Microsoft May Never Fix the High DPI Issues in Windows 10

Batu69

Microsoft May Never Fix the High DPI Issues in Windows 10

After a year of effort, they finally fixed Notepad. Partially.

I mention a coincidence. Just yesterday, Microsoft published yet another lengthy blog post describing the challenges of high DPI displays and how it is continually improving the OS to make it better. Speaking of challenges, I challenge you to actually read it. It’s dense, and tough-going. But if you slog through all of it, the conclusion is obvious enough: Microsoft will never really fix this problem. Not really.

And you can see why in this post’s lengthy explanation about how Microsoft, over multiple releases of Windows 10, attempted to fix just one legacy desktop application that’s built into Windows, Notepad, to work correctly on high-DPI displays in a very specific scenario: You have two displays, each with its own display scaling setting. You couldn’t pick a simpler application. And yet, this was a huge challenge to fix.

“During the first Windows 10 release we developed functionality that would enable non-client area to scale dynamically, but it wasn’t ready for prime-time and wasn’t released publicly until we released the Anniversary Update,” the post explains. That’s right. It took Microsoft three releases of Windows 10 to get one app—one very simple app—to work properly with high DPI. In one scenario.

Seriously. Read that post, just the part about Notepad. And then wonder to yourself: How on earth will this ever just work? For me. For my wife. For you. For anyone. And the conclusion is clear: It won’t, not really.

“We recognize that there are still gaps in the DPI-scaling functionality that Windows offers desktop application developers and the importance of fully unblocking developers in this space,” the post concludes. “Stay tuned for more goodness to come.”

I could use some goodness right now, to be frank. So could a lot of other people.

Read original article source

• Replies 1
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you get tired of hearing how the 'Best Version of Windows Ever' is just as screwed up as every other version of windows with things that will never be fixed.  And what isn't being fixed they aren't telling us about?  The problem seems to be that even Microsoft believed all its hype.  Wanting something to be the best ever doesn't make it so and there were a few hundred million fortune tellers (aka windows users) that foretold this fiasco over a year ago.  I really feel sorry for the people who are struggling to make a stable system when Microsoft keeps changing things and the users ability to modify windows to their own liking.  Starting to look more and more like Apple with its 'here it is, install it, use it, but we aren't going to let you modify it'.

Archived