Disable Windows 10 Updates Post Anniversary Update 2016

Batu69

When Microsoft announced Windows 10 Anniversary Update, I was excited, but soon my excitement turned to disappointment; ? 

I could not disable Windows 10 updates? The Group Policies hacks do not work anymore.

This is not the only reasons I disagree with the Anniversary Update, but that does not fall under the scope of this article. Microsoft is not playing fair; they force you to keep your computer up-to-date. Never mind if you can spare the bandwidth or not.

The reasoning behind this is; an up-to-date Windows is more secure. Yea sure, but keeping my Windows updated has never stopped malware from leaking in.

How to Disable Windows 10 updates?

Should it not be the decision of the end-user to update their software or not? Then again, go read your software license; the software (Windows 10) is not really yours to begin with. Yes, you paid for it; but it is not a purchase agreement, it is more like a rental agreement.

I touched some interesting topics above and we can discuss them some other time. You found this article, because you would like to disable Windows 10 updates post the Anniversary Update. I will stop ranting now and give you a solution.

Disable Windows Update Service

Disable the Windows Update Service to Disable Windows 10 Updates

The only way to disable Windows 10 updates post the Anniversary update is to disable and stop the Windows Update service. However, this is not a permanent solution. Windows 10 will in certain situations start the service back up automatically! The recommended solution is to set the connection type as metered. At least this way, updates will not be downloaded.

Enter Windows 10 Update Switch (Switch10)

I created Switch10 to disable Windows 10 updates quickly and efficiently, but also made it easy to enable updates if needed; because sometimes you want to update your computer. After consulting with the all-knowing Google, I found that the easiest method to Disable Windows 10 updates is to disable and stop the Windows Update service.

Disable Windows 10 Updates

Disable Windows 10 Updates with Switch10

Remember; when you stop the Windows Update service, it will start right back up when you check for updates again as mentioned before. Enter metered connections; the second solution to the Windows 10 update dilemma. At least this way, you can stop Windows 10 from downloading updates and save on your bandwidth.

Metered Connections

With Windows 10 Update Switch you can set different connections as metered. At the moment Windows 10 only allows you to set Wi-Fi connections as metered. Switch10 allows you to set 3G, 4G, Ethernet and Wi-Fi connection types as metered. With Switch10, you can quickly set these connection types back too non-metered when needed.

Windows 10 Metered Connections

Windows 10 Metered Connections

This does not disable Windows 10 updates, but will stop updates from downloading. This is the preferred method to use, because disabling the Windows Update service is unreliable. At least this still gives us some control over the Windows 10 Update process. I wonder, how long before Microsoft discontinue this feature?

Download Switch10 to Disable Windows 10 Updates

Article source

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reasoning behind this is; an up-to-date Windows is more secure. Yea sure, but keeping my Windows updated has never stopped malware from leaking in.

Lmfao. if the editor  cant keep malware out with Windows updates  on hes sure not going to be able keep it out with it off , the last time i  a had problem with malware was 2008  or something i download a infected  crack that  Kaspersky failed  to pick up  . Now he will most likely be part of a botnet or something ..Lame excuse for not doing updates . :P

The only way to disable Windows 10 updates post the Anniversary update is to disable and stop the Windows Update service

No it's not the only way if you know exactly what to block in you're Firewall  you can block it  and check for updates  it  will stay blocked ..That's how you know its working  also you can install updates from the catalog because you don't have the service disabled . Another person  going to  the extreme because they don't have the right Firewall lol.

i also prefer the manual way

All what this program do is disabling the Windows Update service, so i prefer to do it myself

Other blockings can be done as stated by @steven36

C.G.B. Spender

If you insist on crippling the operating system why not just use any of the unsupported old windows that have no updates? Updates are released for a reason.

9 minutes ago, jordan4x said:

i also prefer the manual way

All what this program do is disabling the Windows Update service, so i prefer to do it myself

Other blockings can be done as stated by @steven36

I did not   notice this person made a program to do  it .  WinaeroTweaker and  Win.Privacy  and others already had this for a very long time  lol .

