Black screen on startup

Awesomeness it self

If you're not using any new component (hardware) or you do not encounter any BIOS problem, there's no need.

• Replies 47
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Yes even I think so. But will still wait to see what leet has to react.

Leet isn't everything you know. There's no such thing that someone knows everything..

• Administrator

At least he knows more than us.

No yellow dots :) and yes I checked they work together but thanks anyway :)

Well the reason I asked is because the last time I looked at a GPU to consider for buying.. It had two different modes it could run in. ( the card I was looking at.. ) One was with the on-board GPU.. in-line in other words... BOTH were being used in conjunction with one another...I think in this instance you would be using the hookup in the back for the original card. Then there was the other way which basically jumped the on-board all together, and you used the hook-up for the card only..

Did you go to Microsoft Downloads and get the latest DirectX installed on your system? .. Your card may be able/needing/using different DirectX files or need more than what was installed for your other GPU.. Its a long shot for the Black screen on startup, Have you used an Optimization software on your system that may have changed startup behavior of any kind? Just curious sometimes its better to go back to that software and check its settings.. read over it in detail, because some changes include somethings we might have looked over at the time..

If you have a defrag software outside of Vista I would say run a defrag for fragmented files only, if the system is having a hard time reading the files that were installed because they are fragmented all to hell .. it could iron out the problem... Another un-orthodox recommendation.. but I actually fixed a PC once that had a similar boot problem. It was really odd but it worked...I had also cleaned/defragged the registry on the system..at the same time just to recreate the exact scenario I went through; IF you want to try it.

EDIT: Last but not least does your card support the First resolution Vista uses..You set this when you install.. what I was referring to a few threads back about the 'switchity switch'. Vista switches resolutions a few times before you get logged on...and does your monitor device support that resolution..

I agree with what Bizarre said, the table of settings don't change unless you actually make some hardware change or alter a BIOS setting. Most if not all modern motherboards auto update the DMI data if something changes so usually there is no need to clear it at all.

Even though it's not necessary, I clear it anyway just for completeness, the new BIOS will just rebuild the DMI data so it's not like anything gets lost.

Getting back to Awesomness's problem now:

Bizarre raised an important point to look into, the power supply. I remember back in the day when I bought a 6800GT it was my first gfx card that came with a separate power port. The thing is though the molex connector I plugged into it used to sometimes be slack for like a millisecond if the table vibrates and it caused the screen to corrupt, forcing me to reboot. Recheck those connections to the card and make sure it is seated into the slot properly.

You could also try switching the port that you connect the monitor cable to. I am sure your gfx card has 2 dvi ports so just move the cable to the next one and see if that helps. Worse case scenario is you have to update the card BIOS. I am only familiar with modding and flashing BIOS for nvidia video cards so I won't be able to help you with that one. Flashing a graphics card is tricky so always be careful and make sure you have a backup.

Also if you are overclocking the black edition cpu you have there I suggest you leave the FSB and PCI-Express bus speed at the default and only tweak around with the cpu multiplier settings. Update us on the situation.

This is most likely a software problem, rather than a hardware problem, please read my previous post in this topic ;)

Try disabling AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS. Also have a look at the /usepmtimer switch I mentioned in my previous post.

Also try installing the latest drivers for your MoBo(chipset) and CPU.

@shought:

The root cause of the problem has not yet been determined.

Thus, there's no right or wrong solution at the moment.

We can only give options... and hope that it hits the bull's-eye ;)

Awesomeness it self

Hi again, the computer is still messed up in the start, today I got a new streek, needed to reboot the computer 9 times ;)

This is most likely a problem with your VGA card, I'm sorry I didn't take time to read through the whole thread, but if you haven't already done so update your drivers. If that doesn't work try visiting the AMD site for your latest CPU updates.

I also read something about adding/removing /usepmtimer to your boot.ini file, I tried it when I had this problem and it did seem to have effect.

Will try to find updates for my cpu, that last thing sounded intresting but I dont realy know where to find the boot.ini file

@Awesomeness it self:

I'm just guessing, but it's probably 3 things:

1. Your hardware (graphics card)

2. Your software (graphics card driver)

3. Your PSU (Power Supply Unit)

If it's #1, try using a spare graphics card and test whether it produces the same symptoms.

If you don't have a spare graphics card, try using the alleged graphics card in another PC.

If it's #2, which I think is highly unlikely since you're using the latest driver.

If you are using an updated driver, try using older version.

If you are not using an updated driver, then it's time to update.

If it's #3, then it's time to replace the PSU.

Sometimes the PSU gets damaged for some reasons like:

1. Over Heat

2. Over Load

3. Over Use

Especially when the PC demands much from the PSU.

well I have my old computer will try to switch the video cards when I have time.

the psu, was also thinking about that, but it's pretty new just like a half year old, and none of my freands have a high power psu I can test with, but my psu do not make any weird sounds. But lets say it's the psu that's broken, then shoulednt the computer work normaly when it's up and running, right?

