[Solved] Are online Mobile phone unlockers legit?

strumz

Hi guys,

Ive been caught by the Uk provider O2 for going with a "Pay as you go" Sim only plan. They couldn't provide the tarrif my missus wants, so she used up the £10 top up we had to use to get the new phone working.

(The new phone was an anniversary present)

Being a newbie to phone tech I thought it was only the Contracts / monthly bill plans etc that locked you in. I naively thought that I could pull out the Sim and get another provider. Some like EE providers let you walk away but not O2, they lock you in to 12 months then charge you £15 to unlock. Not knowing any of this I contacted my BT provider (which I use for my mobile phone) and got the tariff she wanted and added her onto the plan. She now has a phone that she can't use for 1yr unless she stays with O2 and the tariff she doesn't want. And we are left paying for the BT sim plan.

So going online to check all this I see loads of companies offering to unlock phones using the IMEI number and they send you an unlock code, after you've paid something like £10

Are these companies legit or are they scams?

I feel the shop salesman did not sell me what I originally asked for "Tarrif / plan" wise, and did not warn me that O2 were complete gangsters with regard to "pay as you go " terms. He could have put me on the EE provider.

Anyway sorry for the ramble but I will go back to the shop and fight my case but I'd like to know if these "Unlockers" are a plan B.

cheers

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• strumz

• dMog

• hannubys

• DKT27

Top Posters In This Topic

i have unlocked numerous phones,,,two of my own and countless others for friends and families,,,,  most sites will ley you know before pay them if they can or cannot unlock your phone..all they need is your make and model of phone your carrier and your imei number that is easily obtained on you phone or by pressing a few numbers ..once unlocked the phone is always unlocked

here is one that answer some questions for you....  https://theunlockingcompany.com/faq/

Well a relative suggested trying a UK phone shop in Sheffield, "phonefunshop co uk":notworthy:

They only charged £5 (lowest I've seen) and the code came through in 10 minutes, I kid you not.

Worked ok and I'm now sorted with a very happy missus.

:tease: to the O2 gangsters :wedgie: