Black screen on startup

Awesomeness it self

Awesomeness it self

Hello!

I have a small problem when I start my computer, I start the computer everything works fine the little green strip with Microsoft corporation comes up and after that the Windows loggo should pop up (I'm using vista) but it dosen't, instead the screen turns black, the screen still got signal from the computer, and graphics card fan blows on max and if I dont do anything with the computer it stands like that until I turn it off. When I start it again it is quite fifty fifty if the computer comes into Windows or not, sometimes it comes in to Windows on the first try sometimes, you may have to restart the computer 4-5 times. But when you are in Windows it works fine not a singel problem.

I think, almost entirely sure that this has something to do with my graphics card. Becouse when I installed Windows and drivers this problem started to happend when I installed my graphics card.

I have the latest drivers for my motherboard and graphics card. I have tryed to reinstall Windows without any further success. The computer starts in Safe Mode.

My system is:

Motherboard: Gigabyite ma790x-ud4

Graphics Card: Xfx Radeon hd4890

Ram: 2x Corsair Dominator 2gb

Processor: amd Phenom II x4 940 Be

Power supply: Corsair 450w

HDD: a 200gb wd + 1tb external

I'm using Vista ultimate 64bit

I was googling around and found this

looks like he have the same problem except that I'm using ati and he is using Nvida.He solved it by changing the motherboard and processor, would realy like to avoid that.

would appreciate help

thanks in advance ! :)

• Replies 47
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the onboard VGA chip. (if your mobo has it) If it boots good.. your GPU might be dead..

The fact that Safe Mode works points me more in the GPU dead direction.

Cables plugged in correctly?

Awesomeness it self

Well, the thing is that when the computer is in windows when the start whent good. It works perfect I can play games on very good setnings and soo on. I dont think tge gpu is dead becouse the I shouldent be able to play those games. And the cables are plugged in correctly :)

First thing to do is make sure you have updated your BIOS to support the Phenom 2 CPU you are using. I believe this is the page for your BIOS updates. When you use the Gigabyte @Bios utility be sure to tick the box that says "clear DMI". Most of these boards, while they do support the socket AM3 CPU, get BIOS updates to fully support the CPU itself and in this case the Phenom II is a new architecture based on the K10 core.

Once that is done, download and install the latest Catalyst video and motherboard drivers.

Video Driver: ATi Catalyst Suite 9.7 for Vista 64.

Chipset Driver: South Bridge Driver 9.7 for Vista 64.

You can also check the frontpage for ATi Catalyst updates.

Try booting in safe mode to see if the monitor works. If so, then most likely a driver. I had this recently. Boot into a Vista install DVD and do a "repair". (This is not the lame XP.) It actually worked for me. If the problem is Vista system files. Vista will fix it. If it is a third party driver, Vista will want to do a system restore. I hope you have system restore. If not, note the problem (what file or driver), then see if you can uninstall it in safe mode. Or while in safe mode, do the "msconfig" and do a "diagnostic start up".

Awesomeness it self

woow fast relplys here nice forum!

where do I check which version of bios I have? and which one of those dowload liks am I supost to pic?

woow fast relplys here nice forum!

where do I check which version of bios I have? and which one of those dowload liks am I supost to pic?

Just download the Latest Gigabyte @BIOS Utility. It can download the latest BIOS from the internet, just tick the box for clear DMI and update it. If you want to do a manual update from the BIOS download page I provided earlier then version F3 is the latest.

------------------------------------------------------

Also: topic moved to Hardware Hangout Forum. :)

• Administrator

I also think it's a driver problem. Have you tried to roll back driver? Did you installed a new driver that was not fully capable of your current GPU?

Also check what LeetPirate said.

Ohh hate this I sound like a totlay brain less dude, where exactly is the dmi box? :)

Don't worry, we are all n00bs in some way, asking questions is the key to learning.

Take a look at the screen shot of the @BIOS utility. Hopefully this should clear things up. Keep updating us on the situation.

vexekp.jpg

I am nt an expert.. BUT I would say go with LeetPirate.. From reading two threads in here about the same thing ... I would say it most likely have to do with the OS installation, and the hardware in which you have on board. AnnnNnNnnnD.. that what LeetPirate is saying would be the most appropriate means of clearing out all "registries".. updating the BIOS...making sure yo have the most current drivers.. Maybe then when you boot Vista and it all goes ''switchity switch" with the resolutions and hardware.. trying to boot the OS..You may not have a confused system trying .. to load the wrong GPU.. or driver... and they have to be setup to support DirectX too I think..with the most recent installs..but I don't know if that would be causing the issue..