Getting back to Awesomness's problem now:

Bizarre raised an important point to look into, the power supply. I remember back in the day when I bought a 6800GT it was my first gfx card that came with a separate power port. The thing is though the molex connector I plugged into it used to sometimes be slack for like a millisecond if the table vibrates and it caused the screen to corrupt, forcing me to reboot. Recheck those connections to the card and make sure it is seated into the slot properly.

You could also try switching the port that you connect the monitor cable to. I am sure your gfx card has 2 dvi ports so just move the cable to the next one and see if that helps. Worse case scenario is you have to update the card BIOS. I am only familiar with modding and flashing BIOS for nvidia video cards so I won't be able to help you with that one. Flashing a graphics card is tricky so always be careful and make sure you have a backup.

Also if you are overclocking the black edition cpu you have there I suggest you leave the FSB and PCI-Express bus speed at the default and only tweak around with the cpu multiplier settings. Update us on the situation.

I took a look at the power connections to the video card and since my psu only have one pci-e connection thingy I have a converter from 2xmolex to pci-e connection thingy ( maby that mess some thing up :o) but they where all seated corectly.

flashing graphic card, never done that, what exactly is that?

and about the connections from my monitor, yes I have two DVI ( is that the name? not sure) connections on it and I'm using a vga converter, becouse my monitor dont have DVI ports. Switched to the ater div connection and when I started the screen becam totaly laggy like it's updating very slow :s

about the clocking, was thinking about clock the CPU but not when the computer is like this, havent clock anything so far.

Try disabling AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS

Will do :)

I took a look at the power connections to the video card and since my psu only have one pci-e connection thingy I have a converter from 2xmolex to pci-e connection thingy ( maby that mess some thing up ohmy.gif) but they where all seated corectly....

...and about the connections from my monitor, yes I have two DVI ( is that the name? not sure) connections on it and I'm using a vga converter, becouse my monitor dont have DVI ports. Switched to the ater div connection and when I started the screen becam totaly laggy like it's updating very slow

I would be willing to bet your problem is going to be in this area..Technically I would find a TV/Monitor, get rid of the converters...

PCIE2MOLEX

"This adapter can be used to convert any 6-pin power supply PCI Express cable to a standard 4-Pin Molex cable. Keep in mind that PCI Express only has a +12V voltage and so this cable can ONLY be used for things like fans and case lighting where no 5V source is needed. Do not use this adapter for hard drives, optical drives and other computer hardware that requires both 5 and 12V voltages. Finally, a way to used those unused PCI Express cables when you are not yet doing SLI or running dual PCI express video cards like the Nvidia 8800 series. Cable is about 8 inches long."

Have you looked into the voltages? If this is messed up I would say you might have hit a road block...I am guessing this what you have. If so this issue means that you cannot use the card.. maybe why the other guy replaced several major components...and I would check this first before you go any farther...

There were some interesting parts here..http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...oducts_id=25411

Awesomeness it self
I would be willing to bet your problem is going to be in this area..Technically I would find a TV/Monitor, get rid of the converters...

PCIE2MOLEX

"This adapter can be used to convert any 6-pin power supply PCI Express cable to a standard 4-Pin Molex cable. Keep in mind that PCI Express only has a +12V voltage and so this cable can ONLY be used for things like fans and case lighting where no 5V source is needed. Do not use this adapter for hard drives, optical drives and other computer hardware that requires both 5 and 12V voltages. Finally, a way to used those unused PCI Express cables when you are not yet doing SLI or running dual PCI express video cards like the Nvidia 8800 series. Cable is about 8 inches long."

Have you looked into the voltages? If this is messed up I would say you might have hit a road block...I am guessing this what you have. If so this issue means that you cannot use the card.. maybe why the other guy replaced several major components...and I would check this first before you go any farther...

There were some interesting parts here..http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...oducts_id=25411

hmm well, I think my borther have a monitor where you dont need any converters will check with him if I can borrow it, and about the converters to the card, intresting, will check the voltadge when I have time,

this is what my converter look like http://www.keuren.eu/images/72.2MOLEX-PCIe.gif

got one with the card so I think it would work.

I'v done some updates, chipeset, directX and turned of the amd cool& quiet will check if it works soon :)

and about the connections from my monitor, yes I have two DVI ( is that the name? not sure) connections on it and I'm using a vga converter, becouse my monitor dont have DVI ports. Switched to the ater div connection and when I started the screen becam totaly laggy like it's updating very slow :s

Man, I hope that Windows didn't switch monitor from one to the other after it started. I did this before also. I had used DVI-1, then when Windows started, it switched to DVI-2 and my LCD went blank. Try booting normally, then when your monitor goes black, plug your monitor into the other DVI port and see if you have pictures. (Make sure that you turned off the monitor off first.) ?Were you able to use the monitor normally in Safe Mode?

