Trend Micro AV nukes innocent Sharepoint code, admins despair

Petrovic

Trend Micro's antivirus software has flagged benign Sharepoint code as potentially malign and nuked the files, causing the Microsoft package to fall over.

After installing a dodgy update, Trend's OfficeScan tool removes a harmless JavaScript file from Sharepoint, leaving crashing servers in its wake.

Aggrieved admins have aired their frustration on Reddit.

More than a full day after our initial inquiries, Trend Micro confirmed on Thursday that there was a problem and that a misfiring update – which it has since pulled – was to blame.

False positives are a well-known Achilles’ heel of anti-malware packages. All vendors trip over the issue from time to time.

Article source

:lol:

• Replies 3
  • Views 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, SandStone said:

In my opinion false positives are created by purpose, when false positives happen too much with an engine something is happening. 

I had another confirmation about that engine today, not good indeed.

It could be a double edged sword. Not only does it affect the program they intentionally flagged as malicious. It also harms the reputation of said engine/antivirus.

I think many people do tend to ignore antivirus warnings or turn them off because of false positives.

Archived