2 minutes ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

If you insist on crippling the operating system why not just use any of the unsupported old windows that have no updates? Updates are released for a reason.

Even with previous operating systems i always disabled Windows update

i also disable it for a reason : avoid to screw up my computer!

i never let microsoft install what they want.

i give it enough time to see if it's not harmful, i also evaluate the new improvements or fixes if i need them, and ONLY then i manually install it

Btw. i worked with Windows 7 SP1 without updates for years!

12 minutes ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

Well they are legit reasons to disable AU  like if its full of bugs and locks up you're system , many people had problems  trying to install  Redstone 1 , XP or Vista all software dont work on it anymore and Gamers want to use DX 12 . TH2 you can get offline updates for it still..

I think the problem is a matter of principle. Microsoft should have that much control over my computer. They run or stop whatever services/functions as they see fit, whenever they see see fit. No matter what I choose. That is simply not right. Nor should be permitted.

They do in fact sneak in spy/telemetry/data collection "enhancements" along with their updates, without the user's consent. Even for older operating systems like Windows 7.

It is outrageous. In my humble opinion, the article's author has a point. It is not about security. Microsoft is simply using that argument as an excuse, trying to mislead people so they fall into their data collection traps.

Yes, updates can be necessary, but they should address security issues, or at least are clear when they are changing the functionality of the operating system you run on your own computer. Microsoft is free to do whatever they please with their own computers, we are not part of their bot net.

12 hours ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

Updates are released for a reason.

To break devices?

To reset user changed settings back to default (AKA "what Microsoft wants")?

To uninstall users' programs that Microsoft thinks are incompatible?

To reinstall apps that Microsoft thinks the user needs?

To interrupt users' work with a modal "You need updates" dialogue box that gives no choice other than to download and install updates causing loss of any unsaved work?

To convince users that Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are both stable and mature OS's that let users feel that they are in control of, unlike Windows 10 for which none of these apply? (That convinced me, goodbye Windows 10, hello Windows 8.1)

Back on topic... that application is a great idea, and adding the ability to set Ethernet connections to Metered is a very useful function. (Dear Microsoft, it's WAN connections that can be metered, NOT LAN connections!)

System upgrades are the  Achilles' heel of any O/S  or software if not been tested  much.  I had very little trouble from Redstone 1 but i just been lucky.  The thing  is when you installed   Windows 10 TH1  back in July -AUG 2015 on you're own.

if Microsoft didn't approve you're updates  on windows updates  chances are you're PC was not compatible with Windows 10 yet  it took  them 6 mths maybe longer even  to give some people the update too Windows 10 TH1  I had problems with this there were not even working drivers but beta ones that you had install yourself  the ones Microsoft game me were broke so I went back to windows 8.1 for awhile and by the time I tested it again  right before RS1  came out  TH2 and Microsoft had the right drivers   and the same thing happen with Redstone 1 many people downloaded  and installed  it before it got on there Windows updates  . 

And still months latter people  are waiting  for Microsoft to put it on live updates and never got it.   If something messes up and they never gave you the update and you installed anyway it's you're fault not there's  Lack of patience and not waiting on the upgrade messed  up way  more windows 10 users PCs than GWX did . :P 

But really  there's a big chance they want even give you the update tell you're system is ready . On the other hand when they give you the update  its a big hassle I went years on Windows 7 and never needed to clean install windows . And when they push out a New version of Windows it's best to clean install it  and not upgrade . Some people likes bleeding edge  O/S  and most people just want a stable O/S  they dont need to upgrade or clean install 2 times a year. Best for these people to just use Windows 8.1 tell 2023  if they dont want to do system upgrades .  .

And any modern O/S will remove you're apps or update them if not compatible with the newest version  same thing happens when you  upgrade Linux  ..They dropped AMD catalyst in Ubuntu and removed it on my system and  I have to use a distro based on ARCH to use a newer Linux OS on my AMD system because they have a work around were you can still use AMD catalyst they made it compatible. :)

Archived