[ SOLVED ( Help Needed ) ] Filename Changes When Copied

WALLONN7

From yesterday to here, every file I copy to one of my flash drives has its name changed, as the image shows ( 1 = original file / 2 = copied file ). The hashes are the same, so only the renaming of the file occurs.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2n0254i.jpg

1 - I checked the pendrive with KSOS and Malwarebytes and there is no infection;
2 - I formatted it with Windows, Hard Disk Level Format Tool, HP USB Disk Format Format Tool, SDFormatter and the problem is still present ...

Suggestions?!

Ps. It's a SanDisk Cruzer Blade

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, user@nsaneforums said:

NTFS ??

Default: FAT32

NTFS / exFAT = Problem does not happen

On 07/12/2016 at 4:07 PM, WALLONN7 said:

Default: FAT32

NTFS / exFAT = Problem does not happen

One of the major differences between FAT32 and NTFS is the latter can handle long file names

if this is the problem then from where comes the "RIVER~1" ?

The renamed file doesn't even contains some parts of the original name!!!

i also meant if the file was renamed and contains some parts of the original name, it would be understandable to some extent

but the new name doesn't even constains any part of the original name!

Windows file system cannot do this from its own!

Renamed files by Windows file system are only truncated, never completely revamped with a totally different name.

1 minute ago, jordan4x said:

i also meant if the file was renamed and contains some parts of the original name, it would be understandable to some extent

but the new name doesn't even constains any part of the original name!

Windows file system cannot do this from its own!

Renamed files by Windows file system are only truncated, never completely revamped with a totally different name.

SFC /SCANNOW  & CHKDSK showed no filesystem issues...

The only novelty in my system: I migrated from Avast to Kaspersky... 'Till then, nothing similar had happened...

7 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

Another bright idea :P :

Ultimate test : try on another computer with the same usb device

I would say also try an other usb device on the same computer (same size and FAT32)

xRIVER~1

Driver~1

Can you see something there?

C.G.B. Spender

Fat32 can only do 8.3 filename (8 chars name 3 chars extension), but windows uses some technique to overcome this, that's why if you installed win xp on fat32 drive and looked at C: with explorer you'd see Program Files directory, but if you booted up dos from floppy you'd see PROGRA~1. There is no error here, either you change the fat32 usb drive to exfat or ntfs or accept the consequences of using antiquated filesystem.

17 hours ago, jordan4x said:

Another bright idea :P :

Ultimate test : try on another computer with the same usb device

I had done this on the notebook where Zorin is installed... I formatted the pendrive... but when I returned to my pc, the problem was still present... :angry:

17 hours ago, dee.pee said:

I would say also try an other usb device on the same computer (same size and FAT32)

Since I do not have another one in the same size, it was not possible to do the suggested... But it was already known: four pendrives, only this presents the problem. ;)

14 hours ago, masterupc said:

xRIVER~1

Driver~1

Can you see something there?

I confess I did not quite understand what you meant... But, as stated in OP, only the name changes, the rest remains intact...

11 hours ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

Fat32 can only do 8.3 filename (8 chars name 3 chars extension), but windows uses some technique to overcome this, that's why if you installed win xp on fat32 drive and looked at C: with explorer you'd see Program Files directory, but if you booted up dos from floppy you'd see PROGRA~1. There is no error here, either you change the fat32 usb drive to exfat or ntfs or accept the consequences of using antiquated filesystem.

I understand the theory... :P

But it is known any FAT32 formatted pendrive is able to "understand" DriverBoosterPortable_4.1.0.390_Pro_Multilingual.paf... The problematic in question never had problems doing so until then...

9 hours ago, knowledge said:

I have  or use a  SanDisk  but i  have to say not THE  best thing as

1 make sure its uptodate

2 its slow somethings 

3 its not saying RIVER~1  i think it mean DRIVER~1 ?

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10/~/cruzer-flash-drive-not-detected-by-windows-pc

mayhelp?

Well, I'm sorry for your experience with SanDisk... I had the same problem with Kingston, so I migrated...

Nope, it didn't help...

Solution, who would say ( I should ), came when I formatted the pendrive on the pc with Windows Vista installed... After formatted there, the pendrive is working as expected...

Archived