hotspot shield msi error code 1638

ilcorsaro73

Hello to everyone I'm trying to install last version of hotspot shield but the wizard suddly broke the installation with the erorr code 1638 :-( If I try to unistall the wizard show me the error msi error code 1605 like in images what can I do to solve and install the program thanks in advance for helped me 

so windows 10 pro x64 bit

security kis 17 

uninstall.GIF

install.GIF

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ERROR_PRODUCT_VERSION 1638 Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

6 minutes ago, Actarusse said:
ERROR_PRODUCT_VERSION 1638 Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

in Add/Remove Programs of Control Panel there isn't nothing...  no items of program

try a third party uninstaller like revo pro or iobit unistaller and start a forced deletion / uninstall process....both programs will delete remaining folders / reg entries from your system. use autoruns to remove any running program objects / drivers. finally get search everthing from voidtools and search for each and every leftover piece from the program. it is best not to use hotspotshield anymore , because the program logs each and everything that you do online , invading your privacy heavilly!!! better switch to windscribe vpn , get 10gb a month when you register and 50gb if you enter the code : 50gbfree. it is not much , I know but the speeds are great and the do not log , plus with some servers , torrenting is allowed!!

14 hours ago, Vatos Locos said:

try a third party uninstaller like revo pro or iobit unistaller and start a forced deletion / uninstall process....both programs will delete remaining folders / reg entries from your system. use autoruns to remove any running program objects / drivers. finally get search everthing from voidtools and search for each and every leftover piece from the program. it is best not to use hotspotshield anymore , because the program logs each and everything that you do online , invading your privacy heavilly!!! better switch to windscribe vpn , get 10gb a month when you register and 50gb if you enter the code : 50gbfree. it is not much , I know but the speeds are great and the do not log , plus with some servers , torrenting is allowed!!

thanks for Answer but i've already tried to unistall the program with iobit uninstaller but unluckly the result is always the same.... trying to install last version of hotspot shield  the wizard suddly broke the installation with the erorr code 1638 :-( If I try to unistall the wizard show me the error msi error code 1605

I've tried too windows repair (repair msi windows installer function) but nothing please help me :(

you could try system restro , if you have that enabled? you can revert back to a date , before this error happened on your machine. another alternative is to restore your machine to a clean backup image ( if you have made a clean backup image with a backup program . ) 

if you have good knowledge of computer system and the registry , and you know how to mannualy edit it , you can try this ( found this solution on a different page ) PROCEED ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! 

When you try to remove an application, you receive the following error: “Another version of this product is already installed” with the error code 1638.

msi_error_1638_another_version_already_installed

This is a problem with minor/major versions of the installed product. When a GUID of a msi package changes (when an msi is generated for example), the product will detect itself as another version.

Solution 1

Try to get the original msi. You can check GUID’s of the installed software and the msi match. You can find the GUID in the uninstall information:

x86 applications: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
x64 applications: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Try to find the specific uninstall information by, for example, searching for the name of the software in the subkey. Mostly the GUID is shown in the key ‘ModifyPath’ or ‘UninstallString’. If the GUID’s match, it is possible you can uninstall the application with the msi.

Solution 2

If there is no way to get the original msi or the error persists, you can delete the installation information. This information resides in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\{SID}\Products

The software installation info is present under the SID of the user who installed the software. The SID ‘S-1-5-18′ belongs to the system account. So, if the software is installed by deployment software, such as System Center Configuration Manager, the information will be present under this subkey.

The easiest way is to find the specific software by searching from the subkey ‘UserData’.

registry_windows_installer_key

Next, rename the whole key (which is the GUID of the software), under which you found the software information. Rename it like: 000021599B0090400100000000F01FEC.bak so you have the possibility to restore it.

Now try to uninstall the software again with the msi installer you have.

thanks for the reply Vatos Locos I've already tried a system restore, but after a reinstallation of this crap program the problem is still present .... act on the registry then it is too long and dangerous

On 29/10/2016 at 8:04 PM, Vatos Locos said:

you could try system restro , if you have that enabled? you can revert back to a date , before this error happened on your machine. another alternative is to restore your machine to a clean backup image ( if you have made a clean backup image with a backup program . ) 

if you have good knowledge of computer system and the registry , and you know how to mannualy edit it , you can try this ( found this solution on a different page ) PROCEED ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!! 

When you try to remove an application, you receive the following error: “Another version of this product is already installed” with the error code 1638.

msi_error_1638_another_version_already_installed

This is a problem with minor/major versions of the installed product. When a GUID of a msi package changes (when an msi is generated for example), the product will detect itself as another version.

Solution 1

Try to get the original msi. You can check GUID’s of the installed software and the msi match. You can find the GUID in the uninstall information:

x86 applications: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
x64 applications: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Try to find the specific uninstall information by, for example, searching for the name of the software in the subkey. Mostly the GUID is shown in the key ‘ModifyPath’ or ‘UninstallString’. If the GUID’s match, it is possible you can uninstall the application with the msi.

Solution 2

If there is no way to get the original msi or the error persists, you can delete the installation information. This information resides in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\{SID}\Products

The software installation info is present under the SID of the user who installed the software. The SID ‘S-1-5-18′ belongs to the system account. So, if the software is installed by deployment software, such as System Center Configuration Manager, the information will be present under this subkey.

The easiest way is to find the specific software by searching from the subkey ‘UserData’.

registry_windows_installer_key

Next, rename the whole key (which is the GUID of the software), under which you found the software information. Rename it like: 000021599B0090400100000000F01FEC.bak so you have the possibility to restore it.

Now try to uninstall the software again with the msi installer you have.

I've found this now what can I do?

Cattura.GIF

I've solved the problem with the installation of total unistaller pro and than finally I've installed new version of hotspot shield

Archived