:coolwink:

Awesomeness it self

successful update of the bios, thank you vety much leetpirate you sure is leet :) going for the other updates now.

• Administrator

So has problem solved yet?

Let me tell you a secret. :secret: . Leet is the best person that can help you on any PC problems. ;)

Awesomeness it self

Hi again, I'v reinstalled the drivers to the video card now, everything works fine now, so hold on in like 10 min going to turn my computer on and of like 10 times and hop it works :)

• Administrator

Glad you got it right. :)

@Leet. What does it mean by clear DMI Data Pool? As even I'm planning to update my BIOS. But I don't have any specific problems.

Awesomeness it self

Well... I'm back and it was a failure but I havent updated the Chipset Driver, the link didnt work but will find it so hold on :)

Do I have to do anything else when I'v updated the bios? then instal the bios do I have go inte bios and do something there?

When you bought the card did you make sure it was going to integrate with your on-board GPU? or are you installing a PCI that is supposed to work on its own? Difficult to say what I am talking about..

What is Device Management saying about your GPU's/cards/drivers?

Awesomeness it self
When you bought the card did you make sure it was going to integrate with your on-board GPU? or are you installing a PCI that is supposed to work on its own? Difficult to say what I am talking about..

What is Device Management saying about your GPU's/cards/drivers?

dont realy get what you mean with the first part, but when I go to device managment>display adapters my card is there if that's what you mean :)

Anyhow I think I'v installed Chipset Drivers now, not sure but the card works fine now, 90% sure it was the rigth thing I installed. But to the sad part the problem is sitll here black screen when I start the computer :(

• Administrator

He means that have you properly checked that you motherboard allows you current GPU.

About device manager, he means that are there any yellow marks on the side of any of the devices. If there is then, it's a hardware problem.

So has problem solved yet?

Let me tell you a secret. :secret: . Leet is the best person that can help you on any PC problems. ;)

LOL thanks for the compliment but I am not the best. If I were the best then I would be able to explain to you what is DMI data pool ;). I don't really know what it is but I believe it stores some variables on nvram with regard to your hardware configuration and cpu microcode capabilities. That may be completely wrong but that's what I think it is. This is why it is recommended to clear it on BIOS flashing because the system parameters and capabilities may change and therefore the DMI needs to be updated.
Well... I'm back and it was a failure but I havent updated the Chipset Driver, the link didnt work but will find it so hold on :)

Do I have to do anything else when I'v updated the bios? then instal the bios do I have go inte bios and do something there?

Yes the links don't work. Apparently AMD has an anto-leech system so I could not directly link to the exe files. the ones you need are the Full Suite Catalyst 9.7 for Vista 64, and the Motherboard (individual drivers/chipset) South Bridge Driver 9.7 for Vista 64.

You could check through the BIOS and spy on any settings that may cause conflicts.

This is most likely a problem with your VGA card, I'm sorry I didn't take time to read through the whole thread, but if you haven't already done so update your drivers. If that doesn't work try visiting the AMD site for your latest CPU updates.

I also read something about adding/removing /usepmtimer to your boot.ini file, I tried it when I had this problem and it did seem to have effect.

@Awesomeness it self:

I'm just guessing, but it's probably 3 things:

1. Your hardware (graphics card)

2. Your software (graphics card driver)

3. Your PSU (Power Supply Unit)

If it's #1, try using a spare graphics card and test whether it produces the same symptoms.

If you don't have a spare graphics card, try using the alleged graphics card in another PC.

If it's #2, which I think is highly unlikely since you're using the latest driver.

If you are using an updated driver, try using older version.

If you are not using an updated driver, then it's time to update.

If it's #3, then it's time to replace the PSU.

Sometimes the PSU gets damaged for some reasons like:

1. Over Heat

2. Over Load

3. Over Use

Especially when the PC demands much from the PSU.

How to tell if the PSU is damaged: Link

@DKT27:

Read this: Link

• Administrator

Leet, my experience. You are the best one when in problems.

Thanx for the link Bizarre™ but should I clear dmi?

Archived