DNS problem

ashish1989

Hello guys I m from India. I use Huawei e3276 with TP Link 3220 v2. My ISP is Reliance JIO.

My problem is I cannot access internet without dns. I use google dns then but getting very unstable connection.

I m confused now, is it my data card problem, or wifi router problem or my ISP problem

Plz guys help me to diagnose my internet.

:(:(:(

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

My problem is I cannot access internet without dns.

Of course you cannot access internet without DNS, you must use your own DNS server or your ISP DNS server. :D

Try this Open DNS server

This your internet will use your ISP DNS server.

- Highlight 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and click Properties.

- Click the radio button- obtain dns server automatically & click OK button.

If you want to test others DNS servers, use this tool.

20 minutes ago, Batu69 said:

Of course you cannot access internet without DNS, you must use your own DNS server or your ISP DNS server. :D

Try this Open DNS server

This your internet will use your ISP DNS server.

- Highlight 'Internet Protocol Version 4' and click Properties.

- Click the radio button- obtain dns server automatically & click OK button.

If you want to test others DNS servers, use this tool.

Sir I have set dns server to choose automatically

Open dns is working f9

But which is better google or public

also how do I know at which dns server my ISP will work efficiently and which dns server my ISP use

22 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

But which is better google or public

Better about fast/stable or better about privacy? Your own choice :D

24 minutes ago, ashish1989 said:

also how do I know at which dns server my ISP will work efficiently and which dns server my ISP use

I don't know how to do that but you can test your DNS leak here if you use VPN.

Guys I have set open dns

But my main problem why my internet dongle disconnects after few usage and connects again automatically

This is causing me unstable wifi

Is this my isp or dongle problem with tp link 3220

there has been a massive ddos attack going on for a few days.. against a dns server will probably resolve after a couple of days..

5 hours ago, ashish1989 said:

Guys I have set open dns

But my main problem why my internet dongle disconnects after few usage and connects again automatically

That is by design.  You can change that setting by choosing 'Connect Manually' instead of 'Connect on Demand' or 'Connect Automatically'.  Unless they have changed it on recent firmware versions there is no setting to keep it connected when it detects it is idle.  Sometimes it will disconnect when it is being used, this was a previously reported problem a couple years ago.  The best advice is to contact TP Link support and see if they have new firmware or a fix for your problem of disconnecting.

8 hours ago, ashish1989 said:

Guys I have set open dns

Open a command prompt (Start menu / type cmd) run it

Type ping 8.8.8.8 -t (or change ip for your ISP's)

Press return

Your interested in the time=** this should be around the same give or take a few ms, mine goes from 18ms-24ms. If any packets drop you will see it here, press ctrl+c to break the ping test

Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 12, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Also post a screen shot of the signal strength you are getting with your dongle, could well be that it's not giving you a decent signal hence the network dropping.

• Administrator

Thing with DNS is that a lot also depends on the server location. For your ISP, some ISPs like MTNL and such use their own servers - but have uptime and even censorship problems. Some ISPs use external servers, some based in the country in relative nearby, yet far, locations like Singapore.

Here is where public DNS come too. Google has servers almost everywhere - in many cities. However, in OpenDNS's case, inspite of being one of the most used DNS server out there, it has no DNS server located in India, with the closest one being near Singapore.

There is one thing you may or may not know though. Both Google and OpenDNS's IPs you see are actually anycast IPs. When we speak of anycast in DNS, it means it will automatically select the closest / nearest location of you and serve the DNS request for you.

So yes, public DNS are more stable, but ping times can be bad, ISP's DNS have good ping times, but not necessarily good uptimes I think.

On 10/24/2016 at 9:19 PM, straycat19 said:

That is by design.  You can change that setting by choosing 'Connect Manually' instead of 'Connect on Demand' or 'Connect Automatically'.  Unless they have changed it on recent firmware versions there is no setting to keep it connected when it detects it is idle.  Sometimes it will disconnect when it is being used, this was a previously reported problem a couple years ago.  The best advice is to contact TP Link support and see if they have new firmware or a fix for your problem of disconnecting.

I have set connect automatically, cant set to manually or on demand due to electricity issues

Have installed latest firmware for router

On 10/25/2016 at 0:31 AM, Dodel said:

Open a command prompt (Start menu / type cmd) run it

Type ping 8.8.8.8 -t (or change ip for your ISP's)

Press return

Your interested in the time=** this should be around the same give or take a few ms, mine goes from 18ms-24ms. If any packets drop you will see it here, press ctrl+c to break the ping test

Packets: Sent = 12, Received = 12, Lost = 0 (0% loss)

Also post a screen shot of the signal strength you are getting with your dongle, could well be that it's not giving you a decent signal hence the network dropping.

bro here is the screenshot after I have set the open dns

Guys I have installed open wrt firmware in my router

I m not facing any disconnection issue now but its strange why my net is not working without entering dns server into the apn

how to solve this issue

33 minutes ago, oculusmstdc123 said:

mean that you are having problems connecting to the server that resolves domain names  to IP addresses that the computers uses to connect to yahoo. If you getting this message you probably have lost connection to you internet or have entered an invalid IP address for you DNS server in the TCP/IP section of you computer operating system.
there is a number of things that can cause this error but I would need more details about the actual problem.

What other info do u need tell me

Archived