This is most likely a problem with your VGA card, I'm sorry I didn't take time to read through the whole thread, but if you haven't already done so update your drivers. If that doesn't work try visiting the AMD site for your latest CPU updates.

I also read something about adding/removing /usepmtimer to your boot.ini file, I tried it when I had this problem and it did seem to have effect.

Will try to find updates for my cpu, that last thing sounded intresting but I dont realy know where to find the boot.ini file

Try disabling AMD Cool'n'Quiet in your BIOS

Will do :)

It seems Vista no longer uses boot.ini, instead it uses BCD and you can use BCDedit.exe to edit the settings, I have no idea how you should go about doing this though.

This article might help.

Just remember the '/usepmtimer' switch, if it's already there try removing it, if it's not try adding it.

It seems Vista no longer uses boot.ini, instead it uses BCD and you can use BCDedit.exe to edit the settings, I have no idea how you should go about doing this though.

This article might help.

Just remember the '/usepmtimer' switch, if it's already there try removing it, if it's not try adding it.

Still living in 2007 eh shought? ;)

Vista does not need the PM timer switch, newer motherboards like his should be using HPET timer by default, make sure HPET is enabled in the BIOS else the system defaults to the PM timer which is an older system used by XP and previous OS. The /usepmtimer switch was required to force older systems to use the PM timer instead of Time Stamp Counter however Vista and upwards don't even bother looking for the TSC, they start by looking for HPET, then PM timer. Additionally, there areno AMD CPU drivers for Vista and Win7, that was only a duct tape fix for XP because XP lacked native support for on the fly down-clocking used by "Cool n Quiet". That being said, if you do find any /usepmtimer switch in your BCD file then remove it and make sure the HPET is enabled in the BIOS.

Strange that your second DVI port resulted in failed graphics. Once you switch ports while off and start the PC it is supposed to work the same on both ports. Since you say you get failed results with the second port then I would think your video card is failing. That video card has to be new and still under warranty, take it back and get it exchanged.

Question: are you using black edition vista 64 or some other pre activated edition floating around the internet or are you using a genuine untouched release?

Awesomeness it self

Hi

could not find any /usepmtimer in the bcd file.

HPET was on in bios

Question: are you using black edition vista 64 or some other pre activated edition floating around the internet or are you using a genuine untouched release?

I'm using a cracked vista since soon win7 will come and dont want to trow away lots of money on a OS that I soon will cange, but my cracked vista works fine havent got any errors at all, you think that could be the problem?

and btw, I dont know if it's just luck or not but after I made my last updates I havent got any black screens :s but maby I'm just lucky but I will return soon when I'v dont like 10 reboots :)

Awesomeness it self

Hmm, I think or i'm just very lucky but I dont get the black screen anymore, will try to turnon/turnoff the computer more when I have time, But if it solved

THANK YOU very very much! you guys are best! :) this is the best computer forum ever (just as you know)

well bye, have fun :)

Hmmm..very interesting.. indeed..

Now we can all cheer..LOL. I was getting worried there for a minute..

I know this is like a stupid question for Vista users, ( why I originally didn't say go to Microsoft Update using IE and make sure you don't have any optional updates for system drivers ) but, do you know if it updated any system drivers in particular. Like maybe your original GPU? Or was it just the normal slew of monthly updates?

Awesomeness it self
Hmmm..very interesting.. indeed..

Now we can all cheer..LOL. I was getting worried there for a minute..

I know this is like a stupid question for Vista users, ( why I originally didn't say go to Microsoft Update using IE and make sure you don't have any optional updates for system drivers ) but, do you know if it updated any system drivers in particular. Like maybe your original GPU? Or was it just the normal slew of monthly updates?

Vista haven't updated any system drivers :)

• Administrator

So, got the reason? Which caused the problem.

Awesomeness it self
So, got the reason? Which caused the problem.

well after that I updated,chipeset, directX,turned of the amd cool& quiet and changet the adapter from the PSU to the video card I havent got any black screens, dont realy know but I'm just very very happy it works :) and thank you all again! :D

• Administrator

Again glad we could help you. :)

ANW because of Leet even I changed my BIOS. :D . I didn't clear the DMI pool as I found on google that many people had problem with it when they did it.

Awesomeness it self
Again glad we could help you. smile.gif

ANW because of Leet even I changed my BIOS. biggrin.gif . I didn't clear the DMI pool as I found on google that many people had problem with it when they did it.

Well I dont know if the update of BIOS fixed this problem I had but I dont think it was a bad think + that I can use my usb keybord in the BIOS now, before I updated the BIOS I need to plugg in anater keybord the old ones with the old connection, always a good thing :)

Archived