Ghz, MSI Radeon RX480 Armor 8GB OC GPU, Civilization VI, and Doom for $449.99.

I personally did not play this game and I know it's really a good one.

Referring to the other game you are talking about, a lot of good games are either priced heavily or are having this protection, so I for one have to wait a little for them.

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

I personally did not play this game and I know it's really a good one.

If you're talking about Doom 4 then I'm going to burst your bubble. The graphics are gorgeous and you get a good fps boost when using the Vulcan api. But halfway thru the game everything starts getting tedious.

It all boils down to endless hordes of demons to shoot up.If it wasn't for the hidden stuff to go look for it would be downright boring.  Doom 3 was so much better. The oppressing darkness of the claustrophobic hallways you had to navigate thru with your flashlight that you couldn't use at the same time with your weapons made for a terrifying ambience. I still remember those gurgling winged babies up ahead filling me with dread just by the sound of them. And that dread was justified when you finally saw them. Doom 3 was a masterpiece which makes Doom 4 a terrible disappointment in comparison. I deleted the game from my library knowing I wouldn't play with it again. But that's just my opinion.

On 12/9/2016 at 1:25 PM, saeed_dc said:

those games that are mainly relying on the multiplayer and online part don't need Denuvo or things like that. that's why games like GTA V or dead by daylight, CS Go don't have such things. only single player games like Doom or Just cause 3 use it. 

and honestly how many people prefer single player games to online multiplayer ones? very few. so they better either make Denuvo even more stronger than it already is or game developers forget about their profits when they consider to make a single player game.

Myself being one ,I don't play multiplayer as one ,not very good  to start

plus too much cheating going on

53 minutes ago, bigcid10 said:

play VAC secure games. cheaters ain't no reason to not play multiplayer games. it's just your own self's preference

• Administrator
On 11/12/2016 at 8:09 AM, lurch234 said:

If you're talking about Doom 4 then I'm going to burst your bubble. The graphics are gorgeous and you get a good fps boost when using the Vulcan api. But halfway thru the game everything starts getting tedious.

It all boils down to endless hordes of demons to shoot up.If it wasn't for the hidden stuff to go look for it would be downright boring.  Doom 3 was so much better. The oppressing darkness of the claustrophobic hallways you had to navigate thru with your flashlight that you couldn't use at the same time with your weapons made for a terrifying ambience. I still remember those gurgling winged babies up ahead filling me with dread just by the sound of them. And that dread was justified when you finally saw them. Doom 3 was a masterpiece which makes Doom 4 a terrible disappointment in comparison. I deleted the game from my library knowing I wouldn't play with it again. But that's just my opinion.

I see. Thanks for letting me know about it. Many of the reviews gave it a good score, but I understand the repetitive aspect of the game what you have mentioned.

Personally, I prefer other games from the same developer. I am talking about all the great classics which shaped the PC gaming. I have played many of them, inspite of entering the PC gaming scene just more than a decade ago. Man, those were the games, not great of graphics, but such great gameplay and enjoyment.

12 hours ago, bigcid10 said:

Count me in. But then someone introduced me to free to play games on Steam. Have not played much single player since. I cannot insist you enough on it, some games are easy to learn, hard to master, yet, everyone play them fine.

Still, if given the chance, I would always prefer the single player and it's story mode.

Cheating kind of depends on the game and other aspects. Sometimes you will meet two of them in a few days, that on VAC protected servers that is, but sometimes you will not meet a single cheater for months. Meaning, not that much cheating going on.

Steam for example, as mentioned above, has a very strict anti-cheating policy. While some cheats are able to bypass it, that number is quite small. Also, it works in a way that normal players should not be concerned about it.

On 12/10/2016 at 8:39 PM, lurch234 said:

I only play FPS games and then never multiplayer, only campaigns.  I have every version of Doom that has ever been released (I still have my original Doom floppy disks I got from ID) and they are all about the same.  You shoot a lot of monsters and a lot of monsters, and a lot of monsters, and not much else.  It's the nostalgia that attracts a lot of us old Doomers.  I also have all the versions of Wolfenstein and Rise of the Triad.  For those youngsters, ROTT was the first game where you weren't limited to running on the ground but could jump from platform to platform that were floating in the air.  I delete games from my hard drive but leave them in my library just in case I want to play them again sometime.  I just wish all the games were in the same system instead of having to have Steam, Origin, and Uplay all on the computer and having to switch between them to change games.

RoTT was an awesome game. My favorite game from that time period was one called Descent - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_(video_game)
as far as DOOM goes, I love killin' monsters (but not as much as I used to). The most fun Ive ever had playing video games was Quake CTF mod, who can forget the grappling hook? and custom scripts if you had the knack? Those were the days boy!

On 12/11/2016 at 9:52 AM, saeed_dc said:

play VAC secure games. cheaters ain't no reason to not play multiplayer games. it's just your own self's preference

lol,actually it's more that I'm not really good at the game

• Administrator
9 hours ago, bigcid10 said:

lol,actually it's more that I'm not really good at the game

A lot of people feel like that actually, champions in single player, average in multiplayer. There are so many jokes on the internet about the same. Once you get used to it,  you will understand all the good players have to start at some point and in team based games personal benefit does not matter as much as the team does.

I wish there would be a nsane Steam group, but knowing how strict things are these days, tracking and such, I do not thing that would ideal though.

